New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
3 questions -- hood, iDrive, DSC/DTC

1. Long hood – on my commute, I need to go through a T-intersection. I need to turn right & have a Stop sign. Cross traffic doesn’t need to stop and “flies” through the intersection. Even with my current car, if a larger car/truck/SUV pulls up next to me (to make a left turn), I have a hard time seeing the traffic. I have to inch forward, sometimes quite a bit, to see what’s coming from the left. If no one is behind me, I simply roll backwards a bit to see through the other car’s windows or even get behind the other car. Likewise if a large car is already at the intersection – I simply stop a car length before the Stop sign. And now to the question (finally): with the long hood, I would think that inching forward in such a situation can cause the car to be too far in the intersection really quick? And be hit by other cars? Anybody experienced that?

2. I read somewhere (I think it was www.bmwblog.com) that the Z4 IDrive system would get a speech recognition update in September? (Something about being able to say song titles and whole sentences more “naturally”.) Is that something which can be upgraded on a 2009 (software update)? Or is that a MY 2010 feature?

3. Reading the manual available online, I am a bit confused about DSC and DTC? Turning off DSC automatically activates DTC? They recommend using DTC on snow covered roads instead of DSC? That doesn’t sound right?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
1. Long hood – on my commute, I need to go through a T-intersection. I need to turn right & have a Stop sign. Cross traffic doesn’t need to stop and “flies” through the intersection. Even with my current car, if a larger car/truck/SUV pulls up next to me (to make a left turn), I have a hard time seeing the traffic. I have to inch forward, sometimes quite a bit, to see what’s coming from the left. If no one is behind me, I simply roll backwards a bit to see through the other car’s windows or even get behind the other car. Likewise if a large car is already at the intersection – I simply stop a car length before the Stop sign. And now to the question (finally): with the long hood, I would think that inching forward in such a situation can cause the car to be too far in the intersection really quick? And be hit by other cars? Anybody experienced that?

2. I read somewhere (I think it was www.bmwblog.com) that the Z4 IDrive system would get a speech recognition update in September? (Something about being able to say song titles and whole sentences more “naturally”.) Is that something which can be upgraded on a 2009 (software update)? Or is that a MY 2010 feature?

3. Reading the manual available online, I am a bit confused about DSC and DTC? Turning off DSC automatically activates DTC? They recommend using DTC on snow covered roads instead of DSC? That doesn’t sound right?
Turning off Stability Control does not automatically activate Traction Control. The default setting for Traction Control is set to off, so you actually have to turn it on yourself. For snowy roads, using Traction Control is correct as it will slow down the wheel spin and allow the tires to bite.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Peej
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: VW Golf 3 Cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Turning off Stability Control does not automatically activate Traction Control. The default setting for Traction Control is set to off, so you actually have to turn it on yourself. For snowy roads, using Traction Control is correct as it will slow down the wheel spin and allow the tires to bite.
By default DSC is on, press the DTC button once and the Dynamic Traction Control program is activated and allows a bit of wheelspin. if you press and hold the DTC button for 5 or more seconds DSC will be disabled and you can go nuts
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
1. Long hood – on my commute <SNIP> And now to the question (finally): with the long hood, I would think that inching forward in such a situation can cause the car to be too far in the intersection really quick? And be hit by other cars? Anybody experienced that?
Wow dude, you may be too paranoid but hey, i can't knock your excellent taste in cars
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow dude, you may be too paranoid but hey, i can't knock your excellent taste in cars
Thanks ... I guess I don't like my cars smashed into by other cars ...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej View Post
By default DSC is on, press the DTC button once and the Dynamic Traction Control program is activated and allows a bit of wheelspin. if you press and hold the DTC button for 5 or more seconds DSC will be disabled and you can go nuts
Thanks Peej and BlueZ4AZ!
Appreciate 0