New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-24-2023, 05:40 PM   #3103
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Tesla bursts into flames on Pennsylvania highway
A Tesla was burnt beyond recognition Tuesday after a large piece of debris became lodged underneath the car on a Pennsylvania highway.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/18/tesla-...vania-highway/

I read another report that is was likely an ice ball off a tractor trailer.
Last month a tank trailer hauling roughly 9000 gallons of gasoline shutdown I95 after it burned, killing the driver and causing an overpass to collapse.

https://www.wsaz.com/2023/06/11/tank...rities%20said.
      07-24-2023, 06:05 PM   #3104
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not flaming, just goofing around
You left out the Hindenburg disaster references?
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61905.00
      07-24-2023, 06:15 PM   #3105
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
The free market (if allowed) will determine the winner.

Fun fact:DOE Announces $20 Million to Produce Clean Hydrogen From Nuclear Power

This innovative approach will allow clean hydrogen to serve as a source for zero-carbon electricity and represent an important economic product for nuclear plants beyond electricity.

https://www.energy.gov/articles/doe-...-nuclear-power
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 07:20 PM   #3106
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Last month a tank trailer hauling roughly 9000 gallons of gasoline shutdown I95 after it burned, killing the driver and causing an overpass to collapse.

https://www.wsaz.com/2023/06/11/tank...rities%20said.

A man from North Carolina has been killed while he was working on a new Tesla Motors auto charging station in Virginia.

https://www.christmasinjurylawyers.c...rging-station/
Appreciate 1
M5Rick61905.00
      07-24-2023, 08:24 PM   #3107
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-addicted View Post
you left out the hindenburg disaster references? :d
I LIKE it!

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #3108
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I'm assuming so "The range is a claimed 310 miles"
haha....

No, you don't understand.

Hydrogen has to be stored at insane pressures...the tanks and systems in cars generally can't handle it, so it has to be gassed off and can't sit, might explode...Sure, if you fill it up you might get 300 miles...but you can't fill it up and then let it sit.

Maybe they figured it out...but hydrogen has serious issues that EVs do not suffer from. I do see hydrogen as a possible fuel in some situations, like ships and possible long-range trucking/transportation, but I think this will be pretty limited as far as passenger vehicles, no big advantages that outweigh the huge disadvantages.
      07-25-2023, 05:40 AM   #3109
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

With what I've read so far, any thoughts of a hydrogen powered road car gets me thinking of a bomb ready to go off and incinerating the occupants.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2023, 06:13 AM   #3110
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Hmmmm... Looks like the ICE is the answer.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17487.50
M5Rick61905.00
      07-25-2023, 06:18 AM   #3111
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
haha....

No, you don't understand.

Hydrogen has to be stored at insane pressures...the tanks and systems in cars generally can't handle it, so it has to be gassed off and can't sit, might explode...Sure, if you fill it up you might get 300 miles...but you can't fill it up and then let it sit.

Maybe they figured it out...but hydrogen has serious issues that EVs do not suffer from. I do see hydrogen as a possible fuel in some situations, like ships and possible long-range trucking/transportation, but I think this will be pretty limited as far as passenger vehicles, no big advantages that outweigh the huge disadvantages.
We all saw what happened when a 5" thick carbon fiber tank subject to cold temps and high pressures tried to visit the Titanic. Besides the pressure involved, stored liquid hydrogen is very cold too at -400 deg. F. No thanks.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61905.00
      07-25-2023, 07:28 AM   #3112
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmmmm... Looks like the ICE is the answer.
Or a healthy balance of all the current available tech, the consumer can best choose whatever that suit their needs, whether that'd be ICE, PHEV, or EV, or even a small percentage of H2 or whatever else the world's boffins can come up with.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 6
gblansten2112.00
lakefront568.00
KRS_SN13736.00
M5Rick61905.00
      07-25-2023, 08:20 AM   #3113
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
A man from North Carolina has been killed while he was working on a new Tesla Motors auto charging station in Virginia.

https://www.christmasinjurylawyers.c...rging-station/
Man died near me after his ICE crash and fire -https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-man-dead...032443708.html

We can continue but none of this means much of anything without actual data. Virtually never ending supply of my replies on ICE fires if people want them.
      07-25-2023, 08:37 AM   #3114
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Man died near me after his ICE crash and fire -https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-man-dead...032443708.html

We can continue but none of this means much of anything without actual data. Virtually never ending supply of my replies on ICE fires if people want them.
I agree that there is likely being too much made out of EV fires without data to show there is a higher number of them as a percentage catching fire.

I think the issue with the fires is how difficult they are to put out and how dangerous they are once they catch fire, or have been in a minor accident and the risk of a damaged battery catching fire.

Perhaps the severity of the fires gets more attention, but given that EV's make up less than 1% of vehicles on the roads there seems to be a high number of reported fires.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 08:42 AM   #3115
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I agree that there is likely being too much made out of EV fires without data to show there is a higher number of them as a percentage catching fire.

I think the issue with the fires is how difficult they are to put out and how dangerous they are once they catch fire, or have been in a minor accident and the risk of a damaged battery catching fire.

Perhaps the severity of the fires gets more attention, but given that EV's make up less than 1% of vehicles on the roads there seems to be a high number of reported fires.
It’s a man bites dog story. ICE fires are old and boring. EV fires are more interesting at present to report.
Appreciate 1
Socal_R82448.00
      07-25-2023, 08:55 AM   #3116
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post

I think there are far more EV fires reported because they make for news that people are interested in reading. With the number of vehicle fires well over 100k per year I don't think people care about reading about most of them.

I agree putting them out is a problem but without data it's just a never post of news articles about an individual fire.

Here's an interesting bit of data, (2018 but guessing overall number of fires doesn't change drastically year to year, as you pointed out EV's are a tiny part of the total) and it's why when I hear about one EV catching fire/in the news it is close to meaningless to me. -

Quote:
An estimated 212,500 vehicle fires caused 560 civilian deaths, 1,500 civilian injuries; and $1.9 billion in direct property damage in the US during 2018.
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/US-Fire-Problem/osvehiclefires.pdf
      07-25-2023, 09:23 AM   #3117
Radix!
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Fossil fuels are the original renewable resource. We are creating them now as the climate zombies whine about global climate change. Today's climate zombie will be tomorrow's petro deposit.
There is not enough exploitation of lithium, Vanadium, cobalt and nickel to cover the amount of batteries necessary for the global objective of automotive electrification. (there is also no responsibility for batteries that become unusable)

There are a lot of places in the world full of Oil, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cuba, Chile and Argentina in Patagonia, not to mention Antarctica, even coal.
The problem is that not everyone is authorized to start operations there so as not to flood the market. (only a handful of people control that)

I prefer to fill the tank in 5 to 10 minutes stop and have a range of 800km than to wait more than an hour for a range of 300km. (if I find where to recharge energy)

And regarding climate zombies, do you think that giving money to politicians will clean up the planet?, Better ask them to stop making disposable things and reuse more
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61905.00
      07-25-2023, 09:45 AM   #3118
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

It's not just the EV fires which are near impossible to put out compared with say a petrol (gas) or diesel fire which can be put out quickly when the fire brigade arrives or by a hand held portable fire extinguisher if quick action is taken, (I carry one in my car which is in the trunk)
It's not knowing when or where an EV will suddenly erupt on fire so quickly for no known reason whether it's being driven, parked up or being charged, and the risk from electric bikes as seen in shown vids is also is very concerning.
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2023, 03:09 PM   #3119
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
haha....
No, you don't understand.\
No, as usual you don't understand. Hydrogen engine in video is a Not a hydrogen fuel cell.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 03:20 PM   #3120
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Man I still can’t wait for 2030!
      07-25-2023, 03:45 PM   #3121
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Man I still can’t wait for 2030!
You going to pull all those minerals out of your ass to make all those batteries? You better have a great proctologist.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 04:29 PM   #3122
Socal_R8
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
If that's what you think, go for it. Your opinions of me have no bearing on the greater debate at hand.

You epitomize the notion that this green EV push is about money and virtue signaling, not saving the planet.

This is the reason so many in "the middle" are skeptical about all these great green programs. You don't have solar for being green, you have it so you can save money on power and sell any surplus power at on-peak rates. You charge your car at night using fossil generation as you "buy back" that green surplus because it's cheaper. Problem is : what you buy back is not green. You are still part of the problem while touting your green status. Even if you sold more power than you used - including the fossil power that you buy back at night to charge your EV, you are still part of the problem- you are consuming fossil energy. And society is being forced to subsidize your model. This is one of the reasons why people are getting frustrated with subsidizing these technologies.

this is just ignorant on so many levels... I have solar on my home and an EV as a daily driver, even if it is about saving money, it is still doing much more for the climate than doing nothing....i know some of you EV hating climate deniers try to find all these lame anecdotes about how they are more harmful than ICE vehicles, but you sound as ridiculous as flat earther's. The ideas behind it are laughable...

the smartest scientists in the world could tell you all of the realities of how we are heading for an irreversable cataclysmic disaster and you still wouldnt belive it...sadly this has become political like most things, instead of just plain common sense and about doing the right thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/clim...rming-faq.html

subsidies?? lol yall act like EV's are the only thing being subsidized

Size of Fossil Fuel Subsidies
Globally, fossil fuel subsidies are were $5.9 trillion or 6.8 percent of GDP in 2020 and are expected to increase to 7.4 percent of GDP in 2025 as the share of fuel consumption in emerging markets (where price gaps are generally larger) continues to climb.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fac...societal-costs
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 04:35 PM   #3123
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
this is just ignorant on so many levels... I have solar on my home and an EV as a daily driver, even if it is about saving money, it is still doing much more for the climate than doing nothing....i know some of you EV hating climate deniers try to find all these lame anecdotes about how they are more harmful than ICE vehicles, but you sound as ridiculous as flat earther's. The ideas behind it are laughable...

the smartest scientists in the world could tell you all of the realities of how we are heading for an irreversable cataclysmic disaster and you still wouldnt belive it...sadly this has become political like most things, instead of just plain common sense and about doing the right thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/clim...rming-faq.html

subsidies?? lol yall act like EV's are the only thing being subsidized

Size of Fossil Fuel Subsidies
Globally, fossil fuel subsidies are were $5.9 trillion or 6.8 percent of GDP in 2020 and are expected to increase to 7.4 percent of GDP in 2025 as the share of fuel consumption in emerging markets (where price gaps are generally larger) continues to climb.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fac...societal-costs
All that typing and you didn't refute anything I wrote, but it did include insults.

For the record I'm not an EV hater, I'm a realist. Reality is, these aren't the solution that they are being sold as. It borders on fraud.
Appreciate 3
PhaceN52174.50
M5Rick61905.00
      07-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #3124
Socal_R8
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
All that typing and you didn't refute anything I wrote, but it did include insults.

For the record I'm not an EV hater, I'm a realist. Reality is, these aren't the solution that they are being sold as. It borders on fraud.

dude, read some actual studies by actual scientest who don't have an agenda...

read the MIT study on EV vs ICE and many others out there that basically say the same thing....
Appreciate 0