New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-23-2022, 01:22 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Dexter / Dexter - New Blood Discussion thread (***SPOILERS***)

Continuing from that TV series thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Re. original Dexter, I am a pragmatist at heart and to me, he was boxed in, had no choice. In fact, the ending to the second series shows, he was right to do what he did at the end of the first!

The ending to New Blood was clearly a reaction to the poor feedback to the ending of the original series. SO they went right up the middle and did a stereotype ending to please people and they still complain.
Re the original's ending, I didn't have a bad reaction but found out that many fans didn't like it. It made sense to me, even though it was kinda weird he took Deb's body w him...I guess he wanted to be together in death. No one was really his match in the entire series so if he had to die, it would be by his own doing. I was only wondering if he really wanted to die or was it a setup to fake his death.

In contrast, it's utterly ironic how the creators imho screwed up New Blood's ending, esp considering all the backlash for the first one and how they had years to think of a good ending and try to 'fix things'.

There were quite a few holes that could be overlooked (e.g. failed to follow on lead that many missing women were last seen near the diner and how come Angela was no Sherlock w the town's main case but suddenly expertly catches whiff of Dexter/Bay Harbor Butcher, Deb replacing Harry was pretty bad - what an annoying ghost lmao, etc) as the series was still entertaining/riveting generally up to the moment Dexter escapes the holding cell by intentionally killing(!) Logan even though the case against him wasn't a slamdunk...you'd think a lynchmob was coming w/i the hr to string him up! Then he's all weird and out-of-character "but there's a death penalty in Florida!" and the only way to 'cure' Harrison is for his first kill to be his father(!) and Harrison's totally fine w that; why not just arrest him? Why didn't Dex wipe the blood away so Harrison wouldn't be asking all those pesky questions? Then Angela shows up and sets him free(what?!), telling him to go fugitive asap but he decides to take a drive through memory lane in the middle of town lol. They tease Angel and NOTHING. I'm probably missing lots of other stuff but I can't even....

It's as if someone else took over from the holding cell scene onwards and he thought "recording time is EXPENSIVE!" and he shut down the story in the fastest way possible.

In the end, I guess the final victim was the audience, all wrapped up in cheap plastic, w the big knife going through our collective hearts, a big *U from the creators to us: "You guys wanted Dex to die?? Huh? Well, here you go!!! Satisfied? Now shut up already!" Haha.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I agree it felt rushed, it was slowly building then suddenly sort of got to the point too fast, they could have run another 2 to 3 episodes quite easily. The female lead was very good and could have been explored more re. as she unfolded the facts.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
When Angela met Battista, I definitely thought they were going to go down a different road. There were so many good possibilities.
      02-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I agree it felt rushed, it was slowly building then suddenly sort of got to the point too fast, they could have run another 2 to 3 episodes quite easily. The female lead was very good and could have been explored more re. as she unfolded the facts.
Yup, for sure could've gone a few more episodes. If they decide to do s2 w Harrison, I dunno about that, even w Dexter as his 'Harry'. He's just not likable and has a very punchable face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
When Angela met Battista, I definitely thought they were going to go down a different road. There were so many good possibilities.
So many possibilities wasted. Like that billionaire...what a silly red-herring, just totally useless as if they had to cut the season short and hence no development on that guy and he just got cut.

When they first met, Angel was acting like a dog flirting w her, and when she calls him he's like "Hey, I'm all happily-married!". Writing was all over the place. Horrible they teased him and nothing came of it.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 12:19 AM   #5
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

I liked the reboot because I was one of those that disliked the finale of the original show. I loved how they handled Dexter restarting his life. I agree Harrison was just a little douchebag and I could have done without him. All in all though, I thought they did a good job even though I think they whimped out by killing Dex. I sort of think they should have faked his death (again), then he and Harrison head out to LA. Very easy to hide in plain sight in LA. That way if they decided to restart the show they would have a good base to go with
Appreciate 0