New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-15-2023, 11:10 AM   #4511
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
LOL this occurred Thanksgiving 2022. This thread is a bit of a time capsule.
But it still happened. - so I’m not sure what your answer means? He has to pull an example from yesterday or today of EVs being garbage?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:15 AM   #4512
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
But it still happened
Tesla can’t be that bad if people are having to go back to last year to find concerns.

Phantom braking in an X3.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507674

Phantom braking in an X5.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1852615

Phantom braking has definitely been an issue with Tesla and many cars with driving aids.

I don’t use the auto drive system in my car because I like to drive. False auto braking would definitely bother me.

Last edited by gblansten; 10-15-2023 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:29 AM   #4513
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Tesla the biggest tech company(mis) sells full self driving for 10k but still can't get basic cruise control right. How big a mug does one have to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:36 AM   #4514
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Tesla can’t be that bad if people are having to go back to last year to find concerns.

Phantom braking in an X3.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507674

Phantom braking in an X5.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1852615

Phantom braking has definitely been an issue with Tesla and many cars with driving aids.

I don’t use the auto drive system in my car because I like to drive. False auto braking would definitely bother me.
They also are like 2% of the market share.
Imagine Shilling for a company that gives zero cares about you.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:37 AM   #4515
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They also are like 2% of the market share.
Imagine Shilling for a company that gives zero cares about you.
I’m sitting here imagining shilling for a company.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 12:12 PM   #4516
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
LOL this occurred Thanksgiving 2022. This thread is a bit of a time capsule.
I wonder if the lawsuits against Tesla have gone to court some 11 months later. Lawsuits take time. I'll have to follow up on it. If I had been caught in that accident I'd be suing the living crap out of Tesla.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick61831.00
      10-15-2023, 12:21 PM   #4517
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I've been in a model s when it phantom braked itself from 80mph to 30mph on the highway as it detected a speed sign of a road bridge over the highway. Extremely dangerous event.
But wait, just a 24 months or so ago in the threads on autonomous driving, were we not just years away from Level 5?

And earlier in this thread on the topic of the MG EV SZ that wouldn't stop, were we not scolded on the fact that EV have ICEV-like braking systems INDEPENDENT and UPSTREAM from regen braking, and have similar fail rates? If a Tesla EV can stop on its own, then cannot a MG EV not stop on its own?

I'd say the Thanksgiving day Tesla event is an example of "Fail-AFU". Perhaps the Tesla got a bit looped on electrons directly from the sun (you know pure uncut electrons) and decided to brakecheck the car behind it?

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-16-2023 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13729.00
M5Rick61831.00
AmuroRay2374.50
      10-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #4518
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
But wait, just a 24 months or so ago in the threads on autonomous driving, were we not just years away from Level 5?

And earlier in this thread on the topic of the MG EV SZ that wouldn't stop, were we not scolded on the fact that EV have ICEV-like braking systems INDEPENDENT and UPSTREAM from regen braking, and have similar fail rates? If a Tesla EV can stop on its own, then cannot a MG EV not stop on its own?

I'd say the Thanksgiving day Tesla event is an example of "Fail-UFU". Perhaps the Tesla got a bit looped on electrons directly from the sun (you know pure uncut electrons) and decided to brakecheck the car behind it?
I suspect that the same people telling us that EV's will be the be all and end all by 2030 are the same people that were hyping autonomous level 5 cars being in every driveway in 5 years. I remember posting how that wasn't going to happen for a myriad of different reasons not unlike the commons sense issues with EV's and being told I didn't know what I was talking about.

Oh well, what do I know. I think I'll go sit in my hot tub and enjoy the afternoon.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61831.00
AmuroRay2374.50
      10-15-2023, 06:34 PM   #4519
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
The next level of insanity.

Appreciate 3
      10-15-2023, 10:21 PM   #4520
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

What does self driving have to do with EVs again? My corolla did better "self driving" with an aftermarket $900 device than my model 3 does. GM and Ford offer their version of "self driving" on many ICE vehicles. Waymo which I think is technically the only one actually self driving uses freaking minivans.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 02:55 AM   #4521
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I don't know of any gas cars that are 100% 'self driving' in England apart from self park on some small cars and maybe lane centering also.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 03:34 AM   #4522
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
What does self driving have to do with EVs again? My corolla did better "self driving" with an aftermarket $900 device than my model 3 does. GM and Ford offer their version of "self driving" on many ICE vehicles. Waymo which I think is technically the only one actually self driving uses freaking minivans.
Well, on a platform basis just their respective large body-on-frame pickups/large body-on-frame SUV. So, just one ICEV platform each.

The connection is: "EV are the future" and "Level 5 autonomy is the future", so EV w/ Self-Driving is the future.

While it's great to have technological goals, some are silly pipe dreams. They are silly because the technology they are replacing is already very good and the cost and societal impact are are not worth any perceived improvement either will bring.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-16-2023 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61831.00
      10-16-2023, 04:40 AM   #4523
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
For what it worth I have driven/been driven tesla on autopilot and my bmw's have driving assistant professional. No phantom braking that I've experienced in the BMW(not yet over 12k miles) and the smoothness and the refinement of the system is better than the tesla. The point I'm making is that we must take the claims with regards to EV with a pinch of salt given how robotaxis and boring company and FSD etc..hype and social media pump ups.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61831.00
      10-16-2023, 08:21 AM   #4524
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

There was an article I read about an EV that would not sop (brakes not working), and kept driving. Worse still, the driver could not shut it down.

He managed to steer it into the back of a truck (with the help of the local law enforcement) that allowed him to slow down and stop.

Now imagine these cars with everything done through software, including steering. That sounds like a recipe for your car killing you. Better still, imagine someone being able to hack the car remotely and assume control over it?
      10-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #4525
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
There was an article I read about an EV that would not sop (brakes not working), and kept driving. Worse still, the driver could not shut it down.

He managed to steer it into the back of a truck (with the help of the local law enforcement) that allowed him to slow down and stop.

Now imagine these cars with everything done through software, including steering. That sounds like a recipe for your car killing you. Better still, imagine someone being able to hack the car remotely and assume control over it?
Probably safer than people playing with their phones without it.
      10-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #4526
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, on a platform basis just their respective large body-on-frame pickups/large body-on-frame SUV. So, just one ICEV platform each.

The connection is: "EV are the future" and "Level 5 autonomy is the future", so EV w/ Self-Driving is the future.

While it's great to have technological goals, some are silly pipe dreams. They are silly because the technology they are replacing is already very good and the cost and societal impact are are not worth any perceived improvement either will bring.
Well I guess we went from an EV bashing thread to a self driving bashing thread. Might as well just make it a technology bashing thread to cover all bases.

I'm sure people thought the horse and buggy were perfectly fine and trying to come up with some self propelled contraption was just a silly pipe dream. I'm sure the same can be said for most technology.

BTW the only person I know claiming FSD is the be all end all and claiming it will be here next year is Musk. Everyone I know including some Tesla fanbois all think FSD is bs and not happening anytime soon.
Appreciate 1
gblansten2107.50
      10-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #4527
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Post #4341
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 10:39 AM   #4528
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

It doesn't stop with EV's, hacking a target in an EV for instance by a hit man. Who says it's unlikely to happen.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 10:57 AM   #4529
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

I drove home from the airport last night in my Tesla and nothing caught fire and no phantom braking and no animals were harmed. I always follow ASPCA guidelines when driving my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 11:49 AM   #4530
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Well I guess we went from an EV bashing thread to a self driving bashing thread. Might as well just make it a technology bashing thread to cover all bases.

I'm sure people thought the horse and buggy were perfectly fine and trying to come up with some self propelled contraption was just a silly pipe dream. I'm sure the same can be said for most technology.

BTW the only person I know claiming FSD is the be all end all and claiming it will be here next year is Musk. Everyone I know including some Tesla fanbois all think FSD is bs and not happening anytime soon.
The horse and buggy as a comparative technology analogy is at first a tired counterpoint and second not applicable to EV vs. ICEV discussions regardless. If EV takes over from ICEV under natural market conditions and progression then great, but that is not what is happening.

If the person who essentially created Tesla into what it is today believes FSD is the solution to a safer driving environment and other manufacturers are following Tesla, then it seems the INDUSTRY believes FSD (and its copies) is the solution.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick61831.00
      10-16-2023, 02:14 PM   #4531
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The horse and buggy as a comparative technology analogy is at first a tired counterpoint and second not applicable to EV vs. ICEV discussions regardless. If EV takes over from ICEV under natural market conditions and progression then great, but that is not what is happening.

If the person who essentially created Tesla into what it is today believes FSD is the solution to a safer driving environment and other manufacturers are following Tesla, then it seems the INDUSTRY believes FSD (and its copies) is the solution.
Just because it's true doesn't make it "tired". As of right now there is no EV mandate, which I also don't agree with, so most people buying EVs are doing so because they find it to be a compelling product. As for EV credits, while I don't agree with them, a lot of EVs do not qualify and Tesla had no credits for the past like 2 years and they still sold like hot cakes. You could offer a $15k tax credit on a minivan and I still wouldn't buy one... because it sucks.

As for FSD I don't know what you mean, but just because some people believe it's the future doesn't mean it's the now. I don't know what your point is there. The technology will suck before it stops sucking... that's how technology usually works. LED light bulbs were horrible garbage when they came out. Now I don't think I own any incandescent bulbs and I don't miss them at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:07 PM   #4532
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Self driving is the future whether you want it or not.

And honestly, as long as i can also drive myself if i want to, bring it on.

Ford's bluecruise is great for long highway drives and I wont buy any car that cant drive itself on at least the highway.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0