E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 rear wiper on a go slow? DIY Fix

01-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

Noticed my rear wiper was a tad slow. Wondered if it was just my imagination. Couple of days ago it parked a bit short after sweeping slowly over the window.

Pulled the wiper off and then noticed the shaft was a bit tight in the bush. You know that when you open the glass the wiper can be moved by hand normally but mine was stiff!

Took the trim off the inside then working from the outside you already have the wiper nut, washer and wiper arm off. Next is a cresent washer or mini circlip looking washer which locates in a groove to hold the spindle in. Remove this and then the washer below and then the rubber o ring. If yours is like mine the shaft will need tapped out. Tap from the outside and knock the pin in and catch it.

Give it a clean up then grease and refit and it should be back to as good as new. Mine is, in fact it now seems to be going really quickly prob as I had been seeing its slow demise gradually.

Here is a pic of the spindle shaft before cleaning with fine wet/dry. Good idea to clean out the bush too.

Be sure to do this before it actually seizes as by then the motor might be beyond repair. To regularly check just open the tailgate glass and see how free the arm moves. If stiff then do this, it only takes 30 mins
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesney72 View Post
...Be sure to do this before it actually seizes as by then the motor might be beyond repair. To regularly check just open the tailgate glass and see how free the arm moves. If stiff then do this, it only takes 30 mins
Good reminder.

I've had to sort mine out a couple of times in the last two years. First noticed a different sound when stood in traffic, on inspection, was just like your picture. As you say, an easy check to ensure a seized wiper spindle doesn't burn out the motor.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
ajmccormack
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D E91

Thanks for the tip - needed a bit of persuasion to come out tho'
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Sk00v
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccormack View Post
Thanks for the tip - needed a bit of persuasion to come out tho'
Great little tip OP . My wiper stopped completely but a strip down and re-grease seems to have sorted it. I also required a persuadertron to get it to come out, in the form of a large wooden mallet!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Arch Stanton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i touring

i just manually moved mine from one side to the other with the glass up to free it off a bit, a liberal squirt of wd40, move it a few more sweeps and bingo, job done
Appreciate 0