E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Thieving Ba$tard$ tried to make off with my wheels - 19" E92

02-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Datsun Sunny

Thieving Ba$tard$ tried to make off with my wheels - 19" E92

Just a warning to all E92 19" drivers to be wary of thieves currently targeting BMWs. Car was on driveway in nice residential area, they have the master key for all 32 types of locking wheel nuts.

They damaged my patio using the bricks to prop up the car then undid all the nuts. Thankfully someone must have disturbed them as they left all the wheels there minus the nuts.

My advice change your BMW locking wheel nuts for other high security brands as clearly the BMW ones are useless as they have the master key. I spoke to my BMW indpendant who told me he knew of 4 more cases of the same targeting 19" rims due to high value and lots of replacement of cracked rims.

beleive i am hiding in the bushes with a bat tonight.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
stevenqdz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi e90

Garage List
2008 e90 335xi  [0.00]
damn its been a while since i heard that ppl still r stealing rims....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

barstewards!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Mate, sorry to hear this.

Least they didnt get away with them. Have you changed the locking wheel nut's yet?
      02-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
its not just BM's they nick heres a link to a local land-rover garage wheres all the cctv lol
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235274
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Don Miaggie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Mate, i whole heartedly sympathise!! I had my standard 19" nicked July last year, well 3 of them before i disturbed them with my little friend!!! Not called The Don for nothing!! lol

Evo Mk V or McGard Ultra are the ones i went for, went for one of each, not taking any chances!!
      02-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Datsun Sunny

yeah went to halfords and got the McGard ones. with the McGard professional on order.

BMW Emergency Service had to come around as i didnt have a jack and the car was periliusly teatering on bricks with the thieving scum bags leaving only 4 nuts for 4 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

i'm sure when i bought my car the dealer said lifting of the car would activate the alarm, or this is just the case if it is going to be towed away????
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by simples View Post
i'm sure when i bought my car the dealer said lifting of the car would activate the alarm, or this is just the case if it is going to be towed away????
Jacking up the car one wheel at a time should certainly activate the tilt sensor and therefore the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
kizzz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I had the local PCSO come round bout a year ago. They were driving around the area looking for bmw`s parked in driveways. They warned me of an organised gang who have stolen over 150 wheels in my area alone and they are on the look out for them.

My adivce change to different locking wheel nuts.
      02-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Ham09
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A sh*t box

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
The buggers!! It's very difficult to jack a car up on my gravel drive, since the jack would just sink into the ground, so they'd have to move the car first or put flag stones under it making it a nightmare for them.

Maybe an option here is to park your car in such a way it makes it difficult to jack it up e.g. close to a wall or something? I guess they would still nick half your wheels though.

I like the idea of an additional set of locking nuts. Not sure you can torque locking nuts as tight though.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by skansa View Post
Just a warning to all E92 19" drivers to be wary of thieves currently targeting BMWs. Car was on driveway in nice residential area, they have the master key for all 32 types of locking wheel nuts.

They damaged my patio using the bricks to prop up the car then undid all the nuts. Thankfully someone must have disturbed them as they left all the wheels there minus the nuts.

My advice change your BMW locking wheel nuts for other high security brands as clearly the BMW ones are useless as they have the master key. I spoke to my BMW indpendant who told me he knew of 4 more cases of the same targeting 19" rims due to high value and lots of replacement of cracked rims.

beleive i am hiding in the bushes with a bat tonight.
make sure the bat is a nice soft rubber one otherwise you could end up doing 2 years while the thieves are let loose to carry on nicking! and make sure they dont trip up on your driveway as they are carrying your wheels away otherwise they may sue you, im sure theyd like a nice cup ot tea while they are nicking your wheels just make sure its not too hot!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Were these 225Ms that were being stolen? Or another style?

Its nothing new that thieves have all the factory locks - mate had his new M3 wheels nicked in 2002. Same story from dealer, get some McGuard or AC Schnitzer locking nuts.....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
fuckin cunts...they need to be tortured....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

You need to install one of these at your house!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #16
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Edition Sport

My wife's 118d Sport Convertible was relieved of her alloys Thusday night/ Friday morning. They knocked down a section of my front wall to get at it! Can't believe we all slept through it!

Have replaced with a set of BMW performance wheels that Doug at Wycombe persuaded me were much nicer...wife and kids are not so sure...

Last edited by Darren Edwards @ Sytner; 02-06-2010 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:11 AM   #17
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Edwards @ Sytner View Post
My wife's 118d Sport Convertible was relieved of her alloys Thusday night/ Friday morning. They knocked down a section of my front wall to get at it! Can't believe we all slept through it!

Have replaced with a set of BMW performance wheels that Doug at Wycombe presuaded me were much nicer...wife and kids are not so sure...

Seems the nobheads will go to quite extreme lengths to get a set of wheels.
Have you fitted a set of locking nuts other than the ones BMW supply?

I use two difffering types per wheel (non BMW),seemed excessive when I first put them on, but now it seems the best thing to do!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:16 AM   #18
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

Seems the nobheads will go to quite extreme lengths to get a set of wheels.
Have you fitted a set of locking nuts other than the ones BMW supply?

I use two difffering types per wheel (non BMW),seemed excessive when I first put them on, but now it seems the best thing to do!
I am looking at buying a set of McGuard Ultra as well as the standard BMW ones. The std BMW ones are next to useless it seems, not sure about the newer versions but not reassured by them.

Any balancing issues Hotcoupe with the fitting of 2 x locking bolts?

Which second set did you fit?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:37 AM   #19
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I am looking at buying a set of McGuard Ultra as well as the standard BMW ones. The std BMW ones are next to useless it seems, not sure about the newer versions but not reassured by them.

Any balancing issues Hotcoupe with the fitting of 2 x locking bolts?

Which second set did you fit?
Jon, I don't use the BMW locks at all.

I have one Mcguard and one Grayston engineering lock per wheel.

http://www.mcgard.com/Applications/A...1MC%2bkg%3d%3d

http://www.graystonengineering.com/wheelnutmenu.htm

I've not experienced any problems with balancing.

The BMW locks offer no protection at all, they are easy to remove as quite a few people have found to their cost unfortunately.

I think two locks per wheel is the max in terms of the MOT, however you can always take any others off (should you have more than two pw) prior to a test.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #20
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Jon, I don't use the BMW locks at all.

I have one Mcguard and one Grayston engineering lock per wheel.

http://www.mcgard.com/Applications/A...1MC%2bkg%3d%3d

http://www.graystonengineering.com/wheelnutmenu.htm

I've not experienced any problems with balancing.

The BMW locks offer no protection at all, they are easy to remove as quite a few people have found to their cost unfortunately.

I think two locks per wheel is the max in terms of the MOT, however you can always take any others off (should you have more than two pw) prior to a test.
The lengths we have to go to, thanks for the info. I am going to buy a set of mc guard ultra ASAP. Luckily my car goes in the garage at night so that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #21
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
I asked an MOT inspector about the permitted number of locking lugs because I have 20 on my car. He said that there was nothing in the inspection about locking lugs. The inspection does say that there must be a full complement of lugs for the wheels.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #22
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I asked an MOT inspector about the permitted number of locking lugs because I have 20 on my car. He said that there was nothing in the inspection about locking lugs. The inspection does say that there must be a full complement of lugs for the wheels.
'Kin ell' Lloyd, 20 locking nuts!!!!!!!!!
That must be a mare to change a wheel.

Thanks for the info about the MOT, but I'll stop at two locks per wheel, if the Barstards still managed to get the wheel off......................

I'd still want to stab them in the eyes with a pitchfork
Appreciate 0