BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-22-2023, 08:58 AM   #1
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Anyone who went from a F90 to a G80?

Hi everyone,

I am currently in a F90 (my 2nd) and I love it. The lease is up in 11 months and I do not know what to get into next. The G90 will not be available until around Q4 2024.

I like modding cars and I like the versatility of comfort and performance, which the M5 satisfies quite well subjectively. However, I do like the G80 as well, but I have my reservations. I do use my M5 as a family car too, so size and comfort is preferable.

So, to anyone that may have made this transition, can you please express your opinion? Are you happy? Is the rear negligible in size? Is the sound of the 6cyl disappointing? More road noise? Disappointing sound system in comparison to the B&W?

Thank you very much.
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:22 AM   #2
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Pazzo,

Based on other folks' posts, the G80 will be a bit more nimble-feeling, and you will get more road noise than you're used to with your F90s. I don't think any turbo inline six is going to sound as good as a turbo V8, but the S58 does sound better than the S55 did (I've owned both 6's).

As a family car, the rear is smaller than the 5. My SO has a 530e so I'm well-familiar with the backseats on both the current 3 and the current 5. We often have two adults in the back seats of both of our cars. The two who usually ride in back are moderately-sized adults, neither terribly tall or wide, and they are perfectly comfortable in the back of both cars. The trunk on the 3 is smaller than the trunk on the non-hybrid 5, but its not small and it's a good shape.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
Pazzo0091113.00
      01-22-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
F92 > G82

Not quite as much luxury, definitely more agile feeling. F92 was a great highway cruiser, but I like everything else about the G82 better.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      01-22-2023, 10:24 AM   #4
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

I didn't own a f90 but I owned a lot of 7 series cars. I don't miss the room I had in my previous car and although my car was the N63 engine, I don't miss that either. I think what you may miss the most are the amenities you had in the M5 such as stereo, soft close doors and maybe that exhaust sound from a V8. If you can get over that, you will love the car. When I drive mine, I completely forget about stereo, hell I don't even turn my radio on.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1447.50
      01-22-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazzo009 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am currently in a F90 (my 2nd) and I love it. The lease is up in 11 months and I do not know what to get into next. The G90 will not be available until around Q4 2024.

I like modding cars and I like the versatility of comfort and performance, which the M5 satisfies quite well subjectively. However, I do like the G80 as well, but I have my reservations. I do use my M5 as a family car too, so size and comfort is preferable.

So, to anyone that may have made this transition, can you please express your opinion? Are you happy? Is the rear negligible in size? Is the sound of the 6cyl disappointing? More road noise? Disappointing sound system in comparison to the B&W?

Thank you very much.
I'm about to do the opposite.

Lease on my G80 is up fall of 2024 (so not really close lol) and i want to get into an M5C.

The S58 is damn powerful. Like really powerful even stock. I was very impressed. However i do NOT like the sound of the engine. Nor all the negative attention the car gets, kids trying to race, other M owners driving like total dickheads to prove their BMW is better or your G80 sucks because of the grill etc. I wanted something more mature and higher end. And i think an M5 would give that. Plus the V8, there's nothing like a V8. That's the main reason why i wanna switch, the V8.

You said the next gen M5 won't come out until Q4 2024?
      01-22-2023, 02:45 PM   #6
Laoschris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

I went from a F90 to a G80 within the last 5 months, and I love the G80.

My F90 was great all around. Big car, sounded awesome (had Remus exhaust + secondary DP’s), and did everything that I needed it to do….aside from make me feel like I’m driving a sports car.

That’s why I made the switch to the G80. I wanted to drive something “fun”. Like the above posted, the M3 feels nimble. It’s more fun to me, and I feel more engaged with it.

Also, like the above stated, you’re going to get a lot of wrong attention, and you might feel the car is less “mature” than the M5. So if that bothers you, take that into consideration I guess.

I’m 33. No kids, and don’t really care what attention I get. I love the car and am extremely happy with the decision.

Here are pics of both the F90 and G80 now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 17
      01-22-2023, 02:52 PM   #7
jas165
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80

I’m pretty sure someone recently started a thread with more or less the same title, so you may want to run a search 🔍
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 04:05 PM   #8
richysh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Also did the same

Had a 2019 F90 comp with everything except ccb and the car was great.

Roomy interior, extremely powerful straight line performance for its weight and size and roomy trunk.

But i missed the "fun" in it, hence i returned to a G80. I feel like B&W wasnt too great. I did customize the eq to make it better but still didnt feel that much better than HK so im perfectly fine with it in my G80.

Gas tank in the G80 is smaller so you will be visiting pumps more often than the F90, even though G80 gets better gas mileage.

F90 did great in corners for its size and weight but it didnt feel nimble as mentioned above by another member.

G80 does it better and is plenty fast enough so i think you will enjoy it. The S63 with stock exhaust is quiet as hell too so you wont feel bad about stepping down to S58.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2023, 04:42 PM   #9
AWDSOME
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoschris View Post

What wheels are on the G80? They look great 👍
Appreciate 1
DM5PAV375.00
      01-22-2023, 05:29 PM   #10
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
I'm about to do the opposite.

Lease on my G80 is up fall of 2024 (so not really close lol) and i want to get into an M5C.

The S58 is damn powerful. Like really powerful even stock. I was very impressed. However i do NOT like the sound of the engine. Nor all the negative attention the car gets, kids trying to race, other M owners driving like total dickheads to prove their BMW is better or your G80 sucks because of the grill etc. I wanted something more mature and higher end. And i think an M5 would give that. Plus the V8, there's nothing like a V8. That's the main reason why i wanna switch, the V8.

I consider those aspects you present...which drives my reluctance. Part of me wants something more fun, but I feel like it may lose it's luster quickly.

You said the next gen M5 won't come out until Q4 2024?
Yes. Production is supposed to start mid 2024, Europe will get them first, and the US to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoschris View Post
I went from a F90 to a G80 within the last 5 months, and I love the G80.

My F90 was great all around. Big car, sounded awesome (had Remus exhaust + secondary DP’s), and did everything that I needed it to do….aside from make me feel like I’m driving a sports car.

That’s why I made the switch to the G80. I wanted to drive something “fun”. Like the above posted, the M3 feels nimble. It’s more fun to me, and I feel more engaged with it.

Also, like the above stated, you’re going to get a lot of wrong attention, and you might feel the car is less “mature” than the M5. So if that bothers you, take that into consideration I guess.

I’m 33. No kids, and don’t really care what attention I get. I love the car and am extremely happy with the decision.

Both cars are Gorgeous. Thanks for the input.
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 1
Laoschris491.00
      01-22-2023, 05:34 PM   #11
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. Production is supposed to start mid 2024, Europe will get them first, and the US to follow.

Both cars are Gorgeous. Thanks for the input.
Idk man, i think you should stick with the M5, only because it's going to be a hybrid. I think after that, there's no more.

With the M3, BMW even said next gen it'll still have the 6cyl + hybrid? So you'll be able to get one then. Before everything goes electric.

For me at least, i always kick myself in the ass whenever i see an M5 on the road. It has such great road presence and that V8 is just glorious. If the next gen is rumored to have 700hp, it's going to be an absolute missile. You're going to miss out lol.

Any rumors on the G90 price though?
      01-22-2023, 05:46 PM   #12
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Idk man, i think you should stick with the M5, only because it's going to be a hybrid. I think after that, there's no more.

With the M3, BMW even said next gen it'll still have the 6cyl + hybrid? So you'll be able to get one then. Before everything goes electric.

For me at least, i always kick myself in the ass whenever i see an M5 on the road. It has such great road presence and that V8 is just glorious. If the next gen is rumored to have 700hp, it's going to be an absolute missile. You're going to miss out lol.

Any rumors on the G90 price though?
Trust me... This is has become nerve racking for a number of subjective reasons, and I feel either way I go will be a catch 22.

I have other cars that satisfy my car needs, but this is my most practical and most used vehicle so it's important I plan accordingly. I had a 2018 M5, and now a 21. It's time to move on from that chassis...and the G90 will be off over a year away from when my car goes back. So yes, I can buy it out...but I do want a new toy to play with until the G90 comes. It's highly likely I will fall into that when it becomes available.

So, it's G80, M8GC...which IMO seems to be very expensive, not too roomy and I don't love the interior that much.

I haven't seen pricing, although I am not sure if you are aware of that new XM. The powerplant in that truck will be what's in the G90 to my knowledge, and the price on that truck is starting at $159...so I'm not sure what BMW has up it's sleeve. I think it would be foolish to take the M5 platform that currently starts at $109 and bump it up 50%
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 08:01 PM   #13
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Trust me... This is has become nerve racking for a number of subjective reasons, and I feel either way I go will be a catch 22.

I have other cars that satisfy my car needs, but this is my most practical and most used vehicle so it's important I plan accordingly. I had a 2018 M5, and now a 21. It's time to move on from that chassis...and the G90 will be off over a year away from when my car goes back. So yes, I can buy it out...but I do want a new toy to play with until the G90 comes. It's highly likely I will fall into that when it becomes available.

So, it's G80, M8GC...which IMO seems to be very expensive, not too roomy and I don't love the interior that much.

I haven't seen pricing, although I am not sure if you are aware of that new XM. The powerplant in that truck will be what's in the G90 to my knowledge, and the price on that truck is starting at $159...so I'm not sure what BMW has up it's sleeve. I think it would be foolish to take the M5 platform that currently starts at $109 and bump it up 50%

We're similar in our thought process. I, too, have other cars for different needs.

I originally got this G80 so it can be a daily, or part time daily to my tesla but the car gets too much negative attention. If it was waves, and thumbs up that's cool. No, it's people trying to follow me home, dickheads trying to race or showing off their burble tune etc. I don't wanna deal with that anymore. The G80 is a kids toy IMHO. Whereas the F90 is more grown up and mature.

Idk if you look at the M5C and the X5M which uses the same engine? And they're priced similarly.

I hope the G90 comp doesn't start at 150k. I don't mind getting it if it's the same price as an F90 comp now though.

Or perhaps i can get a really good deal on the last MY of the F90 once i give this lease back. I wouldn't mind that either.
      01-22-2023, 08:14 PM   #14
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
We're similar in our thought process. I, too, have other cars for different needs.

I originally got this G80 so it can be a daily, or part time daily to my tesla but the car gets too much negative attention. If it was waves, and thumbs up that's cool. No, it's people trying to follow me home, dickheads trying to race or showing off their burble tune etc. I don't wanna deal with that anymore. The G80 is a kids toy IMHO. Whereas the F90 is more grown up and mature.

Idk if you look at the M5C and the X5M which uses the same engine? And they're priced similarly.

I hope the G90 comp doesn't start at 150k. I don't mind getting it if it's the same price as an F90 comp now though.

Or perhaps i can get a really good deal on the last MY of the F90 once i give this lease back. I wouldn't mind that either.
I definitely don't want that. I'm from NY and I know how it is in the tristate area, but now I moved to the north of ATL area...I assume it's the same BS, but I'm 42, been in the car scene for a long time and do not want that type of attention. The M5 I have usually get worthy praise and very rarely people trying to race or whatever. Maybe I should consider a M8GC

My wife has a X5M, so that fulfilled.
Attached Images

E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 10:15 AM   #15
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp/24 X3 M40

Quote:
I definitely don't want that. I'm from NY and I know how it is in the tristate area, but now I moved to the north of ATL area...I assume it's the same BS, but I'm 42, been in the car scene for a long time and do not want that type of attention. The M5 I have usually get worthy praise and very rarely people trying to race or whatever. Maybe I should consider a M8GC

Since you have an X5M, you will probably agree with what I am about to say. I had an F86 (X6M) prior to my G82 and both have their pros and cons. Like you mentioned with the F90, the F86 flew under the radar. Few people noticed it and it’s a more mature car. The G82 brings out all of the racers and lookers and I get way too much attention with it. FWIW, the G82 is much more fun to drive and engaging. I’m glad I got it because I was bored after 3 years with the F86. I tend to go back and forth between the 3/5 and X5, X6. If I had to have one car, I would probably opt for a X5M or X6M because the M5 doesn’t offer much more usable space over the M3, but the driving experience is quite different and I’m the guy who prefers the driving experience of the smaller car. I just ignore the racers and attention that the smaller car gets.
Appreciate 1
Pazzo0091113.00
      01-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #16
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

Welcome to the ATL! From what I've seen and experienced, you'll get more positive attention than negative down here. I've never had to experience concerning behavior from other drivers besides the Dodge Ram and Nissan Altima owners. But let's be honest, they're insane regardless of what we drive. I don't know how far north you are, but most of North Georgia is great for backroading and enjoying your car. I'm actually considering pushing up to an M8 just for the v8 and keeping the two doors.

Since you're waiting to see the G90, I think you should give the G80 a good swing while you wait. The only negatives for me is really just the sound that comes out the back coupled with ASD. The recent update made it feel even more like a video game... The driving dynamics is of course great, and it's now sized up enough to be accommodating for 4. Hopefully you can get a test in one to help with the decision making.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 07:10 PM   #17
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
Welcome to the ATL! From what I've seen and experienced, you'll get more positive attention than negative down here. I've never had to experience concerning behavior from other drivers besides the Dodge Ram and Nissan Altima owners. But let's be honest, they're insane regardless of what we drive. I don't know how far north you are, but most of North Georgia is great for backroading and enjoying your car. I'm actually considering pushing up to an M8 just for the v8 and keeping the two doors.

Since you're waiting to see the G90, I think you should give the G80 a good swing while you wait. The only negatives for me is really just the sound that comes out the back coupled with ASD. The recent update made it feel even more like a video game... The driving dynamics is of course great, and it's now sized up enough to be accommodating for 4. Hopefully you can get a test in one to help with the decision making.
Hey what's up, and thank you. I am in Milton/Alpharetta...

The feedback from this post has been helpful. I am still torn though between G80 and M8GC....It may come down to numbers because there is roughly a $50k difference....and quite frankly, I don't see the value in the M8. It's cool looking, but I think it's overpriced.
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 08:00 PM   #18
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:

That has to be based on location...owned my car for a year and although my car gets a lot of attention, it's good. Only had one person really try me and it was in good fun and not putting others in danger. I don't feel as if it's a immature car to own and no more attention than you get with your other nice cars you own. I follow you on Instagram and I'm sure the Ferrari gets enough of it. The G80 will suffice until the G90 becomes available. Just load it up to 95k or higher and enjoy for a couple of years.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
Pazzo0091113.00
      01-24-2023, 01:06 PM   #19
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey what's up, and thank you. I am in Milton/Alpharetta...

The feedback from this post has been helpful. I am still torn though between G80 and M8GC....It may come down to numbers because there is roughly a $50k difference....and quite frankly, I don't see the value in the M8. It's cool looking, but I think it's overpriced.
Haven't been to Milton in a while, but Alpharetta is very tame. Haven't seen anyone being a hooligan. You'll occasionally have guys in super cars (mainly R8's honestly) swing around and give you a thumbs up, some give a nice little rev from the v10. I prefer the two door M8 as I feel the M5 does a better job of being the family car than the M8GC. Unless it's for looks, I can't see what the M8GC offers that the M5 doesn't excel at.

I'd say, unless you're itching for a V8, you would probably enjoy the G80. It's a decent size for a family car, it's fun to drive, and it does everything competently. I can't speak for road noise as I hate when a car is too quiet, spikes my anxiety for some reason. My wife is big on comfort and noise, and the only time she has ever complained about any noise in the car is at WOT. The G80 isn't as supple as the F90, but the feedback isn't harsh... it's quite nice actually. I think having a run in the G80 will help you set an expectation for the G90. If you want to hear what is sounds like out back, just shoot me a pm, I'm in the Duluth area. Btw, the 812 looks PHENOMENAL. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 03:32 PM   #20
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

F90 felt more luxurious. Less road noise and interior felt a bit more special. I do miss the alcantara headliner. I’m a big guy and fit in both the F90 and G80 well. F90 would do a much better job fitting passengers behind me though. For a family car, or as a grand tourer for road trips the F90 would do a better job. The massive low end tourque of v8 was also pretty seeet. The G80 feels nearly as fast but have to get higher in the rev range to feel it pull hard. No regrets with the G80 though, it does feel more nimble and is a hoot to drive on the back roads. The sacrifice in comfort with just a solo driver is pretty minimal. Both fantastic cars.
Appreciate 1
Pazzo0091113.00
      01-24-2023, 07:47 PM   #21
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I went from a F90 to a G80 and was very happy with the swap. G80 is definitely more of a drivers car even though the F90 is ridiculously quick on a backroad. Interior finishes are slightly lower spec on the G80, but I got over it quickly. My feedback would be F90 as a commuter with a quick onramp corner some days. G80 if you get out and drive some backroads on a semi regular basis.

I also ended up with an 850i as a loaner side by side with my G80 (wife's X7 was in the shop). No way I would own any 8 series. Very quick in a straight line, but interior space was horrendous and it felt like a german Camaro.
Appreciate 2
Pazzo0091113.00
nickohlie115.50
      01-25-2023, 06:31 PM   #22
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
However i do NOT like the sound of the engine. Nor all the negative attention the car gets, kids trying to race, other M owners driving like total dickheads to prove their BMW is better or your G80 sucks because of the grill etc. I wanted something more mature and higher end. And i think an M5 would give that. Plus the V8, there's nothing like a V8. That's the main reason why i wanna switch, the V8.
I thought I was the only one. Especially e9x owners - terrible behavior. My approach is to drive like the old man that I am or just avoid these guys.

I’ve had the same thought to switch but think I’d regret it. The G80 is more raw and sharp … and V8’s are depreciating faster, at least that appears to be the case. Seems like there is a lot more demand for the x5 m50 than an m550i. The m5 will probably hold its value better, but hard for me to justify the additional 40k.
Appreciate 0