BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Thoughts on NBT_evo / istep upgrades

07-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Thoughts on NBT_evo / istep upgrades

It's iDrive 6 - not the latest hotness of iDrive 7's uneven terrain representation on the HUD or other coolness, I know, I know, but...

Just got updated to version X from V at the dealer.
(they may have updated other modules, Idk as I don't have bimmercode etc)

But I figured I'd share because whatever black magic they did seems to have made a clearly discernable difference in handling and responsiveness of the car and iDrive overall.

Thoughts so far:

- faster engine / transmission response in comfort/sport/sport+ modes
- iDrive unit responds faster to gesture controls (it's not like using a troublesome automatic faucet)
- some increased 'full screen' behaviour (this was a surprise - still need to mess with this to see what all has changed)
- updated minor versions of the telephone/media components (007.030.001 from 007.020.010)
- iDrive jumping to CarPlay by itself seems to be fixed
- seems auto-login is working again for connected drive

As ever, vehicle tracking and auto time correction get turned off, and presets go away too.
(Some sort of full/partial reset performed? Again, no idea...)

But yeah, overall positive experience - which I wasn't expecting at all.

Side note: the amount of computer control is both amazing and disturbing at the same time...
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 12:44 AM   #2
magggan
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 520d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
It's iDrive 6 - not the latest hotness of iDrive 7's uneven terrain representation on the HUD or other coolness, I know, I know, but...

Just got updated to version X from V at the dealer.
(they may have updated other modules, Idk as I don't have bimmercode etc)

But I figured I'd share because whatever black magic they did seems to have made a clearly discernable difference in handling and responsiveness of the car and iDrive overall.

Thoughts so far:

- faster engine / transmission response in comfort/sport/sport+ modes
- iDrive unit responds faster to gesture controls (it's not like using a troublesome automatic faucet)
- some increased 'full screen' behaviour (this was a surprise - still need to mess with this to see what all has changed)
- updated minor versions of the telephone/media components (007.030.001 from 007.020.010)
- iDrive jumping to CarPlay by itself seems to be fixed
- seems auto-login is working again for connected drive

As ever, vehicle tracking and auto time correction get turned off, and presets go away too.
(Some sort of full/partial reset performed? Again, no idea...)

But yeah, overall positive experience - which I wasn't expecting at all.

Side note: the amount of computer control is both amazing and disturbing at the same time...
Exciting updates! What is the latest software from the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

What year is your car?
Presumably to address an issue, wonder what it was? Did they say?

They don't do it just for fun as it takes a couple of hours or so to do depending the options fitted to the car
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #4
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magggan View Post
Exciting updates! What is the latest software from the dealership?
this was NBT_evo version "X" for iDrive 6
(I don't know if there's a newer one)

Last edited by paquet; 07-26-2021 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
What year is your car?
Presumably to address an issue, wonder what it was? Did they say?

They don't do it just for fun as it takes a couple of hours or so to do depending the options fitted to the car
2019 model.
And yes, I agree - I've even been told by service advisors that they don't update just for the sake of updating as they're concerned about breaking something ('if it aint broke, don't fix it' - however, that's a testament to the state of software design overall)

I took it in for a headlight replacement. I would imagine that it would just be some wrenching - unplug old, plug in new.
They did not mention any update to be done - and I don't see it on the service order either.

However, I do vaguely recall reading somewhere on this forum that when a car goes into the dealership and they plug it in for diagnostics etc, it will check the software versions of various modules and update automatically / offer to update.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Ah ok. Yeh may be an advisory update in that case.
When I had mine updated a couple of years back I had a chat to the technician whilst it was being updated to find out about the update process. The notes he had on istep updated were pretty vague and didn't list anything of any interest. I guess that is all retained by bmw technical.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

OP, if your car had NBTevo_V then I believe your car has more recently been in for service and iStep upgraded. Correct?

It is entirely normal for the dealer to push latest iStep when they're replacing certain electronic parts / modules.

Is your car a M550i or 540i xdrive? I ask b/c it's widely known bmw uncovered a performance issue in these cars (at least the 2021 models) due to a bug in one or more modules. I didn't think it affected the 2019s but maybe some changes helped older cars?
      07-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #8
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
OP, if your car had NBTevo_V then I believe your car has more recently been in for service and iStep upgraded. Correct?

It is entirely normal for the dealer to push latest iStep when they're replacing certain electronic parts / modules.

Is your car a M550i or 540i xdrive? I ask b/c it's widely known bmw uncovered a performance issue in these cars (at least the 2021 models) due to a bug in one or more modules. I didn't think it affected the 2019s but maybe some changes helped older cars?
Thank you.
Lets see, last update (to V) was almost a year ago.

I didn't know that about their pushing out updates at time of parts replacement.
It's a 540i RWD - I recall reading that thread too (with the reduced 0-60 sprint numbers) - I guess maybe it did some software/firmware magic somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:44 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Quote:

Thank you.
Lets see, last update (to V) was almost a year ago.

I didn't know that about their pushing out updates at time of parts replacement.
It's a 540i RWD - I recall reading that thread too (with the reduced 0-60 sprint numbers) - I guess maybe it did some software/firmware magic somewhere?
Either that or it's the same placebo effect where your car feels faster after washing it. Lol
      07-27-2021, 06:44 AM   #10
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Either that or it's the same placebo effect where your car feels faster after washing it. Lol
that was one thought that went through my head too!
i was also thinking that maybe it's the difference from the loaner vehicle

ps: i had remarked earlier that the new 2021 330i seemed underpowered / slow to respond. no such thing. so either some 'magic' done across the fleet, or i've been dropping my foot far more heavily now
Appreciate 0