F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Those who have VLD coded in for US cars- twitchy movement of lights/inconsistent?
proTUNING Freaks

05-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #1
BurtMacklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Xdrive

Post Those who have VLD coded in for US cars- twitchy movement of lights/inconsistent?

I have adaptive LED with HBA and was able to use bimmercode to enable VLD, but I have some issues that I wonder if are normal or can be fixed:

D side high beam didn't want to activate for most of a 30+ mile drive and P side would twitch constantly (often rapidly) from center of road to right side with NO cars on road aside from me.

Not recognizing oncoming cars or tail lights and dimming/moving beam pattern

really twitchy/stuttering l/r movement at lower speeds on low beam

These happen in various conditions, and I've been flashed a few times while waiting for the beams to shift (I end up turning it off/on a lot to not blind people). So I guess I'm wondering if this is normal or if there are settings I can mess with to address it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtMacklin View Post
I have adaptive LED with HBA and was able to use bimmercode to enable VLD, but I have some issues that I wonder if are normal or can be fixed:

D side high beam didn't want to activate for most of a 30+ mile drive and P side would twitch constantly (often rapidly) from center of road to right side with NO cars on road aside from me.

Not recognizing oncoming cars or tail lights and dimming/moving beam pattern

really twitchy/stuttering l/r movement at lower speeds on low beam

These happen in various conditions, and I've been flashed a few times while waiting for the beams to shift (I end up turning it off/on a lot to not blind people). So I guess I'm wondering if this is normal or if there are settings I can mess with to address it.
VLD is variable light distribution- where the low beam pattern adjusts as speeds change.

Some VLD actions I see on my car-
Additional side lights under 15mph (different from cornering lights)
doesn't activate longer throw portion of drivers side until above ~40mph

NGHB (no glare high beam) I think is what you are asking about-And I don't have any of the issues you are talking about- although I don't think you can code in NGHB with bimmercode so maybe you aren't correctly coding it in.

Some NGHB Actions-
Right and left side high beam activate independently, and move left to right for traffic, only works above 30-35mph.
      05-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
I have pretty much the same car as you and I've coded VLD and enabled NGHB and there is nothing twitchy about the movement of the lights at all, whenever they need to move either due to VLD behavior or the adaptive NGHB behavior the movements are smooth and honestly I wish it was a little faster.

That being said, it's possible that you have not done the NGHB coding correctly. The first step is removing the 5AP and 8S4 codes from your VO but in order to fully code for NGHB there are several other modules which need a significant amount of coding parameter changes. Luckily this is incredibly easy to code using e-sys and the built-in cheat sheet but if you do not do these extra steps then you will most definitely be blinding oncoming cars and flashing cars that you are following.

When I first got my car (same as yours) I only did the steps removing 5AP and 8S4 and it was obvious they were not working right, it only took a few times getting flashed before I realized something was wrong. Since then I did the correct steps and now I pretty much enable NGHB every time I drive at night, there's no downside and all upside and it works great.

The NGHBs function based on what they are seeing in the KAFAS camera behind your rearview mirror so it's possible that you have something obstructing this, or some defect in your windshield may be distorting the light coming in.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #4
BurtMacklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Xdrive

Quote:
The first step is removing the 5AP and 8S4 codes from your VO but in order to fully code for NGHB there are several other modules which need a significant amount of coding parameter changes.
I didn't use Esys, just bimmercode. I think this might be my next step. When everything works properly it's pretty nice, just want to make sure I'm not blinding folk that approach.

smrtypants44- I do have gfhb and vld coded, but it would seem as though I've missed some steps through and will revisit settings since I don't think I can do vo changes through the app.

thanks for the tips, I'll see how things go!
Appreciate 0