F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Safely pushing my car?
ARMA SPEED

05-19-2020, 11:24 PM   #1
Tylachniet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Safely pushing my car?

How much power and boost can an N55 (2013 335 pwg) make without risking issues with stock turbos, fuel pumps, internals, etc? Assuming DP, CP, IC, Intake? I'm trying to decide which tune to get... please let me know what y'all think is realistic!
      05-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

The answer to your question is irrelevant to choosing a tune because both of them (MHD and BM3) are designed to operate within the bounds of what the car can handle with stock turbo, fuel pump, and internals. As long as you have the mods they list as "required" for a given stage (e.g., IC, CP, and/or DP), the tune is designed to work without modifications to any other hardware... None of the OTS tunes require upgraded HPFP or internals, and only the upraded turbo tunes require that.

Note, there's always a risk associated with modifying the hardware and/or software on your car, but MHD and BM3 are both regarded as safe when used properly. Just pick one based on your preferred platform, ease of use, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
Tylachniet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The answer to your question is irrelevant to choosing a tune because both of them (MHD and BM3) are designed to operate within the bounds of what the car can handle with stock turbo, fuel pump, and internals. As long as you have the mods they list as "required" for a given stage (e.g., IC, CP, and/or DP), the tune is designed to work without modifications to any other hardware... None of the OTS tunes require upgraded HPFP or internals, and only the upraded turbo tunes require that.

Note, there's always a risk associated with modifying the hardware and/or software on your car, but MHD and BM3 are both regarded as safe when used properly. Just pick one based on your preferred platform, ease of use, etc.
That definitely makes me feel better. I guess my big thing is obviously it's a risk when you make any changes but how serious is it with say FBO and a stage 2 tune?
      05-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylachniet View Post
That definitely makes me feel better. I guess my big thing is obviously it's a risk when you make any changes but how serious is it with say FBO and a stage 2 tune?
People run stage 2 FBO for tens of thousands of miles. Just read some of the high mileage threads, i think one was bumped recently.

As long as you maintain proper maintenance (shortening intervals a bit for things like oil change and spark plugs for example) and make sure you car is running correctly (datalog) you should be fine. And of course start with a mechanically sound car to begin with. Your driving habits are likely the wildcard in terms of how long your car lasts.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #5
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Heh. I run a cheapie DinanTronics Sport dongle that plugs in between the charge pipe pressure sensor and the harness. Been running it in "race" mode which suggests 93 octane fuel which I always run (it's everywhere in the south) for over two years and today screaming up a nice hill curve the OE charge pipe blew up, so it was Grandpa mode on the way home. Fortunately 1) I have an extended warranty and 2) the Dinan thing is very easily removed. Taking it in when the shop reopens on Tuesday and replacing that junk OE charge pipe with a metal one when the extension expires next May along with some other upgrades.

So you probably want to replace the stock charge pipe with a metal one if you're doing any kind of boost mod. There's like 20 different vendors of charge pipes and I can't imagine they're all that different from each other so pick one.
      05-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
Heh. I run a cheapie DinanTronics Sport dongle that plugs in between the charge pipe pressure sensor and the harness. Been running it in "race" mode which suggests 93 octane fuel which I always run (it's everywhere in the south) for over two years and today screaming up a nice hill curve the OE charge pipe blew up, so it was Grandpa mode on the way home. Fortunately 1) I have an extended warranty and 2) the Dinan thing is very easily removed. Taking it in when the shop reopens on Tuesday and replacing that junk OE charge pipe with a metal one when the extension expires next May along with some other upgrades.

So you probably want to replace the stock charge pipe with a metal one if you're doing any kind of boost mod. There's like 20 different vendors of charge pipes and I can't imagine they're all that different from each other so pick one.
It looks like OP is FBO (which includes CP). Stock CP is known to blow even in some stock setups, from what I've heard. My question is why wait til your extended warranty is up to upgrade your CP knowing it's a weak point? Idk how common it is for a blown CP to cause serious engine damage, but I figure it's in the realm of possibility. I'd recommend going straight for an aftermarket upgrade rather than rolling the dice on another OEM replacement.