E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > tyre pressure warning(red horseshoe and exclamation mark)

01-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

tyre pressure warning(red horseshoe and exclamation mark)

as title..ive just had it go on,so i drove the 1 mile home as the tyres felt fine,,got home and tested with pressure guage...all are fine. but the rear nearide is 33 psi,,i blew all my tyres up yesterday but released a bit too much out of the rear, as id put to much in...surely 33 psi wouldnt trigger the red warning as its only 5 psi off what it should be,,maybe an amber or whatever..anyway the psi ? aint changed from yesterday..anyone any thoughts
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
as title..ive just had it go on,so i drove the 1 mile home as the tyres felt fine,,got home and tested with pressure guage...all are fine. but the rear nearide is 33 psi,,i blew all my tyres up yesterday but released a bit too much out of the rear, as id put to much in...surely 33 psi wouldnt trigger the red warning as its only 5 psi off what it should be,,maybe an amber or whatever..anyway the psi ? aint changed from yesterday..anyone any thoughts
You might just need to reset your TPMS, set your tires at the correct levels and use the method below to reset and save the current pressures:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...Monitoring.htm

My brother had this recently with his 1 series after sorting his pressures out, this sorted it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
You might just need to reset your TPMS, set your tires at the correct levels and use the method below to reset and save the current pressures:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...Monitoring.htm

My brother had this recently with his 1 series after sorting his pressures out, this sorted it.
yeh..ive been looking into it,and posted on another bmw forum(bimmerforum) worst case scenario is reluctor rings,,which by coincidence or not..i think are scorroded as i get a intermttent dtc issue,only rarely when going round tight right hand bends like a small roundabout
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Wouldn't think it's as complicated as reluctor rings otherwise you'd be getting traction and ABS warnings all the time.

Sounds to me like you have pumped up your tyres and have not reset the TPMS. Simple thing to from the dashboard with or without iDrive.

5psi is more than enough for the system to think you have a leak and will show red. Think of it as a percentage. 5psi is 13% of 38psi and you wouldn't want to drive the car with one tyre 13% flat, would you?

If it comes up yellow then you do have a problem because that is telling you there is a fault with the system.

You have to reset the TPMS each time you adjust any tyre pressure up or down especially if it is only one wheel otherwise you will get the warning that you see now.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Wouldn't think it's as complicated as reluctor rings otherwise you'd be getting traction and ABS warnings all the time.

Sounds to me like you have pumped up your tyres and have not reset the TPMS. Simple thing to from the dashboard with or without iDrive.

5psi is more than enough for the system to think you have a leak and will show red. Think of it as a percentage. 5psi is 13% of 38psi and you wouldn't want to drive the car with one tyre 13% flat, would you?

If it comes up yellow then you do have a problem because that is telling you there is a fault with the system.

You have to reset the TPMS each time you adjust any tyre pressure up or down especially if it is only one wheel otherwise you will get the warning that you see now.
yeh,,thtas where its tricked me,,ive never reset the tpms after a tyre inflate..although the inflates have only been slight..sometimes i will put to much ait in then deflate a little,,its easier that way than sticking the compresser hose back on..my compressor hose has a dodgy dial so i use a tyre pressure guage to take measurements,,i will get my good old foot pump out today or even my portable cig lighter socket pump today,,otherwise i have to open shed then an extension then wheel the compresseor out..cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

re inflated tyres/rest tpms..all fine upto now after a 5 mile round trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
re inflated tyres/rest tpms..all fine upto now after a 5 mile round trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Excellent! Nice simple fix then.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 01:39 AM   #9
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Excellent! Nice simple fix then.
yeh,,most of the time these cars are simple fixes,,it just getting to the bottom of it..
Appreciate 0