E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 335D Black smoke has officially stopped! :)

03-11-2016, 06:20 AM   #1
mistikempire
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 335d

E92 335D Black smoke has officially stopped! :)

Just thought id post this, to help anyone who has had similar problems on their 335d.

Now, i know black smoke is a common problem for 335d owners, who like me, have had their car mapped, along with DPF delete.

Iv changed oils, parts, etc an nothing seemed to make the black smoke go away, some people said, your stuck with it, until i thought, im going to start changing parts which are due to be changed anyway.....such as the breather valve, which i know should be changed after a certain period of time.

The mileage on my car is still relatively low, however, i like looking after my car, parts, engine etc.

So i changed the breather valve, an have been driving the car ever since, an NO BLACK SMOKE! I am so happy that i can wash my car, an the rear bumper stays clean for longer then a 5 minutes!

So it done the trick.
      03-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Nice one. It's definitely a service item every other oil CBS oil change.

And yet there are still people ( despite old grey steve posts) who think it does nothing.

For 40 odd quid that's a result!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
BirdsEye
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Exact same here. Always a puff of smoke and I am standard too. Got it changed and it's way better now.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
elbutio
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F31 & 330d E91

What breather valve is this - the vortex one? Didn't think this needed changing? Worth doing on my n57 330d then?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Always worth renewing every 40k miles or so, regardless of what BMW says.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

How about a part number please? I can check to see if we have this on our US versions and add this as another maintenance item to change. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hmmmm, i'm on 90k and doubt mine has been changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
elbutio
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F31 & 330d E91

Is this not built into the rocker cover on the lci's?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
mistikempire
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calluhan View Post
Nice one. It's definitely a service item every other oil CBS oil change.

And yet there are still people ( despite old grey steve posts) who think it does nothing.

For 40 odd quid that's a result!

Definetly mate, something so small stops something so annoying! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbutio View Post
What breather valve is this - the vortex one? Didn't think this needed changing? Worth doing on my n57 330d then?
The one i got, was from Bmw, so their own oem product, not sure what the vortex one is mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335D Alpha Pappa View Post
How about a part number please? I can check to see if we have this on our US versions and add this as another maintenance item to change. Thanks.
Havent got the part number to hand mate, but if you type in e92 335d breather on ebay, it comes up with genuine OEM bmw valves, so you can get the part number from them.

My mechanic got mine from bmw, with his discount it came to £48

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbutio View Post
Is this not built into the rocker cover on the lci's?
Mines a Pre Lci, its located underneath the engine cover on mine towards the back
      03-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

While i dont dispute it worked for you, it doesnt really make sense.

Black smoke is excess fuel. ALL diesel engines will produce some black smoke at full power, and mapped ones will produce more. Its a fundamental part of diesel combustion. If theres no smoke, your leaving power on the table. Mapping diesels is so effective because the manufacturers tune the car pretty lean, to minimise this smoke, and running more fuel is where the extra power comes from. Highly tuned dervs will produce thick black plumes of smoke (check out tractor pulling), but its generally infeasible for a road car for obvious reasons.

Most dervs sold in the last 10 years or so have DPF's fitted, which catch the soot, and thus appear much cleaner. The soot is still being produced, its just being caught in the fitler and burned off. If you delete the filter, then ofcourse the cars going to emit that soot as black smoke instead.

The breather, if faulty, might allow some excess oil to get places it shouldnt, but oil doesnt produce black smoke, it usually burns white or blue depending on quantities and where its getting in. Thus changing the breather is thus unlikely to have an effect on excess fuel...

Its perhaps more likely that dismantling and reassembling everything when doing the breather has fixed a boost leak or something that was previously not quite right.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
mistikempire
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
While i dont dispute it worked for you, it doesnt really make sense.

Black smoke is excess fuel. ALL diesel engines will produce some black smoke at full power, and mapped ones will produce more. Its a fundamental part of diesel combustion. If theres no smoke, your leaving power on the table. Mapping diesels is so effective because the manufacturers tune the car pretty lean, to minimise this smoke, and running more fuel is where the extra power comes from. Highly tuned dervs will produce thick black plumes of smoke (check out tractor pulling), but its generally infeasible for a road car for obvious reasons.

Most dervs sold in the last 10 years or so have DPF's fitted, which catch the soot, and thus appear much cleaner. The soot is still being produced, its just being caught in the fitler and burned off. If you delete the filter, then ofcourse the cars going to emit that soot as black smoke instead.

The breather, if faulty, might allow some excess oil to get places it shouldnt, but oil doesnt produce black smoke, it usually burns white or blue depending on quantities and where its getting in. Thus changing the breather is thus unlikely to have an effect on excess fuel...

Its perhaps more likely that dismantling and reassembling everything when doing the breather has fixed a boost leak or something that was previously not quite right.
Very intresting post, I actually enjoyed reading what you wrote, very informative.
As to the breather, im not sure what its done, but its been coming upto the 2nd week now and my exhaust tips, bumper are spotless.

However, in regards to your post, it does seem like i am starting to see more white smoke?
      03-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Take the lid off your old one and tell me how it works please
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

I would be happy to hear any theories on how that diaphragm is operated by the vac nipple that has nothing connected. Have a look in there and let us know.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #14
mistikempire
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

ade146
Hi mate, sorry iv read this post abit too late, as i have already thrown out the old.