F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CAI???
GetBMWParts

01-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

CAI???

Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

I heard that the Dinan should be coming out soon? Anyone
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Burger or aFe. Dinan is going to be overpriced like always, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

I think he means a true cold air intake system, of which I don't think any exist for the 3/4. As long as the filter is in the engine bay its not a real CAI. Box or not.

Also most people will claim that it's pointless on a boosted car, yet some have claimed to see/feel a difference. But I suppose companies would not bother with heat shields for short ram intakes if that were 100% true, so maybe there is something to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
I think he means a true cold air intake system, of which I don't think any exist for the 3/4. As long as the filter is in the engine bay its not a real CAI. Box or not.
Actually a well designed intake in the engine bay can take in cool air. I plan on proving that with logs eventually. The way aFes "open" intake is designed, I think if you combine that with their air scoop, the inlet air temps should be pretty close to ambient.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Actually a well designed intake in the engine bay can take in cool air. I plan on proving that with logs eventually. The way aFes "open" intake is designed, I think if you combine that with their air scoop, the inlet air temps should be pretty close to ambient.
It has already been proven that IATs with an open intake are barely above ambient once you're moving, so it's fairly pointless.

Only armchair engineers think heat soak and open intakes are an issue. There is a reason you almost never see a "cold air intake" or similar intake piping on a highly modified car. A filter attached directly to the turbo is usually your most ideal setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Totally understood, but as far as I know this determination was never based on any measurable statistics. Rather the designation "cold air" simply meant that the filter would be placed outside the engine bay so you are not pulling in any engine heat at all. Unless I missed a point in time where this got more technical? That's how it was in the old days. haha
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
It has already been proven that IATs with an open intake are barely above ambient once you're moving, so it's fairly pointless.

Only armchair engineers think heat soak and open intakes are an issue. There is a reason you almost never see a "cold air intake" or similar intake piping on a highly modified car. A filter attached directly to the turbo is usually your most ideal setup.
If we are talking drag racing then low-end power from the dig is important too. Maybe this is a reason open filters tend to have a loss of power down low, and gain hp up high.

As for highly modified cars, I think also part of it is at that point there is just no need for something as low ball as a CAI, when your turbo is sticking out of your freaking hood or jammed in the front bumper.
Appreciate 0