New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92, N55

Going to visit US for the first time

Hey there!

For the first time of my life, I'm going to visit US (New York). I'm really looking forward to this, but I do also have a few questions, so perhaps there are quite a few new yorkers that would like to help me out

First of all, I just checked my Mobile carrier, and it asks almost 10$ for each MB of network data. That's insane. Should I rely on public wifi being available, or are there any better options, like prepaid mobile cards with enough data for a week? I don't need that much, just some to get my NAV working, and that's about it.

Secondly, what are the best ways to travel? I heard there is some sort of public transport cards. Are they worth it?

And finally, I know all the famous places I should visit, but I'm a lover of tasty food. Are there any special places, like nowhere else in the world? I'm not looking into something DEAD expensive, just something worth traveling for the experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

NY’er here. Can’t address the electronic topic as it’s not my thing.
You could take the subway to get around but that’s quite confusing for most. Most New Yorkers are helpful if asked but it’s still overwhelming. I would recommend cabs to travel in manhattan. Yellow cabs are all on the meter and funny business is rare. You’ll get what you pay for. Walking the streets is a great way to get around if the distances aren’t to far. A lot to see while hoofing it. There are Double Decker guided bus tours of manhattan which I hear tourists like. They can be be found at the west side bus terminal right by Times Square.
Ferry’s for the Statue of Liberty, Ellis island down at Battery Park on the Southern tip of the island.

As far as food, NYC has it all, from ‘dirty water dogs’ on the street to the most expensive Michelin rated restaurants around. Just about every imaginable cuisine of the planet is represented. All depends on what you’re looking for on a particular day. A computer search will give you much info on what’s hot and what’s not. Check out Little Italy downtown for Italian, try Lombardi’s for great NY thin crust and fantastic pastas and entrees. Chinatown right next door for Chinese. My favorite steakhouse in the city is The Old Homestead on the west side in the meat packing district. Smith and Wollensky is another great steakhouse. Check out our museums, The Met for opera, ballet, Broadway shows galore, Freedom Tower, Empire State, Central Park, MSG, St Patrick’s and so much more to do.
Have a great time in the Big Apple!
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Many countries offer Mifi (mobile WiFi) for tourists going abroad. You rent a Mifi device at your home country, bring it on your travels, then return it when you get home. Much much cheaper than data roaming or even getting a local SIM, and you can share the Mifi with your travel group.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
You can expect most places to have free wifi for customers. As long as you can get from the airport to where you are staying you should be good to go without a data plan.

edit: There are applications you can download before you get to NY that can help as well. I like the CityMapper and CityMaps2Go applications (iPhone). The CityMapper needs data I believe but is great for public transport in major cities around the world. The CityMaps2Go is a global map and entertainment guide. Download your preferred city at home and then you have a map data free when you are there with all of the restaurants and reviews and whatnot. GPS works without data so it will be just like any other maps app.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Load up on dollar bills, you will need like 300 of them on you at all times to cover tipping.

If someone so much as breathes near you, you likely owe them a tip and if you don't have the 1's ready at hand it gets real expensive, real fast to keep doling out 5's or 10's.

You now owe me a tip for this advice. Oh, only have a 10er ... nooo worries i can take that.
Appreciate 5
upstatedoc7555.50
bimmette6452.50
      05-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I visited from Cali a few years ago. The 2 best things I had to eat were street dogs, and Lombardi's pizza. The wait for Lombardi's was quite a bit longer, and not necessarily any better
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Definitely plan on real NY pizza. They're not expensive and unique to NYC.
      05-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Load up on dollar bills, you will need like 300 of them on you at all times to cover tipping.

If someone so much as breathes near you, you likely owe them a tip and if you don't have the 1's ready at hand it gets real expensive, real fast to keep doling out 5's or 10's.

You now owe me a tip for this advice. Oh, only have a 10er ... nooo worries i can take that.
New York certainly isn’t one of our “Free states” of the Union but one is still free not to tip and you owe nobody a tip. Canuks are very comfortable not tipping.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

When will you be going to NYC? Soon?

I would suggest to check out Central Park and rent a row boat for an hour. Go to a burger joint, a few that come to mind are J.G. Melon, Jackson Hole, and Minetta Tavern. Also Shake Shake is a good one for the "American" fast food experience if you have never had that burger before.
I would also suggest taking a boat ride around Manhattan. There are many different places (west side, east side of the island) to get on tour boats. They give you great views of the city.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92, N55

I am going to be there from June 25th. Should we really worry about having clothes for all kind of possible weather, or there isn't antyhing else but sun during mid summer?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I live in NJ and work in NYC, so I'm in and out everyday.

Whenever I bring friends and family in for day or weekend trips I've found that those "hop on hop off" buses are a GREAT way to get around to different parts of the city while also seeing sights.
      05-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #12
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsaiden View Post
I am going to be there from June 25th. Should we really worry about having clothes for all kind of possible weather, or there isn't antyhing else but sun during mid summer?
Just a light jacket will be fine. Its warm here and avg rainfall is 4.4inches (112mm) for the month.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
It's not going to be very cool in late June, but be aware that NYC (at least Manhattan) is a "walking city" where you'll be outside a lot. Bring a compact umbrella in case it rains.

Tip: it can be difficult to find a rest room... unless you use a Starbucks. They changed their policy and will no longer resist a non-customer from using their rest room.
      05-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
New York certainly isn’t one of our “Free states” of the Union but one is still free not to tip and you owe nobody a tip. Canuks are very comfortable not tipping.
I'm an aussie that lives in Toronto.

IMHO the list of despised people in the USA goes liek this;

- Pedophiles
- Non-tippers
- Low tippers
- Mass murderers

You get the drift.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
      05-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
First of all, I just checked my Mobile carrier, and it asks almost 10$ for each MB of network data. That's insane. Should I rely on public wifi being available, or are there any better options, like prepaid mobile cards with enough data for a week? I don't need that much, just some to get my NAV working, and that's about it.

Secondly, what are the best ways to travel? I heard there is some sort of public transport cards. Are they worth it?

1) If you will be using data mostly for navigation, then google maps is your answer. They now have a downloadable option. You can select a region, then download the maps at home before you leave. GPS doesn't use data, so you can run the google maps navigation in airplane mode and have no hits to your data plan. It is nothing short of amazing.

2) The subway will be the easiest way to transverse the city, but it takes a bit getting used to. You can buy a subway card at most any subway location and add money to it at the machine. If this isn't for you, then use Uber. Avoid the taxi's, they are a total ripoff.

3) One of my favorite places in NYC is Bryant Park. It is adjacent to the New York Public Library (the same one in the intro scene of Ghostbusters). Tour the library, it is fantastic. When done, grab a small snack and some good coffee or wine in the park and people watch. Great place. Somewhat inexpensive as well.

4) Skip the Empire State Building. Go to the 'Top of the Rock' instead at Rockefeller Center. Better views, less crowds, just an all around better experience.

5) Be sure to check out Times Square. It's cheesy, but a must for a first timer to NYC.

6) For the best steak of your life, go to Peter Luger's. For some other awesome food, check out the Village. Fun to walk around there as well.
      05-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #16
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

There’s not much of a difference cost wise between Uber and Cabs in Manhattan.
The big plus is you can walk out to the curb and Damn near every third car is a yellow cab( over 10,000 rolling the streets) stick up a hand and in most cases they’re scrambling with each other to get to you first. No calls, no computer to type in and no waiting for some car with who knows who driving it and what it’s driving in and who knows when it’ll get there. Cabs take cash or CC, they’re all licensed and mostly professional. And no, Im not in the taxi commission just an average NY’er.
https://www.investopedia.com/article...-york-city.asp
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #17
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Not sure if it’s been covered, but use Google Maps to download the city before you go. Bam, instant navigation without data. I did it last time I was in Italy, France, and Netherlands without any hiccups.

Rely on WiFi for WhatsApp and WiFi calling outside of that and you should be set.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      05-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #18
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I go to nyc monthly for work, use Uber, taxi's are mostly nasty

All I really do is eat when I'm on a nyc trip, Katz deli on E Houston, Mimi's on 2nd Av and la caridad on Brodway

Can't offer any advice on mobile service

Time sq is 99% tourist but you gotta go 1 time in life to see it, @ midnight it looks daytime from all the lights

All places are casual, wear a nice collar shirt with denim and you will blend in, wear a redsox hat to piss off everyone if you dare, I DO
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #19
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Ideas for 3 days...

Uptown Day: Central Park, museums, Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock observatory).

Midtown-NoHo: Times Square, down Broadway to Flatiron Building, head west to High Line.

SoHo, financial district day: SoHo shopping and cute cafes/restaurants. Great vibe, especially on a nice evening. Also Financial District to check out Ground Zero. Bonus: Maybe walk across Brooklyn Bridge for some of the best pizza in the world at Grimaldi's Pizza and killer views of downtown Manhattan from Brooklyn Bridge Park. Then you can also say you've been to Brooklyn.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria
1 Front St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 858-4300
https://goo.gl/maps/mehv6LQ4kdVVdS1b7

Brooklyn Bridge Park - Pier 1
2 Furman St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
https://goo.gl/maps/EbNLEDFHT3xdBT3XA
      05-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #20
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post

All I really do is eat when I'm on a nyc trip, Katz deli on E Houston, Mimi's on 2nd Av and la caridad on Brodway

Time sq is 99% tourist but you gotta go 1 time in life to see it, @ midnight it looks daytime from all the lights

All places are casual, wear a nice collar shirt with denim and you will blend in, wear a redsox hat to piss off everyone if you dare, I DO
We’ll see you guys in the Bronx tomorrow.
Katz’s, we make a special trips there about twice a year. Tourists go to Carnegie, New Yorkers head down to Katz’s.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #21
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post

We’ll see you guys in the Bronx tomorrow.
Katz’s, we make a special trips there about twice a year. Tourists go to Carnegie, New Yorkers head down to Katz’s.
Uh, Carnegie deli has been closed for almost 2 years! Lol. But yeah, go to Katz and Russ and Daughters next door.

I second using Uber over taxi or subway with exceptions during peak traffic hours or heading to the Bronx from midtown.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #22
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Uh, Carnegie deli has been closed for almost 2 years! Lol. But yeah, go to Katz and Russ and Daughters next door.

I second using Uber over taxi or subway with exceptions during peak traffic hours or heading to the Bronx from midtown.
Forgot they closed it, haven’t been there in about 25 years.
Appreciate 0