New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Amp location + aftermarket options

Just wondering if anyone knows where the amp is located? I'm assuming in the trunk somewhere.

Also, anyone know if there's any aftermarket replacement options?
the local dealer list price for oem is $2k+.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

"IF" your Z has an amp then you'll find it by looking in the trunk, look to the bulkhead. If you have the hatch (or the recess if not) it is behind the bulkhead covering to the right side.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-roa/2bvd9wFK

With your MULF or Combox being on the left side
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-roa/GZLja1dj

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
accts4mjs
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Garage List
I just installed an aftermarket amp, component speakers in the front, and an 8" sub in the trunk. If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them. My wife said I should have posted pics and explanations along the way but I didn't think anyone would need them because I saw so little chatter about audio upgrades. Let me know what I can do to help out. It's a lot of work but it's also about 1000x times better than stock

My setup was the Professional Hi-Fi 16 speaker setup with Amp on the right and the MULF on the left side (in the trunk).
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post
I just installed an aftermarket amp, component speakers in the front, and an 8" sub in the trunk. If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them. My wife said I should have posted pics and explanations along the way but I didn't think anyone would need them because I saw so little chatter about audio upgrades. Let me know what I can do to help out. It's a lot of work but it's also about 1000x times better than stock

My setup was the Professional Hi-Fi 16 speaker setup with Amp on the right and the MULF on the left side (in the trunk).
Did you have to program/code in the amp?
Where did you purchase the amp? Could it be used as a replacement for stock?
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
accts4mjs
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Garage List
I bought it off of Amazon. It's the Rockford Fosgate P300X2 Punch 300 Watt 2-Channel amp. I replaced the tweeter, mid-range, and woofer components in the front door and kickpanel. I disconnected the middle speakers and rear speakers and subs (hah! those barely produce sound). I also installed an 8" enclosed powered RF sub in the trunk.

As far as programming goes, because it's a digital input signal (and I don't know of a way to decode that) I had to use the high level outputs from the amp and connect them to my amp and sub.

I also ran a single powered line to the front of the car (one for L, one for R) that went into crossovers for my speakers that I purchased (Hertz speakers). There is only one output line that goes to the door and I had to repurpose an extra line and run a new pin + line to the harness in the door ($4 from a junkyard gave me plenty of pins and lines to run into the harness, that part was pretty easy once I had a plan).

Does that help? What type of system do you have and what year of car?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6I0RS
Appreciate 0