New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #45
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

yeah and its also $100k and weighs more than the x5. the model 3 and X look just as funky as every other EV.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #46
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Spread your FUD stories somewhere else.

The 3er EV is on it's way and it will have plenty of range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugzZ BunnY View Post
EVs all look funny cause they need to be efficient. the reason you don't see a full electric 3 series is because the range is already bad enough on a very light and VERY aerodynamic vehicle, so the EV 3 series would never sell cause range would be terrible. and lets not act like people would be lining up to buy an EV 3 series when you cant get people to buy the hybrid version and that still has a gas tank for them to feel safe with traveling.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #47
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
another one
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
another one
I agree with most on here, I think the original i concepts and cars were fantastic, they are getting long in the tooth with the design, (I think it's coming up on almost 10 years since they were initially debuted as concepts and the production versions didn't change much). They still look great after all this time and that to me is a testament to how well designed they were/are.
      05-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #48
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Q: Why can't EVs just look like "normal" BMWs?

A: Private sales of EVs simply aren't successful when they aren't immediately recognized as an EV. I believe this is due to the need for EVs to deliver clear "virtue signals" that the owner/driver is environmentally conscious. This messaging is a significant part of the appeal of these vehicles.
      05-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #49
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Yes, now they're using the Kia grill design on the side windows.
EXACTLY what I was thinking... quite ingenious to create a side "grill" identity using a vehicles windows....
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #50
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

Why do all traditional car-markers think that an electric car should ‘look special’ by introducing strange design elements? It’s only a car.

Just look at Tesla: design a beautiful car without trying to differentiate electric cars designs from combustion engine car designs.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #51
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
Why do all traditional car-markers think that an electric car should ‘look special’ by introducing strange design elements? It’s only a car.

Just look at Tesla: design a beautiful car without trying to differentiate electric cars designs from combustion engine car designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Q: Why can't EVs just look like "normal" BMWs?

A: Private sales of EVs simply aren't successful when they aren't immediately recognized as an EV. I believe this is due to the need for EVs to deliver clear "virtue signals" that the owner/driver is environmentally conscious. This messaging is a significant part of the appeal of these vehicles.
      05-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #52
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Its not just you but didnt idrive come few years before iphone and they really were not copying anything?
Good point, and I actually had to look it up. Apple started using the iMac brand in 1998, the BMW iDrive system showed up in 2001 with the E65 7-series.

I learned something today!
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #53
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
and lets not act like people would be lining up to buy an EV 3 series when you cant get people to buy the hybrid version and that still has a gas tank for them to feel safe with traveling.
The consumer demographic for the EV and the Hybrid are related, but they are not the same. A Range Extending 3 series would be very very different from the current 330e hybrid.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #54
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
yeah and its also $100k and weighs more than the x5. the model 3 and X look just as funky as every other EV.
Are you not side stepping the argument? It's entirely possible to have a good looking car with good aerodynamics. Just that all the manufacturers have been buying time until battery technology develops further.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #55
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
lets not act like people would be lining up to buy an EV 3 series when you cant get people to buy the hybrid version and that still has a gas tank for them to feel safe with traveling.
Among the biggest practical advantages of an EV are much lower ownership costs vs. an ICE vehicle. This is not only realized in cheaper day-to-day operating costs, but also with far, far lower maintenance costs coupled with higher reliability. An electric drive system has a tiny fraction of the number of moving parts that an ICE drivetrain does. The difference in complexity between the two isn't just notable, it is outright remarkable.

A hybrid vehicle gives up this advantage, and, in fact, actually makes the situation twofold worse. Not only are you adding another propulsion system to the mix, but the complex integration between the two systems adds significant complexity to the vehicle. Furthermore, the manufacturing costs are compounded.

The hybrid value equation is not there and for any purpose outside of "going green" never will be. And yes, with the state of the art in EV tech today in May 2018, the EV value equation is also not yet there for most. But unlike the hybrid solution, EV's time can and absolutely will come.
Appreciate 2
jmg18493.00
mundo7465.00
      05-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #56
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:

Quote:
Why do all traditional car-markers think that an electric car should 'look special' by introducing strange design elements? It's only a car.

It's only a car? You really have some nerve using that sentence in a BMW forum.

It's only a car, is a Camry. It's only a car, is a Focus.

EVs look different because those who drive them want different.

I like the my car is made of carbon fiber and only MSRP for $55K. I like that it looks like the future, because it is just that. If you're not ready for them, then just say that. Don't have to throw shade because you like beige with 17in wheels.

Same old is just same and old. We're doing something new here for the first time in 90 years. Personally, I'm ready for flying cars, but let's take these baby steps.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #57
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
lets not act like people would be lining up to buy an EV 3 series when you cant get people to buy the hybrid version and that still has a gas tank for them to feel safe with traveling.
Among the biggest practical advantages of an EV are much lower ownership costs vs. an ICE vehicle. This is not only realized in cheaper day-to-day operating costs, but also with far, far lower maintenance costs coupled with higher reliability. An electric drive system has a tiny fraction of the number of moving parts that an ICE drivetrain does. The difference in complexity between the two isn't just notable, it is outright remarkable.

A hybrid vehicle gives up this advantage, and, in fact, actually makes the situation twofold worse. Not only are you adding another propulsion system to the mix, but the complex integration between the two systems adds significant complexity to the vehicle. Furthermore, the manufacturing costs are compounded.

The hybrid value equation is not there and for any purpose outside of "going green" never will be. And yes, with the state of the art in EV tech today in May 2018, the EV value equation is also not yet there for most. But unlike the hybrid solution, EV's time can and absolutely will come.
The lower maintenance costs are a legitimate issue for long-term owners (until the battery need replacing I guess), but really how much is this an issue/advantage to the person whom only plans on using their car for 3 years/30k Miles?
      05-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #58
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The lower maintenance costs are a legitimate issue for long-term owners (until the battery need replacing I guess), but really how much is this an issue/advantage to the person whom only plans on using their car for 3 years/30k Miles?
Even leased ICE vehicles require oil changes whereas an EV does not, so it will still benefit the lessee.

And the manufacturer wins with lower warranty service costs and lower preowned vehicle sales costs. In theory this could be passed to the consumer in the form of lower MSRP, although that isn’t necessarily likely and would be tough to measure in any case. The manufacturer does lose a little in out of warranty parts, but it’s likely to be offset by the others.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #59
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I3 is not ugly. Its not aggressive but its not ugly.

INext looks interesting but hope its not a wagon or suv. In 3 years bmw will find out based on tesla whether there is a market for electric affordable sporty cars (model 3). My guess is that the market is still very limited (despite teslas 500k fully refundable preorders cough), and bmw is thinking that too. This car will be able to fit either a niche mkt or it will be scalable to serious market capture.
In my book the i3 design would MASSIVELY benefit from being quite a lot wider and a tad lower roof line - Would actually make it a aggressive, modern hatch instead of a narrow Audi A2 wagon kind of design.
Believe it or not, the current design is prob more fuel efficient (think prius shape) so thats prob why they did it
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #60
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

The i3 is an amazing car, I test drove it and was incredibly impressed. But the exterior design unfortunately is fuggly. Why are these high-tech EV's ugly? Make them look cool and sexy then they will sell, it's that simple!

Here in New York State and in New Jersey I see tons of Teslas.

BMW you have the talent and the Designers and if you don't then it's time to hire a different crew. Let them go for it and make something kick ass, aggressive and sexy. Sleek and aerodynamic!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      05-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #61
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Famous quote: "The first revolution is when you change your mind, about how you look at things, and realize there is another way to look at it that you have not been shown".

Dude, the "public" are seen daily driving around in Camrys, Corrollas, Rav 4s, and F-150s, so what do they know?

I like tradition also. Many who've read my many posts in the 3 series area on BMW tradition and history know this.

However, you must note the transition going on here. The Internal Combustion Engine is on it's deathbed. So is traditional ICE design like jmg said earlier. The "i" line is a move into the future of the automobile. Sure, some of the designs are hard to accept at first, but when you understand what's going on, it becomes easier to accept.

Ignorance in all forms always manifests itself in fear, dissension, and hate. If you don't understand EVs, you may tend to not like any part of the subject.

I hated hybrids like the Prius to no end; still do. Why, because there was nothing futuristic in a hybrid as they still drove on gas. The silly, flaccid looks pointed to softness.

Most EVs took on this same esthetic, think Nissan Leaf. However, most men want either something aggressive looking or purposeful. The i3 is totally purposeful in it's execution and this was attractive to me. I gave the car a chance, did my research, took time to survey the environment, then started to view things in a different light.

Worst thing you can ever do is be the last person to "get it". Think Apple, Facebook, or Bitcoin.
Some people bought Pontiac Aztecs also.
Ya this guy

I find it funny that people think EVs are gonna take over in the near future. I live in a highly populated area just outside NYC. Barely see any full EVs.

I think the auto manufacturers are taking a gamble trying to shove this crap down our throats here in the US. Time will tell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      05-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #62
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Silhouttes always looks good, to say the least
      05-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #63
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

What we know / rumors about the "iNext" so far:

- probably named i9
- mid-size crossover (think i-Pace shape)
- expected in 2021
- concept in 2018
- 550 - 700 km / 350 - 450 miles range
- 350 kW charging likely
- Full-screen HUD?
- Autonomy level 3, upgradable to level 4 or higher
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #64
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Famous quote: "The first revolution is when you change your mind, about how you look at things, and realize there is another way to look at it that you have not been shown".

Dude, the "public" are seen daily driving around in Camrys, Corrollas, Rav 4s, and F-150s, so what do they know?

I like tradition also. Many who've read my many posts in the 3 series area on BMW tradition and history know this.

However, you must note the transition going on here. The Internal Combustion Engine is on it's deathbed. So is traditional ICE design like jmg said earlier. The "i" line is a move into the future of the automobile. Sure, some of the designs are hard to accept at first, but when you understand what's going on, it becomes easier to accept.

Ignorance in all forms always manifests itself in fear, dissension, and hate. If you don't understand EVs, you may tend to not like any part of the subject.

I hated hybrids like the Prius to no end; still do. Why, because there was nothing futuristic in a hybrid as they still drove on gas. The silly, flaccid looks pointed to softness.

Most EVs took on this same esthetic, think Nissan Leaf. However, most men want either something aggressive looking or purposeful. The i3 is totally purposeful in it's execution and this was attractive to me. I gave the car a chance, did my research, took time to survey the environment, then started to view things in a different light.

Worst thing you can ever do is be the last person to "get it". Think Apple, Facebook, or Bitcoin.
Ya this guy

I find it funny that people think EVs are gonna take over in the near future. I live in a highly populated area just outside NYC. Barely see any full EVs.

I think the auto manufacturers are taking a gamble trying to shove this crap down our throats here in the US. Time will tell.
NYC is not a driving city, so why would even a highly populated area just outside of it be any indication of the future of the automobile industry? LA and SF are driving cities. Time is already telling and it says that the EV will be a big player in what cars will look like in the near future. Government subsidies aside, less centralized power generation via suburban and commercial solar panels will relieve a lot of pressure from the power grid. It will be more convenient and economical for highly populated commuter centric cites to be able to charge their vehicles with their own collected power. It will also help elevate the need to transport fuel from source to consumer.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #65
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya this guy

NYC is not a driving city, so why would even a highly populated area just outside of it be any indication of the future of the automobile industry? LA and SF are driving cities. Time is already telling and it says that the EV will be a big player in what cars will look like in the near future. Government subsidies aside, less centralized power generation via suburban and commercial solar panels will relieve a lot of pressure from the power grid. It will be more convenient and economical for highly populated commuter centric cites to be able to charge their vehicles with their own collected power. It will also help elevate the need to transport fuel from source to consumer.
I live outside of NYC on Long Island which is highly populated with millions of people that need cars to get anywhere. Calling LA and SF (especially LA) driving cities is funny to me as they seem more like parking lots then anything else. Time will tell. I just don't see this EV "revolution" happening" here in the USA in the near future is all. Maybe Europe as the socialist Governments are hard at work forcing the population to transition for Mother Earth. People in the US want big ass pickup trucks/SUVs, fast ass muscle cars and long ranges. EVs do not offer any of that. Period.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #66
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya this guy

I live outside of NYC on Long Island which is highly populated with millions of people that need cars to get anywhere. Calling LA and SF (especially LA) driving cities is funny to me as they seem more like parking lots then anything else. Time will tell. I just don't see this EV "revolution" happening" here in the USA in the near future is all. Maybe Europe as the socialist Governments are hard at work forcing the population to transition for Mother Earth. People in the US want big ass pickup trucks/SUVs, fast ass muscle cars and long ranges. EVs do not offer any of that. Period.
Driving cities when it applies to the average consumer... but only the outskirts for the canyon carving enthusiasts. Commuter cities would be a more accurate term, considering the vastness of the city and shortcomings of mass transit.

It's no small accident that the I-Pace and iX3 are suvs/crossovers. Manufacturers are well aware of what the consumer trends are. California is the 5th largest economy in the world. It's safe to say that what people are buying here is pretty important and they would be paying attention.

Appreciate 0