New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-05-2024, 05:53 PM   #1
Saku241
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Parking brake problem ?

Hello

I have an F20 from 2018 and I have a weird noise when I start to release the parking brake and put in drive…
There is a brake noise like when the parking brake is still on…
The noise goes away after a few meter.

What I actually noticed also is if I got in reverse just a little then put it in drive there is no sound at all…

I mention also that my rotors and brake pads are just a few thousand kilometers « new »
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:55 PM   #2
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Probably just build up you clear when going in reverse. Brake maybe just slightly sticking, does it pull to one side? You can also shoot each with a thermometer to see if one is hotter than the rest.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:50 PM   #3
Saku241
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Probably just build up you clear when going in reverse. Brake maybe just slightly sticking, does it pull to one side? You can also shoot each with a thermometer to see if one is hotter than the rest.
I don’t think it’s a buildup because just put in reverse while holding the brake pedal and don’t move and then engage the drive mode is enough to remove the noise from the brakes…

I guess the parking break must stick ? Is there a way to solve this without removing the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:10 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

The parking brake works the same in both directions. So it should be a transmission issue, not the parking brake. You know you don't have to put it on the parking brake every time, don't you? So try without it.

The parking brake is implemented differently from the main brakes: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1972. Also, there is a maintenance advice to keep it going strong: see the manual, page 61. Also, it should not be used for prolonged period of time, especially in winter as the pads/shoes can freeze. Actually it only has to be used in addition to the transmission's parking mode (and a slight turn of the wheels towards off the road) on a steep slope.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:45 AM   #5
Saku241
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
The parking brake works the same in both directions. So it should be a transmission issue, not the parking brake. You know you don't have to put it on the parking brake every time, don't you? So try without it.

The parking brake is implemented differently from the main brakes: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1972. Also, there is a maintenance advice to keep it going strong: see the manual, page 61. Also, it should not be used for prolonged period of time, especially in winter as the pads/shoes can freeze. Actually it only has to be used in addition to the transmission's parking mode (and a slight turn of the wheels towards off the road) on a steep slope.
Cmon… it’s clearly not a transmission problem… transmission doesn’t make metal sound like parking brake applied… PLUS the sound comes from my rear wheels and I know of course parking brake works in both directions… I just tell you that it solves the problem and I don’t know why but it does

And of course you SHOULD always use your parking brake… even on a flat surface… you don’t want your transmission being the only thing keeping your car from moving, it puts a load on the parking pawl.

I don’t use parking brake on long period of time… I work everyday and I use my car everyday.

Also FYI you can’t do without your transmission parking mode… as soon as you turn off engine, parking mode turns on automatically

If you want to know the correct procedure, you have to maintain brake pedal, put in neutral, apply parking brake, release brake pedal then turn on transmission parking mode so the load will be on the parking brake and not the transmission…
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:53 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Lol I have same issue on my E92. I adjusted my handbrake months ago and when it's engaged for a certain period of time, like 10mins plus I guess (never timed it), I noticed there will be a slight drag and noise but then it clears up. But my handbrake is drum style, I think on more modern BMWs they are in the caliper.

EDIT: Oh nvm just saw the post of above that shows they are drum style to.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:47 PM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku241 View Post
If you want to know the correct procedure, you have to maintain brake pedal, put in neutral,
I would definitely add a prayer here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku241 View Post
apply parking brake, release brake pedal then turn on transmission parking mode so the load will be on the parking brake and not the transmission…
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 02:09 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

You should probably ask this in your model specefic general forum. Maybe others have had the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:29 PM   #9
keithyo88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i msport rwd

could be the BMW Parking Brake Cable Retaining Clip. many posts about plastic part cracking leading to cable making noise. you could listen under car while someone moves the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 05:00 AM   #10
Saku241
Registered
Rep

So I tried a new thing,
I drove a little while holding the parking brake and it does the same sound as described.
I did the same in reverse, no sound…
And then, I did it again in drive and… no more sound until I park my car
Appreciate 0