New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-06-2024, 03:22 PM   #1
scotty75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport

engine management light issue - 320d M Sport

The engine management line has lit up on my dash earlier, there was no sudden movement, loss of power, nothing yet the light has came on, it's not showing any issues on the iDrive either

its a 2020 320d M Sport

I got the car in November 2021 and its only done 21000 miles, it had 5000 when I bought it

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:28 PM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

The information you have and given is nothing to go on. You need to dig deeper, because error codes can be hidden and/or eventually go away.

As a minimum, get an error code reader and see if any error codes still exist. A generic error code reader ($15-30) may clue you in, but what you need is a BMW specific error coder reader.

If you do not plan to work and fix you car in the future by yourself, may be just take it to a shop and let them run a diagnostics scan. Or cheapest...go to an auto parts retailer or similar and ask them to use their error reader, if they have that over there in Europe.

If you want to invest time into it for the next few years, then can get a phone app and a dongle for about $30-50 that reads error codes. This forum has a lot of them discussed. Or a standalone reader on Amazon/Ebay for around $120. Or look for a thread here that links for free ISTA+ (BMW's own shop software) and PSZData Lite, and a $10 ENET cable (Ebay/Amazon).