New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
Bob4234
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive 35is

2 track nights a bust !!

Thought I would spend last year's bonus money upgrading my 2011 E89 Z4.
Larger radiator, intercooler, cat-less downpipes, stage 1 Turbos, upgrade charge-pipe, cone intakes. Only did the intakes by myself. Had tuned for all the upgrades. First track - Road Atlanta. First lap out of turn 7, stomp on it and limped back to pits. Showing ABS faults and "park brake"?? Lost money for track time and insurance. Drove to tuner and he changed throttle body because the computer told him it had stuck during ABS engagement. Next track night Atlanta Motorsports Park. Got in about 5 laps. Feelin good that I got in more than one lap - but - this ain't Road Atlanta. On forth or fifth lap, mid turn 13 full throttle. Limp, Limp, Faults on dash - "park brake", ABS symbol, and brake fault. Done for the day. Made it to tuner shop before closing and said he needs to take to Norcross shop and put on dyno to try to duplicate. If nothing than we pay for some laps at AMP and I duplicate it with computer hooked up.
Anyone else had limp mode like this?? Can't the computer read brake issues? My humble guess is that signals to brakes on ABS flash are screwed up. You can probably imagine how much money I am throwing at this! Any clues or advise greatly appreciated. Loosing out on track time and money!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 05:05 AM   #2
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

As you might know, my zed has probably done more track duty than any other z4 during 2020. During the last three years I have probably done more than 50 track visits all over China, and taken home around 20 time attack trophies. I have never had any problems related to ABS. I suspect it wont show up on the dyno either. If it happens mid-corner it might be because the brakes are working to reduce slip. Even if you drive on track with DSC=off, the rear brakes will still try to limit the slip, acting as an LSD. You can try and see if you can code out this functionality first and drive with DSC=off next time to test. If that solves the problem then you know what to do. Install an LSD haha.

I did replace the parking EMF module on my car long time ago because I had random problems with the parking brake. Its a bit expensive, and I wouldnt know if it solves your problem.

You said you installed a larger radiator. FYI, the csf radiator is not a larger radiator, and your water temps and DCT temps are definitely getting past 110C on track if its warm outside. Also you dont need cone-intakes fyi. Put the stock intake back in.

I spent more than a year (in 2018-19) track prepping my Z4, going through several cooling setup revisions, multiple sets of turbos, suspension setups and not to forget different attempts to solve the oil starvation issue (never succeeded). If you are concerned about loosing out on a few track days money, the best advice I can give you is to buy an M2C or cayman and use those cars for track duty instead. Use the Z4 for top down driving on the road instead, that's where the Z4 beats those cars.
Appreciate 1
jannisa54.00