New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
--
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

H&R make upgraded sway bars for the E89

http://www.e-parts.co.uk/product.asp...072900&manu=23
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #24
HowieZ4
Newbie!
HowieZ4's Avatar
7
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: S.E.Asia

iTrader: (0)

I've decided to go with the KW V3 upgrade path and am glad to read so many positive feedback here.

My one big question is, has anyone here with the installed KW V3 tried adjusting it to the softest setting?

I'm curious if the KW two-stage valves allows a rebound damping adjustment (comfort) set at the softest BUT a compression adjustment (driving dynamics) at the recommended setting will provide a comfortable ride but less body roll at the same time?

It might seem strange I'm upgrading to a high performance suspension but asking feedback for the softest setting vs. stock feel but it basically comes down to road conditions being not very good in Asia (90% driving) but need to be able to firm up for track days (10% driving) as well.

Any volunteer willing to test out this comfort setting for us sitting on the fence with the KW V3?

UPDATE: KW has also released an electronic adjustable DDC Coilover Kit that can be adjusted wirelessly from an iPhone! (http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_ddc.php)

It has the similar 3 settings like the factory adaptive suspension BUT with the added end user personalized fine setting in between. Seems it's available for the Series 1 & 3 but hopefully be adapted for the Z4 E89 soon.
__________________

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 02-14-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #25
shlai
Private
Hong Kong
6
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 3.5i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

my garage told me that kw v3 when set to 4 click to softest equal to the softness of the factory suspension. since where i drove in hong kong has lots of bumps and inperfection on road, i ask them for a less aggressive setup as a start. so they take the max. height, ie. 15mm drop at front and 10mm drop at rear, and set the bump to just one or two click harsher than the factory suspension. i feel the side roll during cornering has much improved, ans the front-back boating felt during hard acceleration and brake has much improved. but get no mistake, now the car seems to perform as good as my old E85. what i am trying to say is that i really dont know what those bmw engineers were thinking when setting e89
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #26
Hujan
Brigadier General
Hujan's Avatar
United_States
464
Rep
3,695
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (16)

The KWs are tempting. The E89 suspension feels way too loose to me, especially compared to the M3. I can't imagine it with 100 more HP/TQ.

At the same time, I don't want to harshen the ride. I often find that stiffer suspensions are slower suspensions on the street. I like to hear that the KW v3s can be setup to provide roll reduction but not ride so harsh.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #27
shlai
Private
Hong Kong
6
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 3.5i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

i had my kw v3 installed fora week, and here us my review:
Thumbs up:
1. body roll is much eliminated whether on tight, fast turn or broad, long turn at high
2. easy to adjust rebound and compression without jacking up the car. i set the car at rather high height so i am still able to turn the dial of the strut at rear with a long rod
3. the ride is not harsh, of course it is slightly harsher than stock

Thumbs down:
1. the rear is making lots of knocking sound. i believe it is the notorious spring binding problem
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #28
shlai
Private
Hong Kong
6
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 3.5i DCT
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

the rear spring is already touching itself even when the car is static. some paint chip off from the spring near the top end
Attached Images
  

Last edited by shlai; 02-10-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #29
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber511 View Post
i have H&R SWAYBAR ON THE CAR TOO
I've the same combo kw v3 and H&R sway bars on stiffest.
And even with softest KW v3, its lot harder and bumpier than stock suspension for daily driving. My gf hates it. May be in need to downsize 19" to 18" or a softer sidewall tire other than my current PS4S.
What are your experiences?
__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:51 AM   #30
KennyP
New Member
KennyP's Avatar
Estonia
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Planning on getting V3s next month. How is the highest ride height setting with them compared to M adaptive suspension that was already lowered from factory. Can i get the same ride height or is the max ride height of V3s still lower than M adaptive? If so by how much? Reading datasheets my understanding is that V3 is 5mm lower than M adaptive in its maximum setting.
Is there a recommended ride height from KW?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:50 AM   #31
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Planning on getting V3s next month. How is the highest ride height setting with them compared to M adaptive suspension that was already lowered from factory. Can i get the same ride height or is the max ride height of V3s still lower than M adaptive? If so by how much? Reading datasheets my understanding is that V3 is 5mm lower than M adaptive in its maximum setting.
Is there a recommended ride height from KW?
I bought V3s and had them set little lower than how they and result was super stiff spring. So I raised rear all the way and raised front a little more (for clearance of course). Truth is highest setting on rear is already very low. However its a different story for front. you can raise front way more than stock. But rear is quite low.

Highest setting for rear:

__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #32
KennyP
New Member
KennyP's Avatar
Estonia
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
I bought V3s and had them set little lower than how they and result was super stiff spring. So I raised rear all the way and raised front a little more (for clearance of course). Truth is highest setting on rear is already very low. However its a different story for front. you can raise front way more than stock. But rear is quite low.
Thanks for the information. Just ordered mine. I guess when fitting one should start from the back. Set it to highest and then adjust front to match the rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:31 AM   #33
Asbjorn
Captain
Asbjorn's Avatar
China
51
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: European in China

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for posting this. Definitely confirms that I wont be able to run coil overs on my car on Chinese roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #34
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber511 View Post
Kw V3 Impression ( setting , two level up on compression and one level up at reboud from the kw suggesion setting )
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, The car feels totally different. You feel the car glue on the road and 80% of bodyroll has been eliminated ( street drive ) . I lot of people want to know wheather it is stiff or not, Yes it is stiffer than the factory EDC SPORT + , BUT B/C OF THE PROGRASS SPRING ,the car still feel very very comfortable. This is the setting bmw should have on Sport car. Now i feel i Drive a porsche. KW V3 + H&R SWAYBAY + michelin pilot super sport = OR > than a BMW M car . Highly recommend .
I've the similar setup 19" MPS4S 19" with H&R swaybar and running on factory recommended compression/rebound. I agree on the handling part. But I feel its uncomfortable for DD. I've rear set all the way up, but its still feels pretty low (less than a finger gap). may be my mechanic didnt do it right. What could be different from yours?
__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #35
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlai View Post
my garage told me that kw v3 when set to 4 click to softest equal to the softness of the factory suspension. since where i drove in hong kong has lots of bumps and inperfection on road, i ask them for a less aggressive setup as a start. so they take the max. height, ie. 15mm drop at front and 10mm drop at rear, and set the bump to just one or two click harsher than the factory suspension. i feel the side roll during cornering has much improved, ans the front-back boating felt during hard acceleration and brake has much improved. but get no mistake, now the car seems to perform as good as my old E85. what i am trying to say is that i really dont know what those bmw engineers were thinking when setting e89
Are you comparing drop to stock? My mechanic set the max height for rear and its too low (~1 fingergap). Do you've picture of yours?
__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #36
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Thanks for the information. Just ordered mine. I guess when fitting one should start from the back. Set it to highest and then adjust front to match the rear.
did you do it? How did it go. Post pictures.
__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #37
KennyP
New Member
KennyP's Avatar
Estonia
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
did you do it? How did it go. Post pictures.
Ordered at the end of may. KW had spring sale going on from march till end of may with 350 eur off on all KW V3 kits(all makes and models). KW V1 and V2 had price reduction aswell. Because of that i guess they have a lot of orders to deal with and dispatch times are really long. Did not order from KW Germany directly and used Demon Tweeks webshop as they were a tiny bit cheaper. Got confirmation from Demon Tweeks that they would have my V3 kit in stock by 12th of june. Its 15th now and still nothing. And to keep in mind Demon Tweeks has to ship them from UK to Estonia on top of that. Its been 18 days since i placed my order. Was hoping to have them in my hands at the end of next week (21.06) but guess thats not happening.

Read your other post on dealing with the stiffness and changing swaybars back to stock. As KW lowers the car the tension on the swaybar may change. Preload or something. You can try finding adjustable swaybar links that can be made shorter or longer to dial that preload out. Im not an expert on suspension tuning but have read a bit on that. Thats why some kits come with adjustable end links already in the box.

Interested to see on how your setup tweaking goes. Im also on 19" and Michelin Pilot Supersport tires.

Im training myself to get used to the stiffer ride by driving all the time in Sport+ with the adaptive suspension. Then when i install KW it wont seem too ruff maybe. To be honest adaptive suspension spoils a man. sport+ on smooth roads and when you see even a bit of ruffer road you push a button twice to comfort and coast over the bumps etc. You never experiance that bumpiness and harshness. Now that im going everywhere in sport+ its totally different but i am getting used to it. My previos cars have had stiff suspension on them aswell. Never tried coilovers but have had spring kits (tein, eibach) and swaybars with camber adjustment on numerous TYPE R cars.

Also when seaching for KW saw your advertisement on Facebook selling your KW V3 kit. Facebook showed it to me on marketplace top picks window every time i logged in. Guess you changed your mind?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:05 AM   #38
KennyP
New Member
KennyP's Avatar
Estonia
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
Are you comparing drop to stock? My mechanic set the max height for rear and its too low (~1 fingergap). Do you've picture of yours?
One thing to consider. Maybe your kit was assembled with wrong rear springs that are shorter? Maybe a simple human mistake?

Check this part 3 from a 3part series on making KW v3 suspension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugAeesNN3gk

It shows how they take parts from the shelves including springs and there are a lot of them to choose from in the warehouse. Its not like they have a big label E89 Z4 on them.

Also read a thread on F80 forum with similar rear height problem. KW sent him 20mm longer springs to fix the issue.

Quote:
I just talked to KW about my issue. They confirmed that there is nothing wrong if I will use longer spring, 2cm longer, but with the same force. They are sending me such spring next week. Also, spring with higher force would work, but they decided to go this way.

So problem is solved. 120nm/220mm spring will be used, instead of 120/200. Which will solve all the problems.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1364950

Maybe contact KW directly and have them help you out?

Last edited by KennyP; 06-15-2019 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #39
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
One thing to consider. Maybe your kit was assembled with wrong rear springs that are shorter? Maybe a simple human mistake?

Check this part 3 from a 3part series on making KW v3 suspension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugAeesNN3gk

It shows how they take parts from the shelves including springs and there are a lot of them to choose from in the warehouse. Its not like they have a big label E89 Z4 on them.

Also read a thread on F80 forum with similar rear height problem. KW sent him 20mm longer springs to fix the issue.
Sent an email to support. lets see.


https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1364950

Maybe contact KW directly and have them help you out?
Coilover kit was shipped from germany with instructions that its for e89. Can they ship wrong springs?
__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport

Last edited by taranfx; 06-21-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #40
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Ordered at the end of may. KW had spring sale going on from march till end of may with 350 eur off on all KW V3 kits(all makes and models). KW V1 and V2 had price reduction aswell. Because of that i guess they have a lot of orders to deal with and dispatch times are really long. Did not order from KW Germany directly and used Demon Tweeks webshop as they were a tiny bit cheaper. Got confirmation from Demon Tweeks that they would have my V3 kit in stock by 12th of june. Its 15th now and still nothing. And to keep in mind Demon Tweeks has to ship them from UK to Estonia on top of that. Its been 18 days since i placed my order. Was hoping to have them in my hands at the end of next week (21.06) but guess thats not happening.

Read your other post on dealing with the stiffness and changing swaybars back to stock. As KW lowers the car the tension on the swaybar may change. Preload or something. You can try finding adjustable swaybar links that can be made shorter or longer to dial that preload out. Im not an expert on suspension tuning but have read a bit on that. Thats why some kits come with adjustable end links already in the box.

Interested to see on how your setup tweaking goes. Im also on 19" and Michelin Pilot Supersport tires.

Im training myself to get used to the stiffer ride by driving all the time in Sport+ with the adaptive suspension. Then when i install KW it wont seem too ruff maybe. To be honest adaptive suspension spoils a man. sport+ on smooth roads and when you see even a bit of ruffer road you push a button twice to comfort and coast over the bumps etc. You never experiance that bumpiness and harshness. Now that im going everywhere in sport+ its totally different but i am getting used to it. My previos cars have had stiff suspension on them aswell. Never tried coilovers but have had spring kits (tein, eibach) and swaybars with camber adjustment on numerous TYPE R cars.

Also when seaching for KW saw your advertisement on Facebook selling your KW V3 kit. Facebook showed it to me on marketplace top picks window every time i logged in. Guess you changed your mind?
Thanks for the amazing tip. Front swaybar links are available but i dont see any adjustable swaybar links for rear anywhere. If you see any, feel free to send me a link.
Swaybar preload can change comfort but it shouldnt be dramatically different IMO.

Yes I considered selling them when they were new but I decided against it since I love driving dynamics now. I just decided to not have anyone in the car who would complain about comfort

Stock recommended air pressure 38F and 44R PSI is too high for PS4S I believe. -4 PSI (cold tires) all around helps with comfort. Recommended air pressure of RFTs isn't comfortable with PS4S's stiff sidewall I guess. Also, my tires are upsized i.e 235 and 265 (instead of 225 and 255) so a lower air pressure shouldnt affect traction control or odometer much.

While you're waiting, let me tell you driving dynamics make up for added discomfort. Generally, its only uncomfortable upto 40mph i feel. Anything faster, it feels great.
__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #41
KennyP
New Member
KennyP's Avatar
Estonia
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
Thanks for the amazing tip. Front swaybar links are available but i dont see any adjustable swaybar links for rear anywhere. If you see any, feel free to send me a link.
Swaybar preload can change comfort but it shouldnt be dramatically different IMO.

Yes I considered selling them when they were new but I decided against it since I love driving dynamics now. I just decided to not have anyone in the car who would complain about comfort

Stock recommended air pressure 38F and 44R PSI is too high for PS4S I believe. -4 PSI (cold tires) all around helps with comfort. Recommended air pressure of RFTs isn't comfortable with PS4S's stiff sidewall I guess. Also, my tires are upsized i.e 235 and 265 (instead of 225 and 255) so a lower air pressure shouldnt affect traction control or odometer much.

While you're waiting, let me tell you driving dynamics make up for added discomfort. Generally, its only uncomfortable upto 40mph i feel. Anything faster, it feels great.
I will keep an eye out for the rear links.

Im running stock size Supersports and i am using stock pressures. For me the car does not feel right on lower pressures.At least on a street. For track i can see the benefits in lowering pressures for more grip. I have 19` rims that are notorious for cracking on the the rear inside edge (style 296). Running lower pressures with the camber bmw has in the rear is asking for the cracks to appear. Someone here even suggested running higher pressures at the rear to keep rear inside edge from cracking+ of course getting rid of runflats. Your wheels TARANFX im guessing are forged and stronger and you should not have those issues to worry about Additionally you can go on Michelin website select your car and tire and it gives you the pressures Michelin recommends. And for me they were same as stock pressures. i even got Michelin electronic pressure gauge to check my pressures regularly cause Bmw system measuring the rolling diameter actually sucks and is worthless. It notifies you when your tire is already half empty and even that happens when you drive straight on a smoother road for some time for the system to have time to notice the difference in diameters.

On the matter of KW V3 order: Still waiting. Hoping to have them shipped my way on the 12th and arrive on maybe 18th or so. Longest time i have ever waited for anything car related but well good things dont ever happen fast or easily. Saying that i still think that almost 2 month delivery time is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited by KennyP; 07-06-2019 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:07 AM   #42
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlai View Post
the rear spring is already touching itself even when the car is static. some paint chip off from the spring near the top end
I've the same. Apparently, thats how it is for e89.
__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:12 AM   #43
taranfx
Z4 35is
taranfx's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I will keep an eye out for the rear links.

Im running stock size Supersports and i am using stock pressures. For me the car does not feel right on lower pressures.At least on a street. For track i can see the benefits in lowering pressures for more grip. I have 19` rims that are notorious for cracking on the the rear inside edge (style 296). Running lower pressures with the camber bmw has in the rear is asking for the cracks to appear. Someone here even suggested running higher pressures at the rear to keep rear inside edge from cracking+ of course getting rid of runflats. Your wheels TARANFX im guessing are forged and stronger and you should not have those issues to worry about Additionally you can go on Michelin website select your car and tire and it gives you the pressures Michelin recommends. And for me they were same as stock pressures. i even got Michelin electronic pressure gauge to check my pressures regularly cause Bmw system measuring the rolling diameter actually sucks and is worthless. It notifies you when your tire is already half empty and even that happens when you drive straight on a smoother road for some time for the system to have time to notice the difference in diameters.

On the matter of KW V3 order: Still waiting. Hoping to have them shipped my way on the 12th and arrive on maybe 18th or so. Longest time i have ever waited for anything car related but well good things dont ever happen fast or easily. Saying that i still think that almost 2 month delivery time is a bit ridiculous.
I've an update on my kw v3. I finally found a balance between comfort and sportiness.
Apparently my mechanic had lowered the rear all the way making the damper run in stiff mode, no matter how soft I used to set it. I raised the rear spring by an inch and that reduced the rear stiffness by a huge margin.

Also using these settings:
Front: bump: 2 rebound: 4
Rear: bump: 3 rebound 4.
Now it's as stiff as Stock suspension sport mode and yet way more dynamic. I love it.
__________________
2011 Z4 E89 35is 2016 435i GC m-sport
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST