New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

New owner here

New owner here. Picked up 2013 35i with 22k miles last month... mods to be done are moderate tune, aluminum charge pipe, MMI with back up cam...

Found that my car does not have the under glove box 12v power outlet... has the hole but no plug or wiring harness... does anyone know if the harness is buried under the dash or can it be added?

Thanks... love the info here and looking forward to contributing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Do the rooftop maintenance ASAP, before mods. Look up Robbi’s threads/posts.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #3
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep

Already replaced the relays and lubed the pivot points
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #4
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
The power receptacle should be in the footwell. The panel it's mounted to has to come out to swap out the cabin air filter. When you take the panel off, you have to disconnect the wires from the back of the socket. It's likely it was broken off.

You could pull the panel down and check. The socket may be loose and tucked up there someplace. If it's not, it should be easy to get a replacement.

It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the cabin air filter either if you don't know when it was last done.

Gerry
      10-16-2022, 04:19 PM   #5
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCW View Post
Already replaced the relays and lubed the pivot points
That’s a start, but it’s more than that. The rooftop will leave you stranded. Even if you have zero plan to use it. Guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 04:20 PM   #6
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
The power receptacle should be in the footwell. The panel it's mounted to has to come out to swap out the cabin air filter. When you take the panel off, you have to disconnect the wires from the back of the socket. It's likely it was broken off.

You could pull the panel down and check. The socket may be loose and tucked up there someplace. If it's not, it should be easy to get a replacement.

It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the cabin air filter either if you don't know when it was last done.

Gerry
Thanks Gerry

I took the panel off there is nothing there, It looks like there was never a socket plugged in and no wiring harness or connector plug.

New Carbon Cabin filter was installed prior to purchase, but thanks for the reminder. i will check it out to make sure. I really want something more proactical than the outlet next to the ashtray or in the center console.

I'm thinking of piggybacking some power from the plug in the ash tray outlet and running the feed over to the new location.

So far it seems like everyone has this plug except me!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 04:38 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Good advice from Gerry.

Wow, that is odd there is no actual socket. I'm confused esp since there is a hole. Maybe someone just replaced the whole thing for whatever reason?? I'd install one since it's obviously useful for carcams, etc.

Anyway, congrats on your new ride!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 05:36 PM   #8
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Gerry

I took the panel off there is nothing there, It looks like there was never a socket plugged in and no wiring harness or connector plug.

New Carbon Cabin filter was installed prior to purchase, but thanks for the reminder. i will check it out to make sure. I really want something more proactical than the outlet next to the ashtray or in the center console.

I'm thinking of piggybacking some power from the plug in the ash tray outlet and running the feed over to the new location.

So far it seems like everyone has this plug except me!
I would guess that it was removed and some accessory wired off the circuit.

realoem.com isn't clear on which connector/socket goes where, but there's a small connector that the wire connects to with the socket assy at the other end. A little help from your local parts guy could probably sort it. Get the connector or cable/connector and use that to set up additional power connections.

From the manual:
Sockets
In your BMW, when the engine is running or
the ignition is switched on, you can use electri‐
cal devices such as a hand lamp, car vacuum
cleaner, etc., as long as one of the following
sockets is available. The total load of all sock‐
ets must not exceed 140 watts at 12 V. Avoid
damaging the sockets by attempting to insert
plugs of unsuitable shape or size.
That indicates to me they are all on the same circuit. From their cryptic pictogram fuse diagram I'm guessing it's fuse 8.

Good luck.

Gerry
      10-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
surfwooder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 Z4

Garage List
2008 BMW 328IC  [0.00]
2009 Z4  [0.00]
Even though your new Z only has 22K miles, you may want to change all the fluids. I am originally from Florida, and know the highways, and basic weather conditions. Break fluid collects moisture from the humidity. This moisture pool in all the low spots in the system like calipers. It will rust and pit the piston walls, impeding the piston. You may want to change the transmission fluid, since you don't know how the previous owner drove the car. Get yourself a high quality BMW specific scan tool. Scan the car about every 30 days to weed out possible problems before they become big money problems. If parked outside check the trunk battery well for water, and check the well for the hydraulic unit. Check near every movable joints in top for any pinching, or chaffing of the cable runs. Broken wires in the harness is a real pain to fix, and find. Also, note the tubing for the hydraulic system for chaffing, and pinching. Look for any leak evidence on the headliner. Check the operational time, 22 seconds up, and same down. Listen for any grinding, squeaks, while operating the top. Enjoy your new Z.
      10-17-2022, 01:31 PM   #10
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwooder View Post
Even though your new Z only has 22K miles, you may want to change all the fluids. I am originally from Florida, and know the highways, and basic weather conditions. Break fluid collects moisture from the humidity. This moisture pool in all the low spots in the system like calipers. It will rust and pit the piston walls, impeding the piston. You may want to change the transmission fluid, since you don't know how the previous owner drove the car. Get yourself a high quality BMW specific scan tool. Scan the car about every 30 days to weed out possible problems before they become big money problems. If parked outside check the trunk battery well for water, and check the well for the hydraulic unit. Check near every movable joints in top for any pinching, or chaffing of the cable runs. Broken wires in the harness is a real pain to fix, and find. Also, note the tubing for the hydraulic system for chaffing, and pinching. Look for any leak evidence on the headliner. Check the operational time, 22 seconds up, and same down. Listen for any grinding, squeaks, while operating the top. Enjoy your new Z.
Thanks! Brake fluid and oil filter service done when purchased...I use Protool app for coding and usually check my vehicles quarterly. Replaced salmon relays... it's a weekend car and sits in the garage... I'll likely put a few 1000 miles on year on it. I usually do most of my own maintenence and use a quick jack. So far it's been a fun car. Drive it from south dakota to Florida. It was a great drive
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #11
Trex
Sport Geezer
Rep
Drives: X1, F10, G80 (6 MT)

You have a lot of great miles ahead of you. New plugs at 30,000 miles. Maybe new diff oil at 40,000 miles. Keep an eye on tire pressure.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:17 PM   #12
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
You have a lot of great miles ahead of you. New plugs at 30,000 miles. Maybe new diff oil at 40,000 miles. Keep an eye on tire pressure.
Wow; that's a little excessive! I've got 70k+ on originals and am just now starting to consider replacing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:23 PM   #13
SpectreMech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 iDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
That’s a start, but it’s more than that. The rooftop will leave you stranded. Even if you have zero plan to use it. Guaranteed.
Wait...back up. Even if you have no plan to use it? Because of a lot of skin cancer issues I rarely drop the top. Are you telling me if the top faults while up it will disable the car?

2011 35is with 72K miles. I've had it three years and it's been flawless, but you guys are about to spook me into selling.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:32 PM   #14
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreMech View Post
Wait...back up. Even if you have no plan to use it? Because of a lot of skin cancer issues I rarely drop the top. Are you telling me if the top faults while up it will disable the car?

2011 35is with 72K miles. I've had it three years and it's been flawless, but you guys are about to spook me into selling.
Sorry about your skin condition. That must be horrible.

From the stories that Robbie tells, yes, the rooftop is sufficiently logically connected to the rest of the car to mess up window operations and such, even if you’re not using it. Now that I know, I’d check that first, then the DCT, then the state of the oil residues with a lab test. BMWs have become very capricious.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 02:25 AM   #15
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Congratulations on your recent purchase

I've got to admit that I was under the impression that all US E89's had the 12v socket, but anyway....

So I've attached the wiring diagram, so it confirms its fed from the same fuse.
Also a photo of the kick panel showing a socket installed and a couple of photos of the socket that should be fitted, one showing the connection pins and one showing how someone was selling one with the wire and plug attached.

Hope that's of help

As for the MMI box, I highly recommend the Mr12volt box, it may be a little more in cost than the Aliexpress ones but the quality is fantastic. My installation video is here...
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #16
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Congratulations on your recent purchase

I've got to admit that I was under the impression that all US E89's had the 12v socket, but anyway....

So I've attached the wiring diagram, so it confirms its fed from the same fuse.
Also a photo of the kick panel showing a socket installed and a couple of photos of the socket that should be fitted, one showing the connection pins and one showing how someone was selling one with the wire and plug attached.

Hope that's of help

As for the MMI box, I highly recommend the Mr12volt box, it may be a little more in cost than the Aliexpress ones but the quality is fantastic. My installation video is here...
I am going to add the Mr12V MMI box and front and rear cameras. Not much of a need to Android auto.

The details seem pretty straight forward. I do not have the CDC or prep... however, when it comes to coding, I use the Protools app and have made the mod for the CCMM_CHANGER3=mp3_cdc. I do not want to need to turn off voice control.

Is that the only coding change I need to make? any more modules I need to look at?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 10:25 AM   #17
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am going to add the Mr12V MMI box and front and rear cameras. Not much of a need to Android auto.

The details seem pretty straight forward. I do not have the CDC or prep... however, when it comes to coding, I use the Protools app and have made the mod for the CCMM_CHANGER3=mp3_cdc. I do not want to need to turn off voice control.

Is that the only coding change I need to make? any more modules I need to look at?
Mr12volt have a distribution network in the US (as far as I'm aware) cutting down on shipping time and import duties
There is a direct link in my video description.

You may need to add VO code $672 (CDC Prep) to CAS, NFRM and CIC for this to work

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #18
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not much of a need to Android auto.
Why not? Gives you on-screen live Google Maps (or whatever your chosen nav app is). More radio channels (internet based), music from Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music and on device music libary etc

As well as Apple CarPlay for the iPhone owner.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #19
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreMech View Post
Wait...back up. Even if you have no plan to use it?
There is a potential that if something goes wrong with the roof system then it can affect the windows from operating (stuck down or up) and prevent the trunk from being opened (this bit can be got around though) as it locks it as though the roof is in motion.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 08:04 PM   #20
DarkAether
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW Z4 SDrive28i

FWIW, My 2016 also has no signs of ever having a 12v socket in the footwell panel.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 11:58 PM   #21
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

Congrats on the car! Glad to have you here.

But yeah mine doesn't have the 12v under there either lol would be nice to have for like a dash cam instead of hard wiring it up not a big deal ...What were you planning to put in there? Radar detector or something?

On a somewhat related note, I installed a bimmertech mmi back-up camera and my god was that shit a pain in the ass. Camera trajectory lines isn't anywhere near the actual width of the car and resolution is okay at best. I don't regret it though damn nice having a back up camera for peace of mind.

If you're going to get a chargepipe with BOV, don't use Tial Q, can't hear it at all. Only at like full boost then you can hear it decently well but otherwise it's like non-existent...if you want something quiet then that'll be perfect lol
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 06:20 PM   #22
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep

Loving the car...

I actually just want to charge my phone but don't want the ashtray open all the time. I'm going to add a usb charger outlet behind the dash. I'm going install when I remove the console to install the MMI.

I have back up cams and front cams on all my vehicles...

For now simple stage one tune with a new charge pipe. Not a big fan of noisy BOV... it's more a weekend touring car
Appreciate 0