New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

09-30-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition

Next Watch

So I'm struggling between 2 brands and 4 styles for my next watch. I have a 4k Budget and already have some nice watches.

Rolex vs Omega

I have always been sceptical about Rolex, to me they are the "Ferrari" of the watch world, the goto swiss watch. Very good but too common. More so everyone seems to have one or a fake one at least.

I have always liked Omega, the orange SM Planet Ocean was my favourite but as that's now discontinued I have my eye on either a Sea Master 300m (Grey Face Blue Bezel) or the SM Aqua Terra (all silver with blue hands)

The Rolex's are either the Oyster Perpetual (Black Face) or the Explorer?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

"Ferrari" of the watch world, the goto swiss watch. Very good but too common. More so everyone seems to have one or a fake one at least.

Ferrari is common?

Ok, both watches are great if you want a decent watch. My wife has a Planet Ocean with Orange bezel and strap, and she loves it. Rolex is a great watch, I wouldn't call either common. You might have a look at an Omega Speedy.

The other option if you want a PO is used. There are great options out there at decent savings.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
My first "real" watch was an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm, and after that I was hooked.

Treated myself at the end of last year to a watch I'd been eyeing for magazines for three years, the all-ceramic 45.5mm Deep Black, love this watch!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ny325882.00
      09-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Just reading the OP it seems clear to me what you want
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

I'm in a similar boat... I current have a PAM and Tag but want something with a GMT feature since my new job has me covering multiple timezone.... or at least that my justification for buying some new bling..

I was planing on getting a polar Explorer II but am starting to fall in love with the Tudor GMT that was just released. It's about half as much at the Rolex and for those in the know, they get it but it's much more subtle than a rolex.

I really wanted a Batman GMT but the price premium is just silly right now.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep

Ferrari to me is the common supercar yes...

You see more of them than McLaren, Lamborghini etc. The Porsche 911 is the only more common, but Porsches own admission they are "sports cars" not supercars. Except the GT2 RS

The Omega PO in the last photo is epic... Hmm...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I think Rolex is some sort of Mercedes-Benz ,it does hold its value better than Ferrari as well as Omega
You can also encounter fake Omegas albeit number of Rolex fakes are higher
I would pick silver dial Date Just but if you are some kind of person who likes any color as long as it's black when it comes to black (sounds familiar with this quote ) then black is the way to go
      10-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
stalkem
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 35D

Love my Milgauss. Plenty of Rolex options out there.

But next watch in the collection is definitely an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT with a blue face. Love it!

For your budget, you could also pick up a couple other well made brands. My other reliable daily wears are Tag Carrera and Raymond Weil Freelancer. Love having a bit of variety!
Attached Images

Last edited by stalkem; 10-01-2019 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: fixed picture
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep

I love the Milgauss…
I am leaning towards the OP, but part of me would love an Omega.

I tend to have a lot of "sports" watches or "diving" watches, I think more of a dress watch should be next...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:52 AM   #10
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I'm looking at the new 2019 Seiko 5 line. Especially the blue dial/bezel, and black dial/bezel model. It supposedly replaced the SKX model. My SS Submariner, Datejust, and Sarb033 are in my collection. Along with other watches.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

$4000.00 isn't getting you a Rolex. Stick with Omega.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #12
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Easy, get an Omega; they're available. I must admit that once I started wearing Rolex little else would end up on my wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I think Rolex is some sort of Mercedes-Benz ,it does hold its value better than Ferrari as well as Omega
You can also encounter fake Omegas albeit number of Rolex fakes are higher
I would pick silver dial Date Just but if you are some kind of person who likes any color as long as it's black when it comes to black (sounds familiar with this quote ) then black is the way to go
Bought a phony Planet Ocean Omega once; there are some really good fakes out there. Rolexes are becoming hard to get in the popular colors and models. They keep seeming to appreciate as well.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 10-05-2019 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

More of a fan of omega have vintage speedmaster and newer seamaster that apes the 57 original. New coaxial movement with anti magnetic far better than the offerings in Rolex. Sold a seadweller never looked back.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
More of a fan of omega have vintage speedmaster and newer seamaster that apes the 57 original. New coaxial movement with anti magnetic far better than the offerings in Rolex. Sold a seadweller never looked back.
Right, there are multiple revisions of the Omega co-axial movements; the first couple were prone to lock-up and required great finesse in servicing. The current Rolex superlative chronometer specification is pretty amazing (+/- 2 secs/day or essentially a minute per month). Rolex watches in general are pretty solid. I wouldn't want to get a vintage speedo wet either. Oh yeah there's the Omega depreciation to contend with unless you can get a hot model.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
Right, there are multiple revisions of the Omega co-axial movements; the first couple were prone to lock-up and required great finesse in servicing. The current Rolex superlative chronometer specification is pretty amazing (+/- 2 secs/day or essentially a minute per month). Rolex watches in general are pretty solid. I wouldn't want to get a vintage speedo wet either. Oh yeah there's the Omega depreciation to contend with unless you can get a hot model.
Well of course I wouldnt get a vintage speedy wet? I also wouldn't pay retail on new omega slightly used and price was really good on the seamaster.
Appreciate 0