New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Bespoke Z4 35i - Mods and Suggestions?

Greetings! Joined here when I bought my first Black Z4 35i in 2012 and just picked up my second Z4, this time a Havana 35i.

The mods that have been done to the Havana so far...

1. Cobb Tune (Stage 1 Linear Throttle = 360hp)
2. Bmw Concept Rims
3. Michelin PSS.
4. M Performance Calipers
5. Hawk Ceramic Pads
6. Sprintbooster
7. AFe Pro Dry S Filters
8. CF side mirrors
9. CF Roll Hoops
10. Kivic Airplay Stereo Link
11. LCI Headlights and Side lights
12. Black leather seats with Beige Stitching
13. Xpel Full Clear Wrap
14. M Sport Front Bumper Retrofit

Considering...

1. Eisenmann Race Exhaust
2. FMIC and Oil Cooler

Any other mods I should consider? Open to all suggestions!

Photos are before/after LCI Headlights/Side lights. Vossen to Concept Rims.

Cheers,
Howie
Attached Images

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 04-20-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Lovely looking motor. You must really love it to spend that on it.

I love mine too, but there are too many issues over the years, niggly ones, that put me off spending on it that much.

Since a replacement alternator a few weeks ago due to a whine noise, I still have the whine and now also a growl noise at first start up from the idle pulleys. Plus this morning in the cold I noted a rattle from the underside of the car when gears were changing, a ticking noise just before gear changes.

Sick of little rattly noises like that, also have rattles from the turbos too. Its not a quality car as much as it looks lovely. Mine at least.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

nice car OP! FMIC for sure. aftermarket oil cooler you can probably skip if you don't track it

How about switching the PSS for a more aggressive tire as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

Thanks guys. The Z4 is a lovely car and its design has stayed fresh all these years. The first Z4 I bought in 2012 from the UK and it has not given me any problems so that convinced me to pick up another in Asia.

ManiacGT, sorry to hear you're having those problems with your car. I've had cars with niggles in the past and it does put a damper on things. Hope you get them sorted out.

Seems quite a bit of the noise you're experiencing are gearbox related. Is your transmission oil from new? I know Bmw says it's "lifetime" but I was having some clunky gear changes and changing the transmission oil eliminated the problems. Shifts are much smoother now and no more thunking noise.

Also, check for leaks as the transmission oil pan has a tendency to leak and if you're low on transmission oil, all sorts of weird behavior can crop up. Low transmission oil of 2 liters will make the gearbox feel like it's slipping and lurching.

When I changed mine, the mechanic only put back 6.5 liters out of 9.5 and the engine would stall and cut off in addition to lurching and sputtering on steep inclines/declines. Topping up the oil cleared those problems.

Nicknaz, yes, I'm seriously thinking of the FMIC so that I have the option to flash Cobb Stage 2 for group drives. The rest of the time I plan to use on Stage 1 since the car performs brilliantly for daily use with less wear. I'm leaning towards the Wagner FMIC since it doesn't require a bumper removal or cutting the trims to fit.

As for more aggressive tires, I have 19" on my first Z4 and it's good for Europe but the poor road conditions in Asia make the 18" more practical. Might still give the 19" tires a try if I can find the 313 rims locally.

Cheers. Howie

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 01-24-2015 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieZ4 View Post
Nicknaz, yes, I'm seriously thinking of the FMIC so that I have the option to flash Cobb Stage 2 for group drives. The rest of the time I plan to use on Stage 1 since the car performs brilliantly for daily use with less wear. I'm leaning towards the Wagner FMIC since it doesn't require a bumper removal or cutting the trims to fit.

As for more aggressive tires, I have 19" on my black Z4 and it's good for Europe but the poor road conditions in Asia makes the 18" more practical. Might give the 19" tires a try on the next tire change.

Cheers. Howie
FMIC will only get you to "stage 1+" you need the downpipes for stage 2 off the shelf tune

Use the 18" tire but get a more aggressive compound. You are already traction limited in 1st with the PSS and your Cobb stg1
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Good stuff!

Next.. drop+wheels?
      01-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

How does the Sprintbooster work with the Cobb linear throttle map? Seems like they would negate each other to some degree? As far as recommendations, I am very pleased with my Evolution Racewerks intercooler. It is probably not the easiest to install or the cheapest, but very high quality. Mine was installed with the bumper in place if that helps at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

Nicknaz, which tires with the more aggressive compound would you recommend for our Z4? Will look into the downpipes. Will cat delete with the mid pipes do for Cobb Stage 2?

I might do a wheel change in a few months. Just changed to the Concept rims and really liking the concave so will keep that for a bit. Drop might not be suitable for our roads, too many potholes here.

The Sprintbooster works very well with the Stage 1 LT. It compliments the Linear throttle power delivery but just makes the throttle response more urgent and minimizes the turbo lag significantly. Kinda feels like a NA engine now.

Thanks for the suggestions! Cheers.

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Quote:
Greetings! Joined here when I bought my first Black Z4 35i in 2012 and just picked up my second Z4, this time a Havana 35i.

The mods that have been done to the Havana so far...

1. Cobb Tune (Stage 1 Linear Throttle = 360hp)
2. Bmw Concept Rims
3. Michelin PSS.
4. M Performance Calipers
5. Hawk Ceramic Pads
6. Sprintbooster
7. AFe Pro Dry S Filters
8. CF side mirrors
9. CF Roll Hoops
10. Kivic Airplay Stereo Link
11. LCI Headlights and Side lights
12. Black leather seats with Beige Stitching
13. Xpel Full Clear Wrap
14. M Sport Front Bumper Retrofit

Considering...

1. Eisenmann Race Exhaust
2. FMIC and Oil Cooler

Any other mods I should consider? Open to all suggestions!

Photos are before/after LCI Headlights/Side lights. Vossen to Concept Rims.

Cheers,
Howie
Impressive MOD list.
That machine is a keeper for sure.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Sprintbooster works very well with the Stage 1 LT. It compliments the Linear throttle power delivery but just makes the throttle response more urgent and minimizes the turbo lag significantly. Kinda feels like a NA engine now.
Sorry to keep on this, but as someone who has gone back and forth between the Cobb ST and LT a few times in search of the ultimate throttle map, I am curious. Have you tried the Cobb ST throttle map without the Sprintbooster in your current state of tune? If so, how did that compare to your current setup?

Also, maybe I missed it, you are running a DCT?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #11
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

The Z4 is a keeper for sure. Its got classic proportions with a very sleek design that will keep it looking good for a long time. I plan to keep it for at least the next 5 to 10 years if it remains trouble free.

No worries Rob, I too was looking for the ultimate throttle map for my DCT and have gone back and forth between the Cobb ST (Standard Throttle) and LT (Linear Throttle) maps many times. I installed Sprintbooster later and tested again with all the different maps and finally settled on the Stage 1 LT with the occasional use of Sprintbooster.

The ST throttle with the Bmw stock tune worked fine as it seems the engineers were compensating for the turbo lag by front loading the throttle curve. But once the Cobb tune was installed, it amplified the turbo boost and the ST throttle was just giving too much up front. This caused the "rubber band effect" where the car would surge forward after a slight lag, and unbalancing the car, especially on exiting a tight turn.

The LT throttle allows better control but makes the car feel a bit lazy. Tbh, I didn't like the LT throttle the first time I installed it. It was only after a few spirited drives on some curvy mountain roads that I realized the LT throttle provides better control.

So the conclusion is the ST throttle is better for daily driving for the majority of drivers on normal roads due to the more eager response from the car. The clever Bmw engineers knew that.

The LT throttle map provides more control for track and spirited drives but feels lazy for daily commute. The Sprintbooster compensates for this at the touch of a button without having to flash the ST/LT maps back and forth with the Cobb AP. The best of both worlds really.

Cheers. Howie

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 01-24-2015 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep

Very complete and helpful response. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nicknaz, which tires with the more aggressive compound would you recommend for our Z4? Will look into the downpipes. Will cat delete with the mid pipes do for Cobb Stage 2?.
I'm using dunlop zii. Like them a lot. they do wear quickly and can be sketchy on the highway with standing water even with full tread
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

Thanks nicknaz. Sounds good for the track and dry roads. PSS wear is excellent and performs well in rain so best I stay with it being in rainy climates. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I'm using dunlop zii. Like them a lot. they do wear quickly and can be sketchy on the highway with standing water even with full tread

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 01-27-2015 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #15
MTHuynh23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35i Atacama Yellow

if you get a FMIC..go with EvolutionRacewerks...easy to install as well!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #16
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

The ER Fmic is on top of my future mod list so will look into it when the time comes.

Just drove 750km today and car pulled strong and overtaking was effortless with the Cobb Stage 1 LT Drive tune.

Makes me wonder if I need to go to Stage 2?

Cheers, Howie

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Just drove 750km today and car pulled strong and overtaking was effortless with the Cobb Stage 1 LT Drive tune.
I guess it is a personal choice, but I think if the car isn't trapping the 1/4 mile in the ~120mph range, there is definitely a need for more power
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #18
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

Just completed another car club drive of almost 2k km from Malaysia to Thailand and the Z4 kept up with the big boys admirably. Even the Porsche GT3 guys commented how well the Z4 pulled as I was in front of their convoy. The 1M with the same engine definitely couldn't keep up. The Cobb tune is truly amazing!

The PSS was certainly at their limits with the Cobb Stage 1 LT tune as the traction control kicked in often when used in conjunction with the Sprintbooster. Tire pressure is at 35 psi but will try 30 psi to see if traction improves.

Photo from the sunset drive attached. Cheers. Howie
Attached Images

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 02-11-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The PSS was certainly at their limits with the Cobb Stage 1 LT tune as the traction control kicked in often when used in conjunction with the Sprintbooster. Tire pressure is at 35 psi but will try 30 psi to see if traction improves.
Nice pic, thanks for sharing. Dunlop ZII (stickier tire) in 265mm width gets traction control light at the end of first gear and chirps the shift to 2nd gear (DCT in sport+) as well, so I'm not sure tire pressure will have much impact

which generation of GT3 were you cruising with ?

EDIT: that's a baller set of cars to have anywhere, especially in Thailand/Malaysia! I'm sure I'm stating the obvious but hopefully you guys have your security situation squared away, especially in KL....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

Thanks Nicknaz. I tried 31 psi and it seems a bit better and more planted but it didn't totally eliminate losing traction at wot. Will look up the Dunlop ZII.

The Porsche GT2, GT3 and 911 following the convoy are relatively new but not sure which generation they are. Tbh, they all look the same and I can't tell the difference.

Security is good. Have not had any problems in both Thailand and Malaysia. There's also a support car following the convoy at all times so no worries of mechanical problems too.
Attached Images

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 02-11-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Glad to hear. Friend's father got car jacked for his cayenne turbo in KL. stay safe and post more pics

Just wanted to reiterate. Dunlop ZII requires some care in the rain especially with dsc off or in dtc mode. Great street tire but less void area than PSS
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #22
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

After a lot of experimenting I concluded to 2.6 bar front and 2.9 rear albeit on goodyear asymmetric2. You might also have excessive negative rear camber and spin a lot. And if you are on 19'' as I can't figure that from the foto out consider switching on your next tire change to 225/40/19 and 255/35/19.

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0