New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
lfhunt1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 S35i

Garage List
Belt and Pulley Replacement - WHEN???

Hello - I drive a 2011 Z4 s35i w/17K miles. I do my own maintenance on my cars however, this is my first BMW, so - I want to make sure that I understand how the car needs to be properly cared for.

My questions:

1). Besides the obvious visually cracking, loose, squeaky belt issue(s) - when is a good time a belt and belt tensioner should be replaced for an 8yr old car not driven too often?

2). Is it necessary or recommended to replace BOTH the tensioner and belt at the same time?

(Fyi, this car has the original belt and parts but I would feel better if I kept it up with current parts.)

I would appreciate any mechanical advice you all can offer! Thanks in advance for any feedback/answers.

L Hunt
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhunt1 View Post
Hello - I drive a 2011 Z4 s35i w/17K miles. I do my own maintenance on my cars however, this is my first BMW, so - I want to make sure that I understand how the car needs to be properly cared for.

My questions:

1). Besides the obvious visually cracking, loose, squeaky belt issue(s) - when is a good time a belt and belt tensioner should be replaced for an 8yr old car not driven too often?

2). Is it necessary or recommended to replace BOTH the tensioner and belt at the same time?

(Fyi, this car has the original belt and parts but I would feel better if I kept it up with current parts.)

I would appreciate any mechanical advice you all can offer! Thanks in advance for any feedback/answers.

L Hunt
After 8 years - replace the belt, tensioner and the other pullies

This is what happens with all the N54 engines - when the belt breaks, the belt can wrap around the main crank pulley. When this happens, it can wrap so tightly it gets pushed through the main seal, then into the engine where is shreds into bits and can be very costly to repair.

These engines will also leak at the oil filter housing gasket, which can contaminate the belt requiring a replacement for that

The valve cover gasket will also leak along with the oil pan gasket.

Check carefully around the pump for the top and make sure there is no moisture (from water getting into the trunk)
Appreciate 0