New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

08-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Solutions to Off Topic posts

Admins/Moderators:

Problems with Off Topic Posts
  • Cluttered General E9x Talk section
  • Increased work load for admins
  • Many topics flagged as "Moved" to be seen
  • Defeats the purpose of having sub-forums

Cause of Off topic problem
  • Thread openers chooses the "General E9x Talk" section to seek maximum attention
  • Other sub-forums do not attract adequate viewers.

Solution
  • Increase viewers to other sub-forums to discourage thread openers from posting in "General E9x Talk" section in hope to seek more attention.
  • Creating a customable page for each user such that topics that are generally of interest to a reader are always seen and not "hidden" from sub-forums that are not visited as often
  • Ex. A user may choose to display all posts from the general forum and also all posts from the detailing forum in the customable page every time he/she visits the forum

Benefits
  • Reduces work load for admins
  • Tailor made page for each user to display all topics of interest
  • Topics of interest to a user will not be left unseen when a thread is posted in a sub-forum
  • Discourages users from posting in general E9x talk section to seek more attention
  • An much improved version of the "New Post" link that already exist
  • Posts from other Bimmerpost.com forums can be seen in once place. i.e. M3post.com topics can also be seen by the user if desired.

Limitations
  • Difficulty of implementation
  • Uncertainty in forum users acceptance to this new feature
  • Will not eliminate all off topic posts
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

someones been to a technical writing class before
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
someones been to a technical writing class before
and this was their homework assignment
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
wouldn't be surprised
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Very interesting suggestion. I'm not sure if this is technically possible with the software, but I will look into trying it out because I do think its an excellent idea! I'm not sure if that will aleviate off-topic posts, but it is still a great concept anyways. I will keep in touch with you

Mark
      08-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Some users (e.g., myself) select the New Posts option in the NavBar above, which selects the most recent posts from all the subforums, not just from E90Post.com, but from M3Post, ZPost, etc. There are enough members who peruse the forums in this manner so new threads are not usually missed.

vBadvanced Dynamics is a relatively new option for vBulletin that I'm sure Mark knows about. It is designed "...with versatility in mind, vBadvanced Dynamics is a highly configurable, multi-purpose product that can be used to catalog and display a database of just about anything*. From articles, file sharing, user blogs, a simple categorized list of recipes, and just about everything in between. Features include an advanced module system, unlimited categories, attachment uploads, ratings, custom fields, over 50 usergroup permissions, user favorites, e-mail subscriptions, SEO friendly URLs, and much more with over 225 configuration settings. Have more than one use in mind? It's optional and unique "Multiple Instance" licensing option makes it easy to install multiple copies on the same web site that are completely independent from one another."
      08-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post
Some users (e.g., myself) select the New Posts option in the NavBar above, which selects the most recent posts from all the subforums, not just from E90Post.com, but from M3Post, ZPost, etc. There are enough members who peruse the forums in this manner so new threads are not usually missed.

vBadvanced Dynamics is a relatively new option for vBulletin that I'm sure Mark knows about. It is designed "...with versatility in mind, vBadvanced Dynamics is a highly configurable, multi-purpose product that can be used to catalog and display a database of just about anything*. From articles, file sharing, user blogs, a simple categorized list of recipes, and just about everything in between. Features include an advanced module system, unlimited categories, attachment uploads, ratings, custom fields, over 50 usergroup permissions, user favorites, e-mail subscriptions, SEO friendly URLs, and much more with over 225 configuration settings. Have more than one use in mind? It's optional and unique "Multiple Instance" licensing option makes it easy to install multiple copies on the same web site that are completely independent from one another."
I didn't know about the dynamics addon, I will look into that, but I personally hate vbadvanced more then anything, but maybee I can try that out as a basis for this idea if its a product that is separate from the base vbadvanced. Thanks for the heads up man
      08-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

lol@the 'assignment' comments. Yes, in fact I did take a technical writing before in school but I don't recall them teaching anything like this before.

Just in case you are interested, I did it in this structure because I found my original version that I was writing was rather unorganized and repetitive at times so I read it over once and deleted all the extra stuff and added a bullet to each point.
Appreciate 0