New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-05-2023, 07:45 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

How to repaint/fix this...?

Please excuse the nasty condition, but this is my baseboard heater in the washroom. Unfortunately, 'someone' keeps splashing water on it and it now turned into something that was recovered from a shipwreck lol.

My question is how can I go about repainting it, sand it off first (and if so how deep) before painting? Tia.
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Wire brush (cup brush on a drill).
POR 15
crinkle finish spray paint.

It won't look new, but I think chem-stripping it to bare metal is going to be more trouble than it is worth. Use cardboard to protect the adjacent wall. Sometimes these metal housings come off easily, so buying a new one might be worth looking into - if you need to replace/dismount the whole heating unit it will probably cost too much.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2023, 09:17 AM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Yeah. Wire wheel on a drill or grinder, clean up all the loose paint. Use POR15 to effectively cover it in epoxy and make it water proof, then spray with some "Appliance" spray paint.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2023, 10:24 AM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Tx guys. Is there like a small size for POR15 or similar? I really don't wanna spend any $ on this crazy thing. I got some steel wool lying around somewhere and protective eyewear. Sigh, gonna be a pita, can't believe the thing is basically completely rusted.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #5
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

The possibly cheaper fix is wire brush, Rustoleom primer (for rusted metal), color coat and add some coats of clear for extra protection.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2023, 12:34 PM   #6
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Skip the wire brush.

Naval Jelly is what you're after. Chemical strip and rust converter. Then POR.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2023, 12:52 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Tx again. Ok, I really don't wanna buy anything extra, so if you can point to any household items, that would be awesome. I hate that thing because I don't even use it at all but now I gotta fix it because everytime I enter the washroom it's staring at my face and it's so nasty!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 05:30 PM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Skip all of the above, and just buy a new radiator cover. Same effort, but it'll look like new because it is new.....
OtoPA376.00
Buug95917117.00
      06-05-2023, 07:25 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Skip all of the above, and just buy a new radiator cover. Same effort, but it'll look like new because it is new.....
I don't mind some elbow grease and I already got the paint and wire brush, I don't want spend $ on that lousy thing.

How much would it cost, because it's the WHOLE outside as it's all rusted, so I doubt it's gonna be worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 04:48 PM   #10
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Is it electric? A brand new electric baseboard heater is only $50 at Home Cheapo and there's probably 3 screws and 2 wire nuts to change it.
      06-06-2023, 06:30 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
Is it electric? A brand new electric baseboard heater is only $50 at Home Cheapo and there's probably 3 screws and 2 wire nuts to change it.
Tx, I don't even wanna spend that. I'd sooner just remove the thing, it sucks, they should've made it water-resistant, being in the washroom and all.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917117.00