New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #727
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
Obviously not driven a newer Tesla S or X, huh?
Comparing a base $30k 1LT Equinox EV interior to a Model S or X? I would put up a Cadillac Lyriq interior all day against a Model S or X. Blows them away actually. I own a Model 3, honestly nothing special besides the front seats are comfortable. Tesla's are simple minimalist interiors, with ok build quality. Nothing to brag about.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 11:19 PM   #728
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Comparing a base $30k 1LT Equinox EV interior to a Model S or X? I would put up a Cadillac Lyriq interior all day against a Model S or X. Blows them away actually. I own a Model 3, honestly nothing special besides the front seats are comfortable. Tesla's are simple minimalist interiors, with ok build quality. Nothing to brag about.
So does having more flippy-switches make an interior nicer?
      11-08-2022, 05:58 AM   #729
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:

He didn’t bring up the equinox, someone else did. A car maker with DECADES of innovation, improvements and design changes.

Tesla is a car maker that rolled its first car 10 years ago.

Like you said they are about simplicity. Had Elon wanted to dress the interior like the rest of the car makers, it would lose their identity.

They are ev’s that work. And that big ass screen is all you need and you know that since you have a model 3.

I don’t even try to look at my gauge cluster anymore when driving my other cars because I’m used to not needing to look at it besides wanting to see my speed which is displayed right there on the left side of that big ass screen.
      11-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #730
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Inconvenient Facts about EVs
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58907.50
      11-08-2022, 07:52 AM   #731
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

There are so many things wrong with EVs right now that almost no one is willing to accept-

1) Supply Chain - there is fierce competition for raw materials right now... I work in a few competing industries. There is consistent glass shortages because everyone wants nickel - recent uptick in EVs has greatly brought up demand. We actually don't have the ability to safely mine lithium in a way that would even get us up to 25-30% of current ICE car usage.

2) Infrastructure - Currently 1% of US registered cars are EVs... can anyone imagine how overloaded the grid will be if we reach just 10%?

3) Power Supply - Only 18% of US power plants are nuclear... the rest, well you guessed it Natural Gas and Coal...outside of a tiny fraction that is solar / hydro... yea let's how that translates to efficiency for EVs.

4) Raw Materials - the disposal and mining of EV batteries is insanely caustic... and let's not talk about the ethics of mining some of these materials.

These are inconvenient truths that are some are not willing to accept.
      11-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #732
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Need to compare all Scope 1-3 emissions, this is rarely done.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      11-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #733
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Elon put a fart generator in the Model 3. The fart noise can be synthesized at any seat location.

I need to say nothing more...

Tesla interior - LOL. Loose their identity? ROFL.
You can say what you want about the quality or what not, but they are definitely unique. I'm sure there are people that like the super minimalistic design, just like people like super minimalistic modern furniture. If you are one of those people you don't have many options. I don't know of any other vehicle that has an interior like a Tesla. Again like it or hate it is is unique and easily identifiable.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the simplistic Tesla interior, but it's also not enough to put me off from owning one.
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
chris7197273.00
      11-08-2022, 12:20 PM   #734
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
Elon put a fart generator in the Model 3. The fart noise can be synthesized at any seat location.

I need to say nothing more...

Tesla interior - LOL. Loose their identity? ROFL.
You can say what you want about the quality or what not, but they are definitely unique. I'm sure there are people that like the super minimalistic design, just like people like super minimalistic modern furniture. If you are one of those people you don't have many options. I don't know of any other vehicle that has an interior like a Tesla. Again like it or hate it is is unique and easily identifiable.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the simplistic Tesla interior, but it's also not enough to put me off from owning one.
When Volvo "rebranded" several years ago they did it much better, imo. Tesla masks poor materials and ergonomic engineering behind the guise of "minimalism".
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 12:54 PM   #735
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
When Volvo "rebranded" several years ago they did it much better, imo. Tesla masks poor materials and ergonomic engineering behind the guise of "minimalism".
I have not seen any Volvo that's as minimalistic as a Model 3 or Y. Again, you may not like it, but you can't say it's not unique.

I prefer more "stuff" in my interiors, however nothing in the limited interior in my Model 3 is IMO of poor quality. None of the materials are cheap feeling, no hard plastics and I personally really like their pleather. My only other experience with pleather was the total junk BMW was putting on some of their lower end models like the 1 series and some of the Z4s. Man that stuff was HORRIBLE! Now this is probably like 10 years ago so they might have improved since then.

The cars is also very comfortable. I have no issues with the ergonomic. The only thing I notice when I have not been in it for a long time is the seating position. It's not as deep as a normal car due to the batteries taking up floor space, but even on long trips it's not uncomfortable.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      11-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #736
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Come on man, it's cost-cutting out the Wazoo.

Somehow Tesla got categorized as a premium luxury vehicle because the Model S cost $100K (avg. transaction price) when it hit the market and it used Benz parts bin control hardware. The S interior was nowhere near a $100K interior. The (cough-cough) "$35K" Model 3 got 400,000 pre-order production slots BEFORE any details of the interior were released. Tesla could have made the interior out of recycled 1960's naugahide and a single 8" screen and the tech nerds still would have sucked it up; though lots of reservists backed out when the original price was $50K.

The Chevy Bolt WAS a $35K EV and was chastised by all the mags about how bad the interior sucked, because it had... a $35K EV interior, where all the cost was in the EV drivetrain. Lol.
Again. I didn't say you had to like it and I'm certain it's 100% a cost cutting measure. However as you said yourself above, certain people love it and you cannot find it anywhere else.

At the end of the day it's marketing. The bolt looked like a chevy inside. The Tesla looked like nothing else. For better or worse the Tesla was different.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:05 PM   #737
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It’s funny when people talk shit about a company that does better and better each year lol

Ford laughed at their ass when they first rolled out. Now everyone is playing catch up. Their Mach e is a fucking joke compared to what Tesla has to offer for that price point.

Car makers will catch up I’m sure.
      11-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #738
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Just found out that there is no leather interior option on all Tesla's..apart from the steering wheel.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #739
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really my point is Tesla just gets a pass from the Automotive Press and the Feds. The Model 3 was 20 months late and came out of the chute at $50K vs. $35K. The Chevy Bolt was announced after the Model 3 and was in full-rate production and offered for retail sale before the Model 3 was. Tesla had to erect tents around NUMMI production plant to half-ass assemble units. The Model X was 2 years late. Tesla never got any bad press over it.

The Govenment lets Tesla Alpha test its autonomous driving on public streets. As an owner you are Beta testing their systems. No other legacy car manufacturer would get that luxury. That's billions in test dollars saved.
Don't really follow car news, but yes Tesla and Elon are full of shit with a LOT of what they do. IMO full self driving is a total scam, it's like the biggest gofundme scam ever. Pretty much everything they announce will either not happen or will not happen anywhere near close to the time promised. The guy is a total vaporware salesman. Look at the hyper loop crap. It's just a tunnel with cars in it driven by people, slowly. Look at the solar roofs... or better yet don't look at them because it never really happened.

But with all that being said. I still like my Model 3 and would probably still choose it over the other EV options available. Will that be the case in another few years? Who knows, hopefully not. You also have to give him credit for making EVs "cool". I'm sorry, but no one though priuses were ever cool. For all the bs he has done he did IMO popularize EVs and made all these other manufacturers try to catch up. However I believe they are catching up and Tesla will have to up it's game to stay relevant.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #740
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
So does having more flippy-switches make an interior nicer?
My post had nothing do with flippy switches. Have you sat in a new Lyriq? My local dealer had event couple weeks ago. Less about layout and more about materials, build quality, screen quality(OLED). One of the nicest GM cars I have sat in recently. It just felt like a nicer place to spend time in, than my Model 3 or any other Tesla I have been in.

Last edited by M3WC; 11-08-2022 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #741
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Polestar are pretty close. Very minimalist design. They even kinda copied the long hvac vent.

Last edited by M3WC; 11-08-2022 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #742
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Agree 100%. Elon made EVs cool. The actual driveline tech was there before he invested in Tesla and eventually took it over by overseeing Model S development. He is great at social media. Can't wait to see how he disrupts Big Tech and changes that industry.
Their first car, the Tesla Roadster actually looked normal inside and out.... I saw one in person a few times down the 401. Too bad they didn't keep those up.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:04 PM   #743
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Polestar are pretty close. Very minimalist design.

I personally like this more than the Tesla interior, but do people know about Polestar? Can you buy them? I've heard of them, but I probably know more about cars than most none car people and I'm not sure I have ever seen one in the wild.

This reminds me of something else unique to Tesla. There's no dealer bs. You just go online and buy whatever you want. My current Model 3 I bought new and I will say it was almost too easy. Everything was done online. Even on pickup day I probably did not need to speak with anyone. I did talk to the guy at the delivery center because I wasn't sure, but he was like yeah just open the app, check in and in a few seconds it was connected to the car and I could just get in and leave. Now that may be a negative for some people who want that human interaction, but for a hermit like me it's fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #744
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I personally like this more than the Tesla interior, but do people know about Polestar? Can you buy them? I've heard of them, but I probably know more about cars than most none car people and I'm not sure I have ever seen one in the wild.

This reminds me of something else unique to Tesla. There's no dealer bs. You just go online and buy whatever you want. My current Model 3 I bought new and I will say it was almost too easy. Everything was done online. Even on pickup day I probably did not need to speak with anyone. I did talk to the guy at the delivery center because I wasn't sure, but he was like yeah just open the app, check in and in a few seconds it was connected to the car and I could just get in and leave. Now that may be a negative for some people who want that human interaction, but for a hermit like me it's fantastic!
Same with Polestar, all online. You customize your build, order, and then do either home delivery or Polestar delivery center.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #745
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Getting a Tesla was the easiest car transaction I ever done.

It’s like picking up a food order.

I hope this is the future of car buying.
      11-08-2022, 03:35 PM   #746
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Just found out that there is no leather interior option on all Tesla's..apart from the steering wheel.
Frankly, with the quality of most automotive leather, there is no practical difference between synthetic material and what passes for acceptable natural leather in cars. Even when you have good leather like BMW's Merino, it wears like shit. The bolsters of any M car look horrible after a couple of years compared to the cheaper stuff.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      11-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #747
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Agree 100%. Elon made EVs cool. The actual driveline tech was there before he invested in Tesla and eventually took it over by overseeing Model S development. He is great at social media. Can't wait to see how he disrupts Big Tech and changes that industry.
If you mean disrupt as in buying a sinking ship and running it aground even faster, then yes it will be entertaining .
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #748
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The dude can make rocket motor stages reenter the atmosphere and land. Big Tech is piece of cake.
You mean he can hire people who can hire people that can do that . Semiconductor physics is actually much harder than rocketry anyway. I guess that's not "Big Tech" anyway as you intended but still. Elon is just a money man though, a damn good one.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50