New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

09-09-2022, 10:50 AM   #111
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Williams no, it would be too long before Porsche would get any success they would want. McLaren maybe but that would mean two OEM/manufacturers which probably would be a no go.

This would apply go Porsche/Audi but you'd figure under the same parent company, there could be some compromise and everyone wins - VW, Audi, Porsche could all look like superstars while potentially sticking it to Mercedes while having operations solely on German soil.
They have a really weird structure there. Porsche does their own thing for the most part.

Porsche Holding owns VAG at %53 (or something like that)
VAG owns Porsche and Audi

I don't ever recall them joining forces in other racing series (maybe they have but I don't think so).
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58882.50
      09-09-2022, 11:25 PM   #112
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

I really don’t get Horners comments on why the talks failed. Or I don’t get why Porsche and RB were talking at all if Horner’s comments are accurate. If they are moving ahead with their own factory/engine development regardless of what happened with Porsche, then why look to partner with them in the first place? Especially his comments about RB F1 being the biggest marketing tool for Red Bull. Did they not think they’d have to re do their entire livery with a prominent Porsche logo theme along with RB? A lot of really odd things going on and it didn’t seem like the best matchup for this to work out from the very beginning.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8136.50
      09-10-2022, 12:50 PM   #113
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I really don’t get Horners comments on why the talks failed. Or I don’t get why Porsche and RB were talking at all if Horner’s comments are accurate. If they are moving ahead with their own factory/engine development regardless of what happened with Porsche, then why look to partner with them in the first place? Especially his comments about RB F1 being the biggest marketing tool for Red Bull. Did they not think they’d have to re do their entire livery with a prominent Porsche logo theme along with RB? A lot of really odd things going on and it didn’t seem like the best matchup for this to work out from the very beginning.
They probably can't get into the knitty and gritty of it but all we know so far is there would be a power struggle. Some speculation about the way Porsche runs their other teams and how they'd try to influence RB to work that way, at least the PU department, and RB refuses to.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58882.50
      09-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #114
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It made sense in that Red Bull still needed a PU for 2026 and with Porsche already tinkering with engines using alternative fuels. Red Bull would have some advantage with partnering with Porsche.

What didn't make sense was the reported 50/50 share of Red Bull Powertrains. Red Bull was already planning on going ahead with their own R&D and life after Honda so why would they give up 50% of that operation they worked hard to get even if it was Porsche? If Red Bull was a mid-tier, sure, but they're at the top of F1. But Red Bull was likely willing to give that up, but they were likely not interested in giving a Porsche any more outside of the Powertrains operation.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 04:38 PM   #115
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I partially am glad Porsche didn't go through with it.

Did kinda start following F1 this year, mainly because of the chance that Porsche may join F1. I knew it was going to be a fat chance that BMW ever did so again. As I learned a bit more about F1 and all of that, I also grew to despise how toxic the F1 fans are and I come from the gaming community, we're known to be entitled. F1 fans are worse. Every week, almost EVERY week this year from what I can tell, is someone throwing up another theory on why this happened and all of that. It is already so tiring to see that I stopped paying attention already.

I don't think Porsche needs that kind of attention, nor do they really require it. I have seen some say F1 doesn't need Porsche but it is very much the other way around. F1 feels so stagnant to me and my casual eyes that not having more OEMs join is a detriment to them and not to anyone else. Think about it, do you think Benz needs F1? Benz & Honda are such big companies this is just a playground for them. Audi joining is a good thing but Audi doesn't have the following Porsche does. Audi is pretty much VW's forgotten middle child.

F1 needs more than Audi. Maybe if Honda returns, which they seems to be going back and forth on. Andretti as well if the "elites" of F1 stop being a bunch of idiots with rich kids syndrome.

That said though Porsche was definitely asking for a bit much from RBR. That doesn't really surprise me though considering it is Porsche and they always do things their way. It just... comes with the territory and being associated with Porsche.
      09-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #116
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Would be sick if they announce Honda at Suzuka with the gorgeous white Honda livery.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58882.50
      09-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #117
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Would be sick if they announce Honda at Suzuka with the gorgeous white Honda livery.
It is great pleasure for Honda to be named as the title sponsor of the F1 Japanese Grand Prix to be held at the Suzuka Circuit which is celebrating its '60th anniversary this year,” said Honda communications operating executive Koji Watanabe.

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
NYG10571.50
M5Rick58882.50
      09-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #118
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Horner now saying deal was never on and Porsche were chasing rainbows.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/13665...hemselves.html
Appreciate 2
NYG10571.50
      09-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #119
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Helmut Marko claims that Red Bull is already attracting interest from manufacturers after the Porsche partnership came to an end ❌
Appreciate 2
NYG10571.50
      10-26-2022, 08:05 AM   #120
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
AUDI and F1

https://amp.formula1.com/en/latest/a...CXdCR9xJl.html

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #121
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It's official boys,

Audi will be a works team in 2026, partnering with Sauber

Now for confirmation of Porsche Williams.
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #122
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
It's official boys,

Audi will be a works team in 2026, partnering with Sauber

Now for confirmation of Porsche Williams.
Man, the Williams team is really going through it these last couple of years.

If this ends up happening, Porsche is likely going to ask for a large chunk like they did with Red Bull and will probably be in better position to do so because of what brand power they bring especially to a team like Williams which are always finding ways to survive.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      10-28-2022, 01:38 PM   #123
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Audi already has a head start with the 2026 engine. Essentially just bought/took over Sauber. Some parallels to a certain team.
Appreciate 2
NYG10571.50
      11-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #124
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Audi already has a head start with the 2026 engine. Essentially just bought/took over Sauber. Some parallels to a certain team.
At least Audi can rest easy knowing that no one will remember - just like with Merc.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58882.50
      10-17-2023, 10:58 PM   #125
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Update - wild rumor:

"F1 Rumour: Porsche To Take Over Audi Formula One Entry":
https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/...-one-entry-sj4

"Audi pulls plug on F1 project: Porsche as possible successor"
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/24333...successor.html

"Addressing the Audi F1 pull-out rumours":
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...l-out-rumours/

"Audi respond to rumours of shock decision over F1 2026 entry":
https://www.planetf1.com/news/audi-r...-entry-rumours

"Audi unconvincing denial they are abandoning F1 project":
https://thejudge13.com/2023/10/07/de...on-f1-project/
"Reliable sources say Audi out
The source added that Audi’s preparations to develop the new engine “remains unchanged”, although the brevity of the statement will raise eyebrows in the F1 paddock.
The report from LeMans radio claimed there will be a decision to cancel the F1 project at the upcoming board meeting of VW this month. Radio Le Mans has proven over the years not to spread rumours or gossip and so this broadcast claiming certain proper sources in the know is almost certain to be true.
If true, this is devastating news for the FIA who have been courting both Audi and Porsche for almost a decade to join the sport as OEM manufactures following the mid 2000’s where the likes of Honda and Toyota were bailing on their F1 commitments."

10-18-2023, 02:00 AM   #126
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Update - wild rumor:

"Audi unconvincing denial they are abandoning F1 project":
https://thejudge13.com/2023/10/07/de...on-f1-project/
"Reliable sources say Audi out
The source added that Audi’s preparations to develop the new engine “remains unchanged”, although the brevity of the statement will raise eyebrows in the F1 paddock.
The report from LeMans radio claimed there will be a decision to cancel the F1 project at the upcoming board meeting of VW this month. Radio Le Mans has proven over the years not to spread rumours or gossip and so this broadcast claiming certain proper sources in the know is almost certain to be true.
If true, this is devastating news for the FIA who have been courting both Audi and Porsche for almost a decade to join the sport as OEM manufactures following the mid 2000’s where the likes of Honda and Toyota were bailing on their F1 commitments."
Somehow in the back of my mind I knew this wouldn't roll all the way with Audi and they are getting cold feet looking at Toyota's F1 demise.
Porsche losing out to RBR will probably just take over this Audi project with ease.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 04:32 PM   #127
dfox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Man, these media outlets really get anxious for clicks between races.
Appreciate 0