New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #2839
toque para
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:45 PM   #2840
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but how exactly are private platforms with their own terms of use shutting down free speech? My understanding of free speech under the 1st amendment is that it is protected from government censorship. Private companies and platforms don't fall under that protection, and therefore can censor whatever they want, usually stating their terms of service or use were violated.

I imagine this type of "non-traditional" free speech would need new regulation to truly become protected free speech. Ironically, this reminds me of when Net Neutrality was in place. Some people wanted net neutrality removed because they deride what they consider unnecessary regulation. Part of net neutrality protected against censorship, and if I understand it correctly, would have potentially protected this type of speech online. The ironic part is, the people who wanted less regulation got what they asked for, yet are upset when non-protected speech is censored because there isn't regulation to protect it.
True on the free speech issue so I expect you'll expound on the terms and conditions of the brokerage agreement all these RH users agreed to while opening their accounts and how that makes their complaints about limiting trading or liquidating positions baseless as well. After all it is a private platform and they agreed to the terms... And brokerage agreements are not subject net neutrality rules.

And as for the assumption above, that may or not be true but how about we research it to see if it's true or not. I don't know either but let's not just assume... Would net neutrality really have prevented these private platforms from deciding what can be discussed based on terms and conditions? I honestly don't know but perhaps someone with more knowledge could speak up.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #2841
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
True on the free speech issue so I expect you'll expound on the terms and conditions of the brokerage agreement all these RH users agreed to while opening their accounts and how that makes their complaints about limiting trading or liquidating positions baseless as well. After all it is a private platform and they agreed to the terms... And brokerage agreements are not subject net neutrality rules.

And as for the assumption above, that may or not be true but how about we research it to see if it's true or not. I don't know either but let's not just assume... Would net neutrality really have prevented these private platforms from deciding what can be discussed based on terms and conditions? I honestly don't know but perhaps someone with more knowledge could speak up.
Net neutrality only deals with the ability of ISPs to give preferential bandwidth to certain sites while limiting speeds to others. ie: If Comcast teams up with Disney to give more speed to Disney+ streams while slowing down Netflix. It has nothing to do with censorship or platform terms & conditions, or local monopolies - those are entirely different issues.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      02-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #2842
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Net neutrality only deals with the ability of ISPs to give preferential bandwidth to certain sites while limiting speeds to others. ie: If Comcast teams up with Disney to give more speed to Disney+ streams while slowing down Netflix. It has nothing to do with censorship or platform terms & conditions, or local monopolies - those are entirely different issues.

While your example of preferential bandwidth is correct, net neutrality absolutely does involve censorship. Using your example, Comcast could actually block traffic to Netflix if it wanted, and state that they only allow access to their own streaming services or partners. One of the purposes of net neutrality was to protect against this form of censorship.

Last edited by JasonCSU; 02-04-2021 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:32 PM   #2843
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post

In the case of the Robin Hood trading app, I imagine their terms and conditions allow moderating of the comment section of the app. Their recent outright restrictions on trading particular stocks like GameStop and AMC is a whole other issue, one I assume the SEC and FINRA won't be very thrilled with. I certainly don't agree with RH restricting trading.

After reading up on some more net neutrality details, it doesn't look like online speech in this regard would fall under the censorship that it aims to protect. The censorship it does protect against is the outright blocking of network traffic, meaning all content online should be accessible and not restricted by ISPs or other authorities.
      02-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #2844
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
In the case of the Robin Hood trading app, I imagine their terms and conditions allow moderating of the comment section of the app. Their recent outright restrictions on trading particular stocks like GameStop and AMC is a whole other issue, one I assume the SEC and FINRA won't be very thrilled with. I certainly don't agree with RH restricting trading.

After reading up on some more net neutrality details, it doesn't look like online speech in this regard would fall under the censorship that it aims to protect. The censorship it does protect against is the outright blocking of network traffic, meaning all content online should be accessible and not restricted by ISPs or other authorities.
The issue becomes pay-to-play. They can simply say "well we're not ACTUALLY blocking it if we charge an extra $5 / month to stream HD content for large bandwidth users. After all, supporting all this infrastructure isn't free." They then throttle / lag / degrade the quality of experience for anyone NOT paying that, while technically it's still offered, it's utterly worthless / useless. Then your only option becomes paying.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #2845
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Contract say they can block or restrict trades at any time. Pretty standard language for any broker-dealer... so just like the free speech discussion users have agreed to this and we all do with every brokerage account/firm. Have we all really read the full contract/terms and conditions of use or do we just sign or in Robinhood's case just click "yes, I agree".
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      02-06-2021, 12:59 AM   #2846
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Covered calls on GME
Appreciate 1
F82SO231.50
      02-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #2847
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
Covered calls on GME
It's tempting to wheel GME for a bit till it pops again, problem is knowing when it'll pop - the premiums skyrocket and there's so much variance I'm just sitting on it for now.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #2848
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
It's tempting to wheel GME for a bit till it pops again, problem is knowing when it'll pop - the premiums skyrocket and there's so much variance I'm just sitting on it for now.
I am thinking that a valid trading strategy for GME is to buy it just before close every day, and sell it right after open the next day. Pre-market trading seems to keep raising the opening price, and it falls back to a flat lower price for the rest of the day.....
      02-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #2849
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I am thinking that a valid trading strategy for GME is to buy it just before close every day, and sell it right after open the next day. Pre-market trading seems to keep raising the opening price, and it falls back to a flat lower price for the rest of the day.....
Not a bad plan if you don't care about the hold / spike / whatever.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #2850
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
With no trading fees or commissions, it looks like a free $10-$15 every day thanks to what appears to be someone pumping the pre-market price to make the GME price fall look even larger a few minutes after the market opens.....
      02-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #2851
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

my daughter has a project at school to "buy" 100k in 5 stocks.... the virtual cash out is in may. So far she has lululemon lol. any ideas for a possible gain for may? it's not real money so let the crazy ideas fly
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #2852
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
GME
      02-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #2853
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Yeah, let her start growing some “Diamond hands” with GME 😉

I would ask her what brands and things she/her fellow friends are into and look into those. Reality is that typical “growth stocks” won’t give her the return in such a short time (May cash out) so probably will want to play some of it in volatile stocks that have a chance for great short returns. I guess it depends on what the teaching moment is being given.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #2854
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 X40i M Sport

Bitcoin
Appreciate 1
kb2wji186.50
      02-19-2021, 07:43 PM   #2855
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
my daughter has a project at school to "buy" 100k in 5 stocks.... the virtual cash out is in may. So far she has lululemon lol. any ideas for a possible gain for may? it's not real money so let the crazy ideas fly
PLTR
VSTO
GME
AAPL
MSFT
VTG
VIG
VOO
SPYG
ARKK

Buy those 10 and forget about them. Can she cash out portions along the way to "grow" it? Like, if GME spikes to $500 again, can she cash out, then when it drops to $50 again buy back in? Does that count? Or is this a one time set-it-and-forget-it $100k?

If it's one time set and forget, scratch GME and VSTO off the list.

If she can rebalance / play with it, keep an eye on GME and VSTO and play the swings.

For those wondering WTF with VSTO....ammunition + ammunition supplies. They're covering some of the only (and main) suppliers of firearm ammunition in the US.

List of firearm supply companies in VSTO :

Alliant Powder
American Eagle
Blackhawk!
Blazer Ammunition
Butler Creek
CCI
Champion
Eagle Industries
Estate Cartridge
Federal Premium
Force on Force
Gunmate
Gunslick Pro
Hoppe's 9
Independence Ammo
M-Pro 7
Outers
RCBS
Remington
Speer Ammo
Speer Bullets
Uncle Mike's
Appreciate 1
kb2wji186.50
      02-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #2856
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
PLTR
VSTO
GME
AAPL
MSFT
VTG
VIG
VOO
SPYG
ARKK

Buy those 10 and forget about them. Can she cash out portions along the way to "grow" it? Like, if GME spikes to $500 again, can she cash out, then when it drops to $50 again buy back in? Does that count? Or is this a one time set-it-and-forget-it $100k?

If it's one time set and forget, scratch GME and VSTO off the list.

If she can rebalance / play with it, keep an eye on GME and VSTO and play the swings.

For those wondering WTF with VSTO....ammunition + ammunition supplies. They're covering some of the only (and main) suppliers of firearm ammunition in the US.

List of firearm supply companies in VSTO :

Alliant Powder
American Eagle
Blackhawk!
Blazer Ammunition
Butler Creek
CCI
Champion
Eagle Industries
Estate Cartridge
Federal Premium
Force on Force
Gunmate
Gunslick Pro
Hoppe's 9
Independence Ammo
M-Pro 7
Outers
RCBS
Remington
Speer Ammo
Speer Bullets
Uncle Mike's
thanks!! The project is simply to buy, hold till May and sell. Winner is whoever profited the most. I'm going to check them out with her, thanks again for the input
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #2857
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

PLUG
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #2858
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
PLUG
Down 13% today.
      02-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #2859
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Down 13% today.
Big bummer. But SDGR was up 7%
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #2860
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
AABB up 73% today. Gold based bitcoin announced last week. Sold some that I bought at $0.36, but kept some in for that $1 Hail Mary. My bitcoin is up 41% after a crazy weekend.

I was ready for CEI to pop, but their merger is under investigation. Hoping it goes through and I can get at least 20% roi.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0