New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-18-2022, 09:02 AM   #111
gs6456
Electric!
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 i4 M50  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
BINGO! But the anti-EVer's will continue to spew out things like this as gospel
Yeah. This is why I hate it when an EV post hits the main page.
Appreciate 1
M3 boi3211.00
      08-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #112
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

When y'all are through with the double reach-arounds, consider that EV demand has little to do with actual care for the environment or social consciousness and way more to do with ego and being seen as having those traits. That Southpark episode nailed it. Not really a demographic with which I want to be associated... unable to think for myself and just throwing money at anything to strengthen the echo chamber that tells me how great, special, and unique I am.
Appreciate 3
      08-18-2022, 09:38 AM   #113
azuki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

if theres one thing i can't get enough of are the electric drive sound. so futuristic and awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:34 AM   #114
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Maybe they will first release like an i8 full electric "super M" car even before the M3/M4 to showcase the performance and technology?

Still to me from a driving passion way of looking at things, electric cars don't appeal to me due to no gears, no sound, and heavy weight. Maybe they are a good solution for commuting in cities but not for driving fans that want emotion and feeling...

Hopefully Porsche and F1 can bring a solution with the eco fuels, maybe the future is hybrid with eco fuels, or something completely different to electric only.
TargaM22489.00
      08-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #115
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

I'm all onboard for an M-EV and here's why I think so:
-Torque!!
-you will get the advantages of low CG
-alot more space to improve suspension geometry (esp in the front)
-4 motors driving wheels gives infinite options for driving dynamics
-reproducing engine sound in the cabin/exterior is a trivial thing with transducers and resonance chambers. I bet you'll be able to choose from
any legacy M-car sound at the push of a button
-better infotainment features
-more space in the cabin/trunks
-reliability will go up big time (low maintenance, just software updates and
brake pad/tire changes)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #116
Alpine Wait
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I'm all onboard for an M-EV and here's why I think so:
-Torque!!
-you will get the advantages of low CG
-alot more space to improve suspension geometry (esp in the front)
-4 motors driving wheels gives infinite options for driving dynamics
-reproducing engine sound in the cabin/exterior is a trivial thing with transducers and resonance chambers. I bet you'll be able to choose from
any legacy M-car sound at the push of a button
-better infotainment features
-more space in the cabin/trunks
-reliability will go up big time (low maintenance, just software updates and
brake pad/tire changes)
A few other quality-of-life improvements we should expect:

1. Ability to cool/heat the cabin remotely, without starting up an ICE.
2. Much cheaper fueling costs via electricity, think 1/5th to 1/2 to what you pay in gas.
3. Maintenance - you mentioned, but it's actually better than what you hinted. Cheaper overall cost of ownership (because less to do), less time spent at a dealer, even less brake pad replacements due to re-gen braking, so basically just tires and cabin air filters is all you need.
4. Single-gear transmission means a more direct, more comfortable driving experience for driver + passengers.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #117
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Wait View Post
A few other quality-of-life improvements we should expect:

2. Much cheaper fueling costs via electricity, think 1/5th to 1/2 to what you pay in gas.
I do wonder about this one. The US grid has issues handling the load today during the winter and summer high points. I imagine when EVs become more commonplace they will place a significant load on the grid. More demand can also mean more $$$. How else are you going to charge your car and get around (the mentality of the oil/gas companies today...can charge whatever, really)? Unless infinite nuclear power or some other technology comes about, I'm not quite sure how long electricity will remain "cheap."
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #118
Alpine Wait
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
I do wonder about this one. The US grid has issues handling the load today during the winter and summer high points. I imagine when EVs become more commonplace they will place a significant load on the grid. More demand can also mean more $$$. How else are you going to charge your car and get around (the mentality of the oil/gas companies today...can charge whatever, really)? Unless infinite nuclear power or some other technology comes about, I'm not quite sure how long electricity will remain "cheap."
Even though consumer EV adoption is certainly spiking, the relative load on the infrastructure is linear, and small compared to industrial needs and similar.

We also have the free market to work out potential demand spikes, i.e. reduced electricity rates (for charging EVs) during overnight hours, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #119
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Man, do y'all throw a hissy fit every time you have to ask for a straw? Don't want an EV? Don't get an EV.

You don't see any of the EV-lovers running over to your table screaming about you using a straw when you could drink from the cup.

It's a free market. Shame y'all only want 400+ horsepower if it's burning dinosaurs. EVs in performance and motorsports open an absolutely insane amount of doors.
bonsai84.00
      08-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #120
bonsai
OG 3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3/2018 F82 M4 Compet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Man, do y'all throw a hissy fit every time you have to ask for a straw? Don't want an EV? Don't get an EV.

You don't see any of the EV-lovers running over to your table screaming about you using a straw when you could drink from the cup.

It's a free market. Shame y'all only want 400+ horsepower if it's burning dinosaurs. EVs in performance and motorsports open an absolutely insane amount of doors.
Well said. So many armchair experts throwing shade and ill-informed opinions in here.

Gotta love the internet!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #121
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Only 4 motors… weak!

ford has a 7 motor mustang mach-e prototype testing
Be junk like all the other turdstangs😉🤣
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:41 PM   #122
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Even though consumer EV adoption is certainly spiking, the relative load on the infrastructure is linear, and small compared to industrial needs and similar.

We also have the free market to work out potential demand spikes, i.e. reduced electricity rates (for charging EVs) during overnight hours, etc.
Sure - there are off-peak hours, but now imagine 100 million people in the US have EVs and are charging them all throughout the day. I would not call that small. Having me charge my car off-hours is like telling me to fill up my gas tank at 9pm instead of noon when I'm on my lunch break. I guess the smart charging devices will allow me to schedule it through an app, but having to constantly monitor when it's cheap and when I'm getting gouged doesn't sound like fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #123
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Sure - there are off-peak hours, but now imagine 100 million people in the US have EVs and are charging them all throughout the day. I would not call that small. Having me charge my car off-hours is like telling me to fill up my gas tank at 9pm instead of noon when I'm on my lunch break. I guess the smart charging devices will allow me to schedule it through an app, but having to constantly monitor when it's cheap and when I'm getting gouged doesn't sound like fun.
There are states that are ramping fast chargers up appropriately like Florida and FPL.

In regards to charging, if you are using a level 2, to me it shouldn't be different than people who cook or do laundry throughout the day or night in millions of households across the states.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 07:43 PM   #124
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

It'll be interesting to watch manufacturers attempt to create character and passion where there isn't any. I see this story like someone touting the most advanced sex doll ever. It might be groundbreaking but I'm still not interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 09:15 PM   #125
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

This place is just as bad as the 'vette forums.

Criticize something BMW does, get banned. The anti-EV circlejerk though? Completely acceptable apparently.

Hopefully this will be on NK and not CLAR, and not weigh 2.5 tons like the i4 M50. I'd be in for one then.

We've had basically the same Rube Goldberg machines for nearly a century now, and we're pretty near the limits of what they can do. It's time for something new.

Keep driving old cars if you want, let the rest of us enjoy new technology.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2022, 09:42 PM   #126
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
There are states that are ramping fast chargers up appropriately like Florida and FPL.

In regards to charging, if you are using a level 2, to me it shouldn't be different than people who cook or do laundry throughout the day or night in millions of households across the states.
That's true on level 2, but charging is for hours on end, not just the time needed to cook something. I'm not saying it is impossible to support. Mainly, I'm just concerned, and when we rely on electricity as much as we do gas, greed can set in and we can be right back where we were when gas was >$5/gal.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:43 PM   #127
Alpine Wait
Private
Rep

Quote:
The volume of EV owners in the US doesn't jump from 2M to 100M in a couple of years. We have decades to get there, which will see the electric infrastructure augment capacity via wind, solar and deferred/repurposed resources from the 100M less fossil fuel vehicles on the road.

Your mindset of filling up your gas tank at 9pm vs. noon/lunch-break is not analogous to how you charge an EV. You plug it in when you're done driving for the day (even if that's 10pm at night). When you wake up every single day with 100% charge, you don't need to 'fill up on your lunch break'.

Last edited by Alpine Wait; 08-18-2022 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 11:48 PM   #128
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The volume of EV owners in the US doesn't jump from 2M to 100M in a couple of years. We have decades to get there, which will see the electric infrastructure augment capacity via wind, solar and deferred/repurposed resources from the 100M less fossil fuel vehicles on the road.

Your mindset of filling up your gas tank at 9pm vs. noon/lunch-break is not analogous to how you charge an EV. You plug it in when you're done driving for the day (even if that's 10pm at night). When you wake up every single day with 100% charge, you don't need to 'fill up on your lunch break'.
There's plenty of vehicles that need more time than you predict to charge, but whatever. What gets me is people like yourself seem to overlook the very-real scenario where a household can have 4 drivers or more. How will everyone charge their car every night? What about a multi-family home that has even more drivers? The entire electric supply would have to be rebuilt to accommodate all the draw.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 02:47 AM   #129
araamse9
Registered
Rep
Drives: vj

It is important for you guys to aknowledge, that this is not a vehicle in development, but a drive system. There will not be a gran coupe electric i4M.
Appreciate 1
Frosty772.50
      08-19-2022, 03:33 AM   #130
Alpine Wait
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
There's plenty of vehicles that need more time than you predict to charge, but whatever. What gets me is people like yourself seem to overlook the very-real scenario where a household can have 4 drivers or more. How will everyone charge their car every night? What about a multi-family home that has even more drivers? The entire electric supply would have to be rebuilt to accommodate all the draw.
Every EV on the market can charge from 0-100% in <5 hours from a home Level 2 charger.

4 EVs in a household shouldn't be an issue, either. Today, each of those 4 people have a cell phone right. Imagine if your cell phone battery charge lasted 1-3 weeks at a time, but your entire family only had a couple phone chargers in the house. Surely your family could figure out how to make that work? And today's L2 home chargers already have the intelligence and connectivity to stagger charging loads among multiple vehicles and account for variable-rate electric plans.

The electrical supply in the US (while not perfect), handled a much greater capacity increase via the buildout of virtually every home in the southern states needing/using central AC over the past 50 years. That takes much more power than the potential of a couple of EVs per every household. And no one said "stop building homes with central air or you're going to wreck the grid".

I'm done with the straw man arguments, you fellas aren't going to buy these BMW M EVs, anyways. More for the rest of us, I suppose!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 06:08 AM   #131
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Every EV on the market can charge from 0-100% in <5 hours from a home Level 2 charger.

4 EVs in a household shouldn't be an issue, either. Today, each of those 4 people have a cell phone right. Imagine if your cell phone battery charge lasted 1-3 weeks at a time, but your entire family only had a couple phone chargers in the house. Surely your family could figure out how to make that work?
We went from "just plug it in every night and wake up to a 100% charge in the morning" to only needing charge "1-3 weeks" in a flash. The gaslighting (lying) by the EV crowd never ends.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 06:48 AM   #132
SteezeforMyBimmerMon
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M2, '22 Subaru Outback

I dont expect this to disappoint when it gets to the market.
Appreciate 0