New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #1
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Leaking Tension Strut ?

After not driving for 2weeks I noticed a fair amount of fluid (5ml) on the floor below the left front wheel. Happened again after another 2 weeks of not driving.
Quick inspection looked like the strut was leaking so assumed I would need a new strut.
In talking to BMW the advisor said that much fluid is probably the tension strut and not the "regular" strut. If it was the regular strut losing that much fluid the car would be bouncing all over the place. (which it isn't)
Anyone tried replacing the tension strut?
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

How can a tension strut “leak” when it appears to be nothing more than a solid cast locating arm with bushings (that are subject to wear) at either end?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #3
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Apparently the bushings at the ends are fluid filled.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 01:24 PM   #4
paris1
Captain
Rep

This may not be the correct strut for a Z4:https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rm-31126773949
but it appears to be representative of the part. I suspect the ball joint end is packed with some kind of light grease, but 5ml of "fluid"? doesn't sound right.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 01:43 PM   #5
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I totally agree with you. A leaking grease joint might be a few drops not a total of 5-10ml. Could be a motor oil leak making its way down to the suspension parts however although it looks like oil doesn't smell like it.
So I'm at a loss, guess I'll bite the bullet and take it in
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 02:57 PM   #6
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Original tension struts have fluid filled bushings...and bushings can crack and let that fluid out...
leaks look something like on the pictures in this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607239

Now you can put new oem tension struts with fluid bushings, or replace bushings... Buy aftermarket solid bushings...
or do what i did:
Replace them with e9x M3 tension struts. They have solid bushings that last longer and if i remember right are actually cheaper than tensions struts with fluid filled bushings..
M3 tension struts dont change your alignment/ camber. only difference is the bushing.
If you wish you can replace lower wishbones aswell with M3 parts. they give you more negative camber, have ball joint instead of the bushing.
Only problem with them is you have to fabricate/mod headlight level sensor bracket because m3, 3 series or 1 series have that sensor on the other side. not hard... original bracket wont fit all the way around the M3 wishbone because its alot thicker... so i used stainless steel cable ties to make it work... also ground a small notch to the wishbone so that sensor bracket wouldnt slide on the wishbone.

TRW makes these control arms for BMW so i would recommend to buy that brand. Lemförder is ok too.
FCPEuro sells a full kit:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rade-bmwmcakit

This kit includes headlight level sensor rod aswell but on Z4 you cant use it.

Quick fcpeuro video on them aswell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXwZ8t0Z0Ns

On the drips: You may want to check oilfilter housing for gasket leaks. Its usually the first thing that leaks on N54 and it leaks down the front of the engine where serpentine belt is and you may not smell it in the cabin.
Though when mine leaked i did not notice any oil drips on the floor...

Last edited by KennyP; 08-04-2022 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #7
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info.
Made an appt with the dealer. If it is the strut they don't charge much more than an indy There are no aftermarket struts with adaptive suspension so all the indys I talked to get the strut from one of the local BMW dealers. In the end the cost differential isn't much.
I have a decent after market warranty that will cover most things if it ends up being something else and I feel the dealer may possibly be better at diagnosing.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #8
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltee View Post
Thanks for all the info.
Made an appt with the dealer. If it is the strut they don't charge much more than an indy There are no aftermarket struts with adaptive suspension so all the indys I talked to get the strut from one of the local BMW dealers. In the end the cost differential isn't much.
I have a decent after market warranty that will cover most things if it ends up being something else and I feel the dealer may possibly be better at diagnosing.
I swapped my struts for the M3 style and I could not be happier. Noticeable improvement in the front end. Yes, I have adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:14 PM   #9
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

LT, see sig below if you’re replacing bushings. The monoballs and camber plates is the bee’s knees. And you get to keep your control arms, etc. Good luck with the leak.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:38 PM   #10
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
LT, see sig below if you’re replacing bushings. The monoballs and camber plates is the bee’s knees. And you get to keep your control arms, etc. Good luck with the leak.
Is this supposed to be like a "coded" message? Because otherwise it makes no sense at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 05:43 AM   #11
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

There’s talk of swapping the stock control arms for M3 arms to improve steering. But the M3 arms don’t have the headlights control linkage, which would need fabrication.

An alternative is the monoballs and camber plates in the signature below. The stock arms stay the same, it allows negative camber, great improvement to steering, no need to fabricate the headlight linkage.

“Decoded”
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #12
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It was indeed a leaking strut. Way too much fluid under the car to be the fluid in a bushing.
Bit the bullet and went to the dealer. Cost me a couple hundred more than at a local indy but they did replace a few more 'wear and tear" parts that were not on the indy list.
Got a X2 loaner for the day it was in the shop too.
Appreciate 0