New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
pmflint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3

Garage List
2008 x3  [0.00]
Posted in gen 1 forum but no responses yet

I recently purchased a 2008 x3 for my daughter who will be getting her learners permit in a few months. The vehicle is in excellent shape with 134,000 miles but I knew there were a few problems with it when I purchased it. The first problem is it will randomly cut off. It has happened twice; once while accelerating onto the interstate and once while slowing down to make a turn. After research, I saw where it could be the vanos solenoids or camshaft position sensor which seem like common problems. I have ordered a new set of solenoids to try first but haven't received them yet. If that doesn't fix it, then I will try the camshaft sensor. This sound right?
The other issue I am having is when pulling off from a stoplight or stop sign, I have a loss of power and the vehicle begins jerking and the 4x4 light will come on. After a brief moment, it will clear up and run fine. Could this be the transfer case actuator? I see that is another common problem. I did move it in the driveway the other day and the brake, abs, and 4x4 lights were on. Next time I started it, they were all gone.
This is our first BMW and I couldn't pass up the deal even if I have to put a little money into it. I just want the vehicle to run properly for a soon to be brand new driver. My budget isn't unlimited and I'm trying to not have the pay the huge BMW dealership costs.
I'm no professional mechanic but am pretty handy with simple fixes. Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmflint View Post
I recently purchased a 2008 x3 for my daughter who will be getting her learners permit in a few months. The vehicle is in excellent shape with 134,000 miles but I knew there were a few problems with it when I purchased it. The first problem is it will randomly cut off. It has happened twice; once while accelerating onto the interstate and once while slowing down to make a turn. After research, I saw where it could be the vanos solenoids or camshaft position sensor which seem like common problems. I have ordered a new set of solenoids to try first but haven't received them yet. If that doesn't fix it, then I will try the camshaft sensor. This sound right?
The other issue I am having is when pulling off from a stoplight or stop sign, I have a loss of power and the vehicle begins jerking and the 4x4 light will come on. After a brief moment, it will clear up and run fine. Could this be the transfer case actuator? I see that is another common problem. I did move it in the driveway the other day and the brake, abs, and 4x4 lights were on. Next time I started it, they were all gone.
This is our first BMW and I couldn't pass up the deal even if I have to put a little money into it. I just want the vehicle to run properly for a soon to be brand new driver. My budget isn't unlimited and I'm trying to not have the pay the huge BMW dealership costs.
I'm no professional mechanic but am pretty handy with simple fixes. Thanks for any input.
As far as the random stops, I don't have any advice. But the actuator motor probably needs the common fix for it...

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/B...roblem-And-Fix

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 12:50 PM   #3
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmflint View Post
Have the codes read off the car and report back.
Appreciate 0