New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-20-2022, 06:51 AM   #23
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
i was in Audi groups for years before 2013 when I moved to BMW. I'd say Audi and VW people were just as into their cars as the BMW people I've seen.

I don't think you can expect RR owners to really be into cars, sorry to say!
Audi is the one luxury brand we've not owned. But I'm not all that surprised to hear that they have very engaged owners. Everyone I've ever known who's owned one seemed pretty "into cars". Where almost everyone I've ever known who owns a Lexus is about as interested in cars as I am in learning how to cook. It's a utility/food, if it gets me from A to B/fills me up it's served it's purpose.
Appreciate 2
10"4973.00
M8Bimmer1266.50
      08-20-2022, 10:49 PM   #24
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Is this a joke? How can RR owners be passionate about cars? They are usually being chauffeured around meeting other owners to exchange their Grey Poupon Srsly, if there was ever a brand that looks weird to drive yourself instead of being driven, it's RR.

BMW is generally passionate but gotta hand it to the Alfa and Lotus guys. Audi is same as BMW from my experience.

EDIT: how did I forgot about the Miata/MX-5 guys? Some of them have owned all four gens! That's real dedication and one's gotta give props.

Last edited by tranquility; 08-20-2022 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00
      08-21-2022, 08:24 AM   #25
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
And the Iphone has been out for like 10 years.
Try 15!

And a good way to measure enthusiasm for a marque could be the size of their affinity clubs. BMWCCA is the largest independent single-marque car club in the world. Not factory-bankrolled—created and run by enthusiasts. For over 50-years.
Appreciate 4
chad86tsi1605.00
ppointer743.00
HotRodM4685.50
      08-21-2022, 03:56 PM   #26
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Just popped in because I read the title and thought this was about sexy time.

Carry on…
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2022, 03:57 PM   #27
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
LOL, that's more a cult. I kind of like Teslas, love their sales process and could deal with the QC issues (I think). But I don't have one for many reasons, one of which is because I don't do "fads". No iPhone and no Tesla.
Teslas are fugly and you couldn’t pay me to be seen in one, but I don’t think they are a fad
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4685.50
      08-26-2022, 04:40 PM   #28
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Long time car nut, mechanic and forum goer here.

My take is this:

True forums like this only thrive when the main owner base is comprised of either DIY mindset or passionate/enthusiast mindset.

Brands like VW/Audi/BMW/Porsche are all brands rooted in racing and performance, and they attract customers as such. Which is why their forums are usually more active than the other side of the spectrum, comfortable luxury like MB or Lexus. Even though MB has one of the best F1 programs and well known tuning branch AMG - most owners buy them as status.

Heck even driving one and you can see that (soft limiters are a joke, as is forced upshifts or heavy fuel cut when you near redline in a manual mode), let a lone the lack of MT offering from MB.

Other cheaper [jdm] manufacturers typically have lively forums due to the popularity of tuning Japanese cars.

Euros usually are more refined into niches based on chassis or generation
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #29
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

My wife seems to think so since I got the ///M
Appreciate 1
JAI///M3528.00
      08-26-2022, 04:55 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
Long time car nut, mechanic and forum goer here.

My take is this:

True forums like this only thrive when the main owner base is comprised of either DIY mindset or passionate/enthusiast mindset.

Brands like VW/Audi/BMW/Porsche are all brands rooted in racing and performance, and they attract customers as such. Which is why their forums are usually more active than the other side of the spectrum, comfortable luxury like MB or Lexus. Even though MB has one of the best F1 programs and well known tuning branch AMG - most owners buy them as status.

Heck even driving one and you can see that (soft limiters are a joke, as is forced upshifts or heavy fuel cut when you near redline in a manual mode), let a lone the lack of MT offering from MB.

Other cheaper [jdm] manufacturers typically have lively forums due to the popularity of tuning Japanese cars.

Euros usually are more refined into niches based on chassis or generation
Yup, just a recent anecdote as I've become accustomed to drivers w late model Merc sedans here flying around showing off, this one guy did a fly-by so I took that as a sign he wanted to play so I indulged him. In short, guy couldn't drive at all, he was all about fly-bys, making as much loud noises as possible and driving like a hooligan, it was a pretty sad showing; anyone can go fast in a straight line, curves is where it's at.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #31
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Def the BMW groups are far more helpful than most prestige marques. I don't know if it's because the cars get accessible to younger buyers willing to hustle or the cars just drive better.
      08-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #32
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

I will also add that I love how new BMW’s still don’t have soft rev limiters, unlike Porsche and Audi. I’m not too sure about BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #33
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
Def the BMW groups are far more helpful than most prestige marques. I don't know if it's because the cars get accessible to younger buyers willing to hustle or the cars just drive better.
Its just a more enthusiast brand. I had a mb before and it was near impossible to find tech info on non amg cars. Even those it was mostly people talking about speed shops doing the work.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2022, 08:40 PM   #34
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I will also add that I love how new BMW’s still don’t have soft rev limiters, unlike Porsche and Audi. I’m not too sure about BMW
Hard to believe but the X5M/X6M F95/96 has a soft rev limiter at about 4K. Engine has a 7,200 rpm redline.
It has 6 bolt mains for the crank, so seems like it's built pretty sturdy. Guess BMW doesn't have much faith in their flagship engine?
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #35
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep
Drives: F10 550i | E82 135i

BMW owners tend to be more involved with their cars. Loved BMW since I was a kid and started ownership in 1998 with an E36 then moved on to the E39 which had one of the best forums and community. But even within BMW, there are variations.

With the F10 forums it was meh - everyone talking about the NAV and electronic gizmos. No suspension debates, less maintenance DIYs. It's really down to the life-cycle of these cars where new owners tend not to explore or do work on the cars - of course some exception, but generally I found that to be the case. Several years later, you get 2nd or 3rd owners joining with more activity on performance mods and maintenance.

I found this site for the 1 series takes me back to the E39 days with tons of information, hints, experiences and helpful folks. Hope we keep it going.

2013 F10 550i M-Sport | AC Schnitzer Springs | CMP Chassis Brace | PS4S

2011 E82 135i M-Sport | Evolution Racewerks CP | Stock | Stock | Stock
Appreciate 0