New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-05-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
What Buying & Selling Apps/Services are you using...?

Hey guys..

I'm interested to hear what applications everyone is using for Buying & Selling Items. More on the lines of selling items. I'm not necessarily talking about new items, for a majority of that stuff I'll use Amazon or some other place.

I primarily use Craigslist, Marketplace and eBay.. but I recently, my last few experience with eBay have been HORRIBLE to say the least. They are all about the buyer and provide NO SUPPORT for the seller. its a shame because I sold a lot on ebay.

Recent Example: I sold a Pool Robot for cleaning the pool. The lady had it for 29 days and then decided to file a Return on it. I reached out to her through ebay and asked her what was wrong with it. She told me nothing, I think it worked pretty well, but my pool guys said that I should get a different model. I have it in my posts that I do not expect returns outside of 5 days. She filed a complaint with ebay. Ebay contacted me and insisted that I had to refund the payment and shipping costs. They read her comment saying that there was nothing wrong with it and she was happy with the item until the 29th day when her pool guys recommended something else. They didn't care..

Here is where it gets better... when I got the unit back, it was in a different box (after 30+ days, I would think it would be) and the robot was damaged and clearly used. The main housing was cracked probably due to poor packing and shipping. the box had a opening in it and two of the pieces were missing. The unit and bag had leaves and debris in it. I took pictures of the box when I received it, before I opened it... and pictures of the robot damaged and sent it to ebay. I called them up and they apologized but there was nothing they could do. The credited my account $50 but that was it. I had to sell the robot for parts now. So I escalated my complaint and it got no where. They told me the claim was closed at this time.

Sooooo... needless to say, I'm DONE with selling on eBay. I'll buy all day long now that I know that I can return anything within 30 days... even if I use it or damage it.. (which I wont BTW). but I'm done with Selling on ebay.

My question is... what other online services have you had success with that you would recommend...?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

To tell you the truth, after all the scams and creeps out there I am hesitant to sell anything online.
I agree 100% on EBAY and have been in the same scenario as you.
Guess I'll just be a "hoarder" instead or throw shit out that I don't need anymore
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

This is unfortunate to hear. I have lost a bunch of weight over the past 2 years and due to this, I have an exuberant amount of jeans that I had planned on selling on ebay. I'll look for something else.

I will also touch on ebay's security, it's pretty much shit. About every 6 months or so, I'll get an email stating that my account has been shut down due to selling non-authorized items. I've never sold anything on ebay. Then I go through the process of setting up a new account, which they don't want to do since I don't want to create yet another email account.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Dont get me wrong, if I sell a product and its damaged or not working, I'll be MORE than happy to return it and refund the money. But if you dont ask questions about the item, or decide that after 30 days that you dont want it because someone suggested something different, or you dont like it, I'm sorry, but that's on YOU at that point.

I view as buying a pair of sneakers from Dicks Sporting Goods... wearing them for 30 days and returning them and saying they hurt my feet. They're not going to provide a refund.

First off, I dont think the refund should have ever been allowed in the first place, but, a better compromise could have been made, which I suggested and they said no, they cant do that. Since the item was used and damaged when it was returned, I suggested splitting the cost of the item in half... She returns the item and pays for shipping and gets refunded half of the cost. This way I get something at least, ebay pays nothing, and I can at least sell the robot for parts and make up the difference.. Nope.. they were having none of that... Dont get me wrong, I'm not done with her either... I'll get my money back one way or another..! That street travels both ways deary..!

Craigslist, Marketplace... no issues... its how it should be... flea market or yard sale... I just want to see what else is out there to gets to the masses like ebay...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I usually just donate or throw away stuff I don’t want anymore and, unless looking for something very specific that is hard to find, don’t want anything someone else doesn’t want anymore. I don’t even like buying from third party sellers on Amazon. Some just buy stuff at Walmart or Costco and resell it at a markup (sometimes insane markup) and they are usually a PITA for returns.

vva.org picks stuff up at your front door if you have donations.
      08-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Any other apps that you have had success with for buying and selling...?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Aren't you allowed to list your item as no returns/exchanges and sold as is?

I don't use eBay much, but I've never had a bad experience selling or buying on there. The only thing I don't like is all the fees from eBay AND the merchant that handles the transaction.

I usually use craigslist or FB marketplace because I don't have to deal with shipping and the person can inspect what they're buying before paying me. The transaction is easy and simple with no surprises.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiin View Post
Aren't you allowed to list your item as no returns/exchanges and sold as is?

I don't use eBay much, but I've never had a bad experience selling or buying on there. The only thing I don't like is all the fees from eBay AND the merchant that handles the transaction.

I usually use craigslist or FB marketplace because I don't have to deal with shipping and the person can inspect what they're buying before paying me. The transaction is easy and simple with no surprises.
Yes..!! that's the issue. For years they allowed no returns as long as you addressed it in your post. In fact, I even ADDED that line as part of my default script for my posts, but it doesn't matter. I'm told by ebay that, if the buyer submits a return request for ANY REASON within 30 days, it must be returned... The seller has to refund the shipping costs as well. That's why I'm done with ebay from a selling standpoint. The other thing that I forgot to mention in my rant above is... ebay wont even allow me to leave negative feedback or comments for the buyer for returning the item damaged. When I pressed ebay for the reason why, they told me that, too many negative points on someones account will discourage other sellers..... DUH..!! No @%@#... that's why they should be there..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone had any experience with LetGo...?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #10
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I use Facebook Marketplace for selling/buying things like car parts, lawn equipment, etc. Seems to get the most traffic, and is basically the only thing I ever use Facebook for.

I buy things on ebay, like car parts, used tools, etc, but no longer sell on there. Once they required a bank account instead of just going through paypal I was done.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I use Facebook Marketplace for selling/buying things like car parts, lawn equipment, etc. Seems to get the most traffic, and is basically the only thing I ever use Facebook for.

I buy things on ebay, like car parts, used tools, etc, but no longer sell on there. Once they required a bank account instead of just going through paypal I was done.
That's a VERY GOOD point.. I forgot to mention that about the bank account. Yes, I agree... I only use FB for the Marketplace as well. For selling the bigger items such as tires, wheels, generators, etc... I just keep it within Craigslist or Marketplace.. I use those for the local stuff... I'm looking for something thats more on the global side (US only).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #12
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Selling on Craigslist is the simplest way or Offerup because you avoid the returns. You pick a place to meet (never at your house), and once the transaction is done you'll never have to hear from them again. In addition, I use a burner number for my posts as well so you can try to text me again, but you won't be getting a response back since I'll just delete it

The problem with selling on eBay/Amazon is exactly what you pointed out. The company is always on the buyer side and will screw the seller over even if not at fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #13
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
100% agree... I have a burner number and aliases email accounts that I use and delete after the month is out to avoid that as well. I have a dedicated spot as well that I meet people at, but NEVER at the house. The parking lot is very busy, they have camera's everywhere and the light is very long and crowed.

Plus I have a system with my buddy that I've been using for years. Depending on the cost amount of the item, we are usually on the phone and I'll describe the person, car and license plate if I can get it before getting out of the car. He will call me be in 10 mins after we hang up...If I dont pick up, there's an issue.. he keeps calling until I pick up or I'll pick up and tell him to give me another 10-15 minutes.

If I'm buying something and its a few hundred bucks or so... I'll take pictures of the money before I leave to make the transaction. Yes, I know there are safe zones like the police station, but that's a little far out of the way.

Hmmmm... I'll have to take a look at Offerup. I'm trying to find something like "ebay" that I can make one post and it go out to everyone in all of the states, or people can search without me having to make multiple posting in each state... if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #14
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

I use Poshmark to sell items in my closet. I’ve only had positive experiences
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #15
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I had a similar experience with ebay. I had sold jeans. They were hemmed, and i described the inseam length precisely. I used "no returns" in my ad. Anyway, the buyer was unhappy with the inseam length and returned them. It ended up costing me 20$ instead of making 15$ - so i donated the jeans and de-listed my ebay items. Shortly after, they went away from paypal and I knew I had made the right decision. I just use local apps now so I know there won't be any bullshit post-transaction - craigslist and offerup. But there aren't many bites so I've just gotten used to donating/throwing stuff away. It irks me to throw crap away when someone out there could use it, but it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #16
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I use Poshmark to sell items in my closet. I’ve only had positive experiences
Hey Sara... I thought Poshmark was primarily for clothes...?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #17
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I had a similar experience with ebay. I had sold jeans. They were hemmed, and i described the inseam length precisely. I used "no returns" in my ad. Anyway, the buyer was unhappy with the inseam length and returned them. It ended up costing me 20$ instead of making 15$ - so i donated the jeans and de-listed my ebay items. Shortly after, they went away from paypal and I knew I had made the right decision. I just use local apps now so I know there won't be any bullshit post-transaction - craigslist and offerup. But there aren't many bites so I've just gotten used to donating/throwing stuff away. It irks me to throw crap away when someone out there could use it, but it is what it is.
Yes, ebay is a huge disappointment from the seller perspective. If you're a buyer, you really can't do any wrong. I agree, I hate to throw thing out or just give me away. Dont get me wrong, clothes I have no problem donating, I computer or two to a local school... again, no issues, however, a perfectly good set of golf clubs, or old cell phone, etc.. not so much...
Appreciate 0