New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #89
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVerkleij View Post
Great setup!

Interested to see how you hook-up your internet connection.
Will you be using your phone? By Wifi, by cable? Maybe a separate 4G USB dongle?
Planning to just tether using my phone hotspot as needed. With google maps you can download maps locally if that's what you are concerned with.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #90
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
I have a factory Idrive controller and screen.
only additional item I got was the CarPlay cable
I'm still trying to sort my Carplay/Android Auto to work. I now have the apk, which loaded OK, but rain stopped play yesterday afternoon (as I needed to unscrew a panel) so today will be attempt 3 for sorting this out
Did you happen to get the dash cam option ? Was toying with the idea of getting that once I get things all setup
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #91
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
I'm stuck in San Francisco on work travels. The device arrived within 3-4 days as advertised by a-carnavi can't wait to get back home and install this. Seems like you are happy with it so far other than the CarPlay option ?
Yes I am very happy with it. I've found a work-around for Android Auto without a dongle, but still working on the Apple Carplay side of it.

I'm currently waiting for YouTube to finish processing my How-To video then I'll post it up here

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #92
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did you happen to get the dash cam option ? Was toying with the idea of getting that once I get things all setup
No, I already have a dashcam hard-wired anyway so will leave that as is.
I will be installing an aftermarket reverse camera and parking sensors for it.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #93
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The How-To video is now on-line, sorry but it is 1 hour and 5 minutes long, but then there is a lot of detail.
Available at this link...

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #94
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The How-To video is now on-line, sorry but it is 1 hour and 5 minutes long, but then there is a lot of detail.
Available at this link...

Watched the entire video great job mate
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #95
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, didn't want to bore anyone
My wife says I sound a little monotone, but then I'm not one of these "hey, how's you all doing?" (with an extremely enthusiastic voice, lol) type of YouTubers (nothing wrong in that BTW), this is information that is required to be got across.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #96
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, didn't want to bore anyone
My wife says I sound a little monotone, but then I'm not one of these "hey, how's you all doing?" (with an extremely enthusiastic voice, lol) type of YouTubers (nothing wrong in that BTW), this is information that is required to be got across.
My car has native I drive so planning to make a video on that 2011 35is
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 03:10 AM   #97
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My car has native I drive so planning to make a video on that 2011 35is
I was going to say you've got it easy then, but to be honest you've still got to take just as much off to gain access.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #98
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Thanks! Your video will prove to be a valuable resource if I ever decide to make the change to one of these units. I like the idea of adding an iDrive dial controller, and it looks to be better integrated with the BMW than my Joying android unit. Let us know when you get CarPlay up and running, because that is a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #99
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto View Post
Thanks! Your video will prove to be a valuable resource if I ever decide to make the change to one of these units. I like the idea of adding an iDrive dial controller, and it looks to be better integrated with the BMW than my Joying android unit. Let us know when you get CarPlay up and running, because that is a deal breaker for me.
I'm glad it'll be of use

Carplay - Now if you buy the dongle from them then you shouldn't have a problem, but I thought I was being clever and bought a generic version from eBay, this may or may not be the problem I'm still investigating this issue. Also I'd previously installed a USB socket (as per attached photo) for charging my phone in a neat install within the glovebox, so I used this to connect the screen USB cable, so this could also be the problem, I now need to get back out to the car (when it's not raining) and take the glovebox out again and check all theories.
On a plus point I do have Android Auto working perfectly without a dongle. There's an app you can get from the Google Play store that mimics Android Auto and works as if it's the original, touchscreen and steering wheel control compatible as well As I'm and Android user this is a must for me, but my wife can also drive my Z and she is an Apple user so I need to have both working.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #100
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad it'll be of use

Carplay - Now if you buy the dongle from them then you shouldn't have a problem, but I thought I was being clever and bought a generic version from eBay, this may or may not be the problem I'm still investigating this issue. Also I'd previously installed a USB socket (as per attached photo) for charging my phone in a neat install within the glovebox, so I used this to connect the screen USB cable, so this could also be the problem, I now need to get back out to the car (when it's not raining) and take the glovebox out again and check all theories.
On a plus point I do have Android Auto working perfectly without a dongle. There's an app you can get from the Google Play store that mimics Android Auto and works as if it's the original, touchscreen and steering wheel control compatible as well As I'm and Android user this is a must for me, but my wife can also drive my Z and she is an Apple user so I need to have both working.
Carplay - Problem SOLVED
Buy the standard generic Carplay dongle (the white one)
Then download this link >> http://121.40.123.198:8080/zbox/zbox.apk << to your computer, load onto a memory card, place in the Android screen, access via ES File Explorer and run the apk. This loads ZBOX onto the Android screen, open the app, plug in the dongle, plug in your iPhone cable and your iPhone following the instructions on the screen and phone.
Job done, next time you get in your Z4 and plug in the phone it should open Carplay up automatically.

Android Auto - For some reason this app is not available for this screen from the PLay Store - Problem SOLVED
Go to the play store and load Headunit Reloaded (there is a trial version to check it works, actual version is about £/$5). Once loaded open the app and then plug your normal phone cable into the USB socket from the screen, then plug your phone in (DO NOT use the dongle**). Follow the messages on the screen and on your phone.
Job done, next time you get in your Z4 and plug in the phone it should open Android Auto automatically. (Headunit Reloaded information courtesy of Michael Duffin here in the UK)

** EDIT:- Please note that you CAN use the dongle for Android Auto, but you'll only have the useable part in the centre of your screen, not full screen. Personally although Headunit Reloaded costs I prefer it being full screen even though it's stretched a little. At the end of the day if you want both Carplay and Android Auto as options then you'll buy the dongle anyway so try it with the dongle and see how you go, then if you'd prefer to see full screen then try Headunit Reloaded Trial version first. Obviously if you don't want Carplay then just try the H-R app and see how you go
Attached Images

Last edited by DavesZed; 03-16-2019 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: Updated
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #101
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm glad it'll be of use

The flush mount extension cable you show on this post with the CarPlay dongle work ? That would be a clean install
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #102
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The flush mount extension cable you show on this post with the CarPlay dongle work ? That would be a clean install
This is where I have mine (same as OEM position). As I didn't have the OEM USB socket here I just modified the hole and fitted this.
It works fine with the dongle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #103
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Any looking to save a couple bucks there's a group buy going on for this unit:
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=113141
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 02:07 AM   #104
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone that purchased the CarPlay adapter from A-carnavi you have to use the autoplay v3 apk
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 02:08 AM   #105
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is where I have mine (same as OEM position). As I didn't have the OEM USB socket here I just modified the hole and fitted this.
It works fine with the dongle
Looks clean I think I will do the same but have a dual usb mount
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #106
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Anyone that purchased the CarPlay adapter from A-carnavi you have to use the autoplay v3 apk
Have you installed yours yet?

Mine working...

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #107
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

You mentioned that the steering wheel controls work in CarPlay. Does that include all controls? Like next track, previous track, etc.? I have the Zlink program on my Joying head unit. The Zlink program has a feature that allows you to assign steering wheel controls to various functions, but that feature is not supported on the Joying. So, in my CarPlay the only steering wheel functions that work are volume up and volume down.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #108
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You mentioned that the steering wheel controls work in CarPlay. Does that include all controls? Like next track, previous track, etc.? I have the Zlink program on my Joying head unit. The Zlink program has a feature that allows you to assign steering wheel controls to various functions, but that feature is not supported on the Joying. So, in my CarPlay the only steering wheel functions that work are volume up and volume down.
Both volume and track skip work.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:02 AM   #109
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Mine working...
Mine is working also. Got all my videos recorded of the install. Going to cut them together over the weekend and upload to YouTube. Dave thank you for all your help on this you have been a huge help.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:04 AM   #110
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine working...
Mine is working also. Got all my videos recorded of the install. Going to cut them together over the weekend and upload to YouTube. Dave thank you for all your help on this you have been a huge help.
How did you change the car icon in car play to bmw mine just shows a default car icon
Appreciate 0