New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
SpectreMech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 iDrive 35is

Delivery tomorrow! Snow tow advice please

Not new to Bimmerpost, but new to this forum. Apologize for not using the noob intro, but I'm in a small jam. History Z3 3.0, 328i, 330ci, 335i, 640i.

Sold my 640i when we moved to NC. Came back to Idaho, retired, and was really missing BMWs. Found a beautiful DSB/saddle 2011 Z4 iDrive35is on the coast. Supposed to be delivered in a week, they just called and it's coming...tomorrow.

I can get it up the mountain, but the driveway is almost 900 feet long, and partially covered with snow and ice. If I have to use a tow strap off my T4R, does the Z have a tow eye that screws into the front bumper?

The car runs, I assume I'd tow it very, very slowly in low gear...

May not come out of the garage (assuming we get there) for a month, is a trickle charger on the battery recommended? Is it a good idea to fire it up once a week, let it idle to warm and shut it down?

Thanks for any advice, I was just starting to do research when this dropped!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Yes the Z4 has a tow eye (well, it's really a transit tie-down eye, to be correct) that lives under the trunk floor panel just behind the battery. Although if it's like mine (had to have it flat-bedded recently) it was the wrong one for the model. Don't know how that happened. Couple of questions: is having it flat-bedded up the drive an option? Also, it sounds like you were OK having it delivered in a week, but not under current weather conditions? If that is the case, and you're expecting "the big thaw" in the coming week, is there a possibility you could park it off site for a week or so until conditions allow you to drive it up to the house safely?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
7thGear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

Trickle charger, absolutely. But there's no need to fire it up once a week if it's only going to sit for a month. Nothing to be gained by doing so in any event, though. It's the frequent short trips that are hard on an engine. Sitting for several months does no harm as long as the oil isn't badly contaminated and in need of changing. But keep that battery charged up.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
SpectreMech
Private
Rep

Transporter has seen our drive on Google Earth, and refuses to come down it. I think it's a multi-car truck...70 feet long. Probably a good idea, it's narrow and bordered by rock under the snow. A week from now I'd have arranged to have our driveway guy plow and grit, he's off skiing right now and not available. We're going to grit ourselves today, and I'll have a couple of bags in reserve. My 335i got stuck on a slight incline in 1/2" of snow in Germany...I've seen this operation go sideways (literally).

Garage is really well insulated, but has mice (common in the country). Right now they're dormant, but I have to figure out a defense. Good to know a trickle charger will keep the car active...it's coming from a Lexus dealership and got a full service, to include brake and coolant changes. Ninety-day coverage from the dealership, but my first BMW out of warranty...pray for me!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreMech View Post
Ninety-day coverage from the dealership, but my first BMW out of warranty...pray for me!
Our E89 is right at 3 years without warranty and we just put out our first $1300 to replace the electric water pump. If nothing else major goes bad in the next year or so, going warrantless will have been a good call. Of course it helped that, prior to the factory warranty expiring, I had an independent shop go over the car with a fine too comb and come up with $2-3k worth or problems which my dealer agreed to take care of before it timed out. Good luck with yours; it's a bit of a crap shoot.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
7thGear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

Another option is to use tire chains on the rear wheels. A couple bags of play sand or concrete mix in the trunk would make a big difference too. Either option is cheap and easy. I've used used both when driving my Camaro in the Colorado mountains year round.

Where in Idaho? I'm planning to retire in Coeur d'alene in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
SpectreMech
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGear View Post
Another option is to use tire chains on the rear wheels. A couple bags of play sand or concrete mix in the trunk would make a big difference too. Either option is cheap and easy. I've used used both when driving my Camaro in the Colorado mountains year round.

Where in Idaho? I'm planning to retire in Coeur d'alene in a few years.
Just chipped a wheel track into the drive ice and gritted it. Not going to be easy, but at 2mph I'm hoping to avoid damage. Thinking hard about the chains, just hate spending the money for something that's unlikely to be used again. This is my sunny Sunday roadster, it's going to lead a pampered retirement.

Verified single owner car with complete maintenance records. The interior is immaculate, zero wear on the drivers seat. I'm thinking either a woman, or a guy who wore a suit or slacks to work. Fingers crossed.

We're up a mountain just outside Sandpoint. We go into CDA once or twice a month...whole area is growing quickly, lots of Cali transplants. Prices spiking up too...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Steep Driveway setting

I am not an expert on this subject but I do believe you need to use a drive mode that will allow some wheel spin on the hill or it will prevent you from moving. That might be a long press on the sport plus setting. There is info in the manual. My neighbor could not get his M5 up his driveway until he disengaged all anti skid controls. Very frustrating until he got the setting right.
Not sure which differential the 35IS has either..

The tow eye is in the tool kit in with the battery. Also mentioned in the manual. Best Wishes
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #9
SpectreMech
Private
Rep

The Eagle has landed! Haha! Holy shite that was a nerve wracking 900 feet, but with the car in M1 and the driveway kinda/sorta gritted she did it.

Interior is brilliant, paint looks good (for having just come across WA in the winter) and all the systems work as advertised. Half inch crack at the bottom of the front valance the dealership failed to mention...but looks like an easy body shop job.

Probably get some grief for it, but I'm really not feeling those silver mirror covers. I know they match the kidneys and mark it an "is", but I'm thinking those things are getting painted to match the car. Have to wait for the spring thaw and good detail before crossing that road, though. Thanks for all the good advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Cloudywolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 35i

Congrats on the delivery! About keeping the car garaged, I drive mine only a few times a month (2013 35i) and never had a battery issue. Trickle charge would be a safe measure though
2005 350Z Roadster
Appreciate 0