New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #1937
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The problem with the Supra is that when it was for sale it wasn't iconic. In fact nobody even cared about it. Toyota couldn't sell them. It had a small following but never became notable until the first F&F movie so the reality is that it's iconic as a used tuner car mostly for its engine. The reality is that even if Toyota made the latest Supra, fans of the MK4 would not look on it kindly as it wouldn't have a 2JZ-GTE engine in it as that's what made that car special as the rest of the car was big, heavy, and somewhat homely compared to cars of that day such as the FD RX-7, 300ZXTT, 3000GT.
I think some of you guys are forgetting what happened during the early 90s. The state of the U.S. economy, rising Yen, etc. which also killed off most of the cars on your list. In it's home market the A80 carried a lower price tag and they sold almost 3 times the amount in Japan. If an in-house A90 did used a Toyota V6 turbo sure some internet fan boys would be upset that isn't a straight six like in the case of the R35, but I think over time most people would have gotten over it.

To each their own, but most people that met in real life love the looks of my car. A lot of non-car people are also shocked when they find out it's a 93. While I do agree the car isn't perfect by any means, let's not make the A80 out to be the R35 GT-R.

Last edited by supra93; 02-16-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
David701567.00
Moflow2484.50
      02-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #1938
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
I think some of you guys are forgetting what happened during the early 90s. The state of the U.S. economy, rising Yen, etc. which also killed off most of the cars on your list. In it's home market the A80 carried a lower price tag and they sold almost 3 times the amount in Japan. If an in-house A90 did used a Toyota V6 turbo sure some internet fan boys would be upset that isn't a straight six like in the case of the R35, but I think over time most people would have gotten over it.

To each their own, but most people that met in real life love the looks of my car. A lot of non-car are also shocked when they find out it's a 93. Let's not make the A80 out to be the R35 GT-R.
Most fanbois don't even realize the 2JZ was built and designed by Yamaha. I

And yes, the economy killed a bunch of those cars. I looked it up the other day, I believe, inflation adjusted a '96 Supra Turbo would be approaching $80k in today's dollars.

So in '96 for half the cost of Supra, you could buy a 310hp V8 Camaro. I realize it's not a good comparison on fit/finish/etc, but just on PPOOOWWAAAHHHH.
Appreciate 1
supra932480.00
      02-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #1939
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
The problem with the Supra is that when it was for sale it wasn't iconic. In fact nobody even cared about it. Toyota couldn't sell them. It had a small following but never became notable until the first F&F movie so the reality is that it's iconic as a used tuner car mostly for its engine. The reality is that even if Toyota made the latest Supra, fans of the MK4 would not look on it kindly as it wouldn't have a 2JZ-GTE engine in it as that's what made that car special as the rest of the car was big, heavy, and somewhat homely compared to cars of that day such as the FD RX-7, 300ZXTT, 3000GT.
I don't 100% agree with this. I thinkk MK4 fans WOULD be ok with it IF Toyota actually made the car. If it was a true Toyota, new motor with the same capabilities of the 2JZ the whole 9 I think it would be received better than this bastard child. I also think the problem they had with selling the Supra was its price tag. The car was fine, very capable, pretty to look at...it was a stunner. They priced themselves out of the market though, you can't sell the car for $35K so you raise the price by $10k? That's just stupid IMO
Appreciate 2
supra932480.00
Tacoma944.50
      02-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #1940
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
I had a 300zx Turbo in those days and always wanted the Supra. LOL. Wish I would have bought 10 of them and locked them in storage
Appreciate 1
supra932480.00
      02-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #1941
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

And yes, the economy killed a bunch of those cars. I looked it up the other day, I believe, inflation adjusted a '96 Supra Turbo would be approaching $80k in today's dollars.

So in '96 for half the cost of Supra, you could buy a 310hp V8 Camaro. I realize it's not a good comparison on fit/finish/etc, but just on PPOOOWWAAAHHHH.
The only thing uglier than a mid 90's camaro is a new camaro. LOL I did like the IROC-Z. I was never a fan of the American cars, sorry. I bought my 300ZX just to beat all those Mustangs and Camaros. Even till this day, Nothing like beating up on some dude with some loud exhaust in a Mustang.I would ONLY race those cars at the Philly street races, LOL. I can only race them in my M4. They want no part of the GTR. Pussies
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #1942
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

That's been highly debated, even had a thread over on Supraforums on that matter.

Right, it was a pretty expensive car, even the NA turd. I believe the Japanese NA base version was around $6.5k cheaper than the U.S. or $11.7k in todays money.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #1943
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I find the fans being upset with this car strange. They hadn't built a Supra in 25 years so not like they suddenly screwed it up. What Toyota produced isn't what the fans wanted (completely Toyota with a Toyota inline 6) but if we waited for that it would have never happened. No chance Toyota was building an engine just for this car so next option is a standard Toyota V-6, turbocharged? I prefer the engine that's in it. The gripes don't seem to be with the end product just it's pedigree.
jmg18703.50
      02-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #1944
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I also share this memory. That's why it seems completely backwards thinking that somehow the great Supra nameplate was soiled by BMW engineering.
Look at it from a lot of Supra owner's POV. Toyota tease the world with the sleek FT1 which the design team envisioned to be built on the LC platform and even hinted at GTR and LFA level of performance. They paraded it to all the car shows and even Supra in Vegas making everyone think "this is the new Supra". So when the final product is an auto only 2 seater reskin Z4 with a hardtop roof you can see why some people are disappointed.

With that said I understand they wanted to make it affordable. If that was the case I feel that they shouldn't have cock tease us in the way that they did. The design team should have been on the same page as the engineers. Preview something that actually looks remotely close to what you intend on producing like with the FT-86. Just my 2 cent.

Last edited by supra93; 02-16-2021 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
ramman434712.00
      02-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #1945
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure that this narrative is true. The car was overpriced for sure, but I remember reading Car and Driver as a 12 year old when the MKIV TT came out. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds along with that styling....It was 100 percent my dream car as a child. Yes, the FD RX7 was sexier, so was the NSX but neither were THAT car to me. My best friend's dad even had a C4 Corvette, but I didn't care. It wasn't a Supra.

A few years later, I remember having a conversation with a friend, HIS friend had imported a copy of this new video game Sony had released in Japan that was supposedly coming to the U.S. called "Gran Turismo." We were both so geeked on the game primarily because while we'd driven virtual Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches in games like Test Drive, neither of us had gotten the chance to virtually drive our REAL dream car: The MKIV Supra.

None of my friends could afford the car (or even had licenses) when it came out. But it didn't start becoming legendary because of a fast and furious movie. To a lot of people my age it has ALWAYS been that car.
Appreciate 2
supra932480.00
Tacoma944.50
      02-16-2021, 06:49 PM   #1946
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I find the fans being upset with this car strange. They hadn't built a Supra in 25 years so not like they suddenly screwed it up. What Toyota produced isn't what the fans wanted (completely Toyota with a Toyota inline 6) but if we waited for that it would have never happened. No chance Toyota was building an engine just for this car so next option is a standard Toyota V-6, turbocharged? I prefer the engine that's in it. The gripes don't seem to be with the end product just it's pedigree.
I think it's because they want something that is going to be reliable in the long term and isn't going to be a major headache when the warranty runs out. That is what Toyota is known for. Some are also upset because it's going to be limited too, or handicapped on what BMW decides as stated by this forums insider. Kind of lame for a halo car imo, and furthers the argument about this being a project of compromises.

Personally I don't love it, but I also don't hate it and I'm glad something like this even exist in the day and age of crossover dominance. However in it's present form it just isn't appealing to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #1947
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I'm not entirely sure that this narrative is true. The car was overpriced for sure, but I remember reading Car and Driver as a 12 year old when the MKIV TT came out. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds along with that styling....It was 100 percent my dream car as a child. Yes, the FD RX7 was sexier, so was the NSX but neither were THAT car to me. My best friend's dad even had a C4 Corvette, but I didn't care. It wasn't a Supra.

A few years later, I remember having a conversation with a friend, HIS friend had imported a copy of this new video game Sony had released in Japan that was supposedly coming to the U.S. called "Gran Turismo." We were both so geeked on the game primarily because while we'd driven virtual Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches in games like Test Drive, neither of us had gotten the chance to virtually drive our REAL dream car: The MKIV Supra.

None of my friends could afford the car (or even had licenses) when it came out. But it didn't start becoming legendary because of a fast and furious movie. To a lot of people my age it has ALWAYS been that car.
Spot on!!!! The FF movie was what,2001? Car was a Unicorn before that junk came out. It has just grown even more since then. Hence they are 80-100 K used. LOL What's your E-46 worth? :thump: I mention E-46 since many peeps say that is the best for this platform. I love the Supra and all the M cars. Just not sure in 18-20 years you will see any M cars going for double what they sold for. Especially for their bullet proof engines. We won't even go there
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #1948
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Look at it from a lot of Supra owner's POV. Toyota tease the world with the sleek FT1 which the design team envisioned to be built on the LC platform and even hinted at GTR and LFA level of performance. They paraded it to all the car shows and even Supra in Vegas making everyone think "this is the new Supra". So when the final product is an auto only 2 seater reskin Z4 with a hardtop roof you can see why some people are disappointed.

With that said I understand they wanted to make it affordable. If that was the case I feel that they shouldn't have cock tease us in the way that they did. The design team should have been on the same page as the engineers. Preview something that actually looks remotely close to what you intend on producing like with the FT-86. Just my 2 cent.
That's why I said before it was such a let down! I was totally on board to order one as soon as I was able to. All the early talk was some super bad ass GTR-ish type tuner car. Then that fugly thing came out and never once, thought of selling my GTR. Either I pumped it up in my head or just was so hoping for something that I had to have. OH Well
Appreciate 1
supra932480.00
      02-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #1949
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Reading this thread I feel like I’m the outlier. I love it. Best heart that’s been recently mass produced IMO and on items as subjective as aesthetic taste I think it’s gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #1950
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

They should have made their own body and stuffed the V8 from the ISF in there...that would have been a better progression for the name IMO
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #1951
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
I think it's because they want something that is going to be reliable in the long term and isn't going to be a major headache when the warranty runs out. That is what Toyota is known for. Some are also upset because it's going to be limited too, or handicapped on what BMW decides as stated by this forums insider. Kind of lame for a halo car imo, and furthers the argument about this being a project of compromises.

Personally I don't love it, but I also don't hate it and I'm glad something like this even exist in the day and age of crossover dominance. However in it's present form it just isn't appealing to me.
EVERY project is a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
They should have made their own body and stuffed the V8 from the ISF in there...that would have been a better progression for the name IMO
They already make that car, it's the Lexus RC F. And it starts at $15k more than the I6 Supra.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      02-16-2021, 09:53 PM   #1952
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
EVERY project is a compromise.
To certain levels yes, but it's even worst when its denied XZY because of the automaker involved.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #1953
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Would the Toyota V6 angered people more than the BMW I6?

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/sho...he-ls500.1546/
      02-17-2021, 02:36 PM   #1954
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...a-supra-turbo/

1993 Toyota Supra Turbo - as tested price of $42,500 (base price: $40,250)

Inflation adjusted $42,500 to today - $76,935 --- they would have considered a number of changes at that price but then everyone would have again complained about the high price, like the original.

People like to look back at something and only remember the good things, then we forget that sales were slow because of the price. This car with a Toyota engine and interior wouldn't sell at $76k and Toyota wouldn't have built it.
      02-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #1955
supra93
Colonel
Rep

All this talk about "what if..." and "it should have been..." is getting tiresome. Whether you love it, hate it or somewhere in-between, it's here and it is what it is. So let's just forward.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #1956
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...a-supra-turbo/

1993 Toyota Supra Turbo - as tested price of $42,500 (base price: $40,250)

Inflation adjusted $42,500 to today - $76,935 --- they would have considered a number of changes at that price but then everyone would have again complained about the high price, like the original.

People like to look back at something and only remember the good things, then we forget that sales were slow because of the price. This car with a Toyota engine and interior wouldn't sell at $76k and Toyota wouldn't have built it.
To be fair, that $42K Supra had 335 HP and 365 ft-lb torque and 0-60 in 4.6s, excellent for 1993. To compare, a 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 had 355 HP and 384 ft-lb,, 0-60 in 4.0s, and cost $110K. That's Porsche Turbo like performance numbers at less than 1/2 the price.

In today's numbers, the 2021 911 Turbo is now 2.2s to 60, so using the same 2021 vs. 1993 ratio, that'd be equivalent to 0-60 in 2.5s for a 2021 Supra which would be an amazing deal for $76K even if it's "only" a Toyota. A 2021 911 Turbo is $220K today.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      02-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #1957
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
To be fair, that $42K Supra had 335 HP and 365 ft-lb torque and 0-60 in 4.6s, excellent for 1993. To compare, a 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 had 355 HP and 384 ft-lb,, 0-60 in 4.0s, and cost $110K. That's Porsche Turbo like performance numbers at less than 1/2 the price.

In today's numbers, the 2021 911 Turbo is now 2.2s to 60, so using the same 2021 vs. 1993 ratio, that'd be equivalent to 0-60 in 2.5s for a 2021 Supra which would be an amazing deal for $76K even if it's "only" a Toyota. A 2021 911 Turbo is $220K today.
Yes it would have been great and it's also completely unrealistic to think the $76k complete TOYOTA Supra would have had near 911 Turbo performance. Then we would have been back to hoping someday to get another Supra.

The new one also goes 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, no way it is getting anywhere close to 911 turbo territory without going mid engine (zero chance at $76k) or AWD, then of course no one wants a Supra to be AWD (with AWD comes a lot of negatives for what is supposed to be a sports car).

Last edited by David70; 02-17-2021 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #1958
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post

It was a dream car to people that couldn't buy it. It's really no different than today's GTR. The people that lust over them can't afford them and the people that can afford them won't buy a Nissan. The Nissan hasn't sold over 500 GTR's a year in the USA since 2015 and even in its best sales year they sold 1700 which is about how many 911's Porsche sells in two months. The Supra suffered miserable sales for the same reason the GTR does today and it's because expensive Japanese sports are are not desirable. Kids, teenagers, and young adults lusting over unattainable cars does not make it a success or an icon.
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00