New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-09-2023, 04:48 AM   #23
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
I'm with tranquility : the cost/benefit just doesn't make sense to me. I'm happy to wait a bit for the items to arrive. I've never been a Prime member.
      09-09-2023, 07:28 AM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I have it but not happy that it’s almost double of what it used to cost. However, in that time I have received packages faster than I used to. Even my country house is able to get a package next day in many cases. We also use Prime Video. I think the trick is to ensure you order items that are directly from Amazon. I very rarely order an item from another vendor in Amazon because of the issues of not knowing when something gets shipped or will arrive.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
      09-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #25
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

I've found with my Prime membership, and the amount of stuff we've bought, they give me the same treatment as Costco regarding returns/refunds. Last year I had a few solar landscape lights start getting condensation inside and frying the internals after 6 months. Obviously well past the return window. Guess what.. the seller/company was no longer available. Started a chat with an Amazon rep, and they fully refunded all the lights, even the ones that still worked.

Recently a $400 grind & brew coffee maker we bought stopped working after 11 months (Capresso brand, don't buy). I'm in Canada, and the Amazon listing on amazon.ca states 1 year warranty. We contacted the Capresso (based in New Jersey) and they told us despite a 1 year warranty, because we were in Canada (international) and purchased from Amazon Canada, that we were SOL and now own a paperweight. Quick Amazon chat, and they immediately refunded the full amount.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4671.50
dradernh4413.00
      09-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #26
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
I've found with my Prime membership, and the amount of stuff we've bought, they give me the same treatment as Costco regarding returns/refunds. Last year I had a few solar landscape lights start getting condensation inside and frying the internals after 6 months. Obviously well past the return window. Guess what.. the seller/company was no longer available. Started a chat with an Amazon rep, and they fully refunded all the lights, even the ones that still worked.

Recently a $400 grind & brew coffee maker we bought stopped working after 11 months (Capresso brand, don't buy). I'm in Canada, and the Amazon listing on amazon.ca states 1 year warranty. We contacted the Capresso (based in New Jersey) and they told us despite a 1 year warranty, because we were in Canada (international) and purchased from Amazon Canada, that we were SOL and now own a paperweight. Quick Amazon chat, and they immediately refunded the full amount.
I have had a similar experience with returns. They immediately send me a shipping label via email and I can get the box out immediately. I try to keep the box for a couple days in case it doesn't work as advertised so I don’t have to try to find a box.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:41 AM   #27
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
For $89/year I get overnight deliver, Amazon music and Prime TV, seems like a good deal to me.
It's now $139 not sure how you get a 50 dollar discount, student id ? I cancelled a year ago. Grew up in the age of it will be here in 7-10 business days so if it takes 3-4 for normal delivery I'm good.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:56 AM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I think the trick is to ensure you order items that are directly from Amazon. I very rarely order an item from another vendor in Amazon because of the issues of not knowing when something gets shipped or will arrive.
Yup, that's a great pt and part of the criteria I use, so, knock wood, I never ran into any major prbs ordering online. Here's what I do to narrow the field:

-free shipping items only
-shipped by Amazon
-set a max $ limit
-4 stars or above rating
-only look at items w HUGE # of reviews (>a few thousand)
-check out the vendor if reputable/high rating

It's actually not rocket science but somehow some other ppl often run into prbs.

Not sure how having Prime would additionally benefit someone if there is actually something wrong w the product, I'm sure they would back up their guarantee if one makes a complaint and it's valid.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 10:04 AM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
I'm with tranquility : the cost/benefit just doesn't make sense to me. I'm happy to wait a bit for the items to arrive. I've never been a Prime member.
Yup, *to me*, it never made any sense and I was perfectly fine w waiting a week for items to come, but now I was really impressed it only took the 2nd day, so shipping has gotten WAY better for reg customers (the pattern seems to be getting more and more efficient, from 1 week to 4, 3 days and now just 2) and ironically, a lot worse for Prime members, which is crazy.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 10:22 AM   #30
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have Prime membership mainly for the music and video. I stopped ordering things and prefer to visit brick and mortar small businesses to buy stuff. My wife gets deliveries everyday from Amazon because the kids are always needing things for school, and extracurricular activites.

Also, the current CEO of Amazon graduated in my high school class.
      09-09-2023, 10:24 AM   #31
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
It's now $139 not sure how you get a 50 dollar discount, student id ?
He's in Canada, and apparently they get a great deal on Prime membership...that's even better when you consider that they're paying in Canuck Bucks and not real money.....
      09-09-2023, 10:30 AM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
He's in Canada, and apparently they get a great deal on Prime membership...that's even better when you consider that they're paying in Canuck Bucks and not real money.....
US bucks is not real money either, you guys just don't know it yet (w/o the military backing it up, the Yanks' hyperinflation would make S Amer's look like a cakewalk)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #33
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I have it but not happy that it’s almost double of what it used to cost. However, in that time I have received packages faster than I used to.
I think the trick is to ensure you order items that are directly from Amazon. I very rarely order an item from another vendor in Amazon because of the issues of not knowing when something gets shipped or will arrive.
^^^^^^ This.

Amazon finally built a distribution warehouse in our area about two years ago, and it immediately made most of our two-day deliveries into overnight by using their own (or contracted) delivery vans instead of relying on USPS, FedEx, or UPS for our deliveries.

Interesting thing that started in July is that some items qualify for early morning (4 AM - 8 AM) delivery if they cost more than $25.00. I tried it on one order just to see if they could actually pull it off, and sure enough OCD psycho dog was going bonkers at 4:15 AM the next morning when they arrived to make the delivery. Considering that I don't live in an urban area where they can do same-day deliveries, I'm impressed with early morning delivery for my Prime membership fee.

When I buy stuff, I always search with the Prime delivery checkbox enabled to cut most of the third-party vendor cruft out of my results. If a third-party vendor is the only option, then I pick one that's shipped/fulfilled by Amazon since I feel more confident with the item being stored in Amazon's warehouses and not shipping from China.....
      09-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #34
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I have it for the free delivery.
Appreciate 3
c1pher4671.50
      09-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #35
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

"Prime" energy drink - smart marketing associating their drink w. that word, they can't keep that crap on the shelves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 11:52 AM   #36
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
It's now $139 not sure how you get a 50 dollar discount, student id ? I cancelled a year ago. Grew up in the age of it will be here in 7-10 business days so if it takes 3-4 for normal delivery I'm good.
That's what I paid last time I renewed, maybe it's gone up since then. We order a lot of stuff from Amazon as we live in the country a long way from any brick and mortar stores, free delivery, usually next day or two days, Amazon Music and Amazon Prime. Even if they up the price it still seems like a good deal all things considered.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 01:20 PM   #37
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
That's what I paid last time I renewed, maybe it's gone up since then. We order a lot of stuff from Amazon as we live in the country a long way from any brick and mortar stores, free delivery, usually next day or two days, Amazon Music and Amazon Prime. Even if they up the price it still seems like a good deal all things considered.
Amazon Prime Canada is $99/yr now.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
      09-09-2023, 04:28 PM   #38
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
While I don't like paying $139 a year, I factor in the time I would otherwise spend in traffic driving to a big box store, contributing to pollution, waiting in a line, or going someplace only to realize the store is out of stock or doesn't carry what I'm looking for. I try to check websites before I do go to a store but that doesn't always work and some brick and mortar shops don't actually tell you if something is in stock locally. I figure I save at least $10 a month by using Amazon Prime by not using gas and not needing to expend time to get someplace. The balance of that bill I figure I get free videos and music.

And for when I'm in the country, it takes at least an hour to get to a big box store to buy anything. Much cheaper to just order it from Amazon.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
      09-09-2023, 04:40 PM   #39
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Amazon Prime Canada is $99/yr now.
That's like $70 USD.....
Appreciate 2
Th3Walrus340.50
vreihen1615280.00
      09-09-2023, 05:20 PM   #40
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassWholeBimmer View Post
The free shipping on all orders, regardless of price, pays for itself. Just ordered an oil filter for my John Deere tractor. Next day delivery, right to my door step. Other than needing lumber or big ticket / bulky items, hardly ever step foot in a Home Depot.

Wasp spray.... Check....
Cleaning supplies. Check...
Light bulbs... Check..
Husqvarna chain saw blades... Got that too.
I can tell you, you’re paying for the shipping in the price. 10 years ago Amazon had the best price and free shipping, today Amazon’s prices have creeped up to cover shipping. How do I know this, I found the same product on the actual company’s website for a price lower than on Amazon, if you buy direct from the company, and have them ship direct to you it’s the same price as Amazon. I seen this a number of times. Because of this I have been going direct to company website to buy things to cut out Amazon profits. Just last week I found the exact same car part made by the same company on eBay for $10 less for $65 part Amazon with free shipping.

Long and short Amazon has condition everyone just to buy from them thinking faster shipping and lower price is what you get with Prime. It’s no longer the case, since they stop loosing money every quarter (investing in the future what they told everyone) to turning a profit now.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 05:29 PM   #41
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I can tell you, you’re paying for the shipping in the price. 10 years ago Amazon had the best price and free shipping, today Amazon’s prices have creeped up to cover shipping. How do I know this, I found the same product on the actual company’s website for a price lower than on Amazon, if you buy direct from the company, and have them ship direct to you it’s the same price as Amazon. I seen this a number of times. Because of this I have been going direct to company website to buy things to cut out Amazon profits. Just last week I found the exact same car part made by the same company on eBay for $10 less for $65 part Amazon with free shipping.

Long and short Amazon has condition everyone just to buy from them thinking faster shipping and lower price is what you get with Prime. It’s no longer the case, since they stop loosing money every quarter (investing in the future what they told everyone) to turning a profit now.
True. I get that. Nothing is free in life. Point I was trying to make is by purchasing common household items on Amazon, with "Free" shipping, I save money by not taking my X5 to home depot to buy Ortho Wasp Spray.
      09-09-2023, 07:01 PM   #42
NikMN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 n63tu

Only reason I got it was for grand tour and clarson farm (got bored with netflix)Their version of pandora isn't bad (no stupid adds every 2 songs) no interest in buying stuff from them
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
Jbrown74032643.50
      09-09-2023, 08:56 PM   #43
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

The wife got Prime years ago when we lived out in the sticks, and we still have it. I think she watches Prime Video. I took over paying the bills and have noticed that the price has risen a significant percentage. It's still low enough, though, that I'm not ready to do a deep-dive to figure out if it's worth it or not.

As for how I value Amazon itself, the 1- and 2-star reviews can be worth their weight in gold. The 4s and 5s generally tend to have little in the way of useful information; for every genuinely informative review, there are at least a dozen with no meaningful content.

As Maestro pointed out, you can often find the same products for less somewhere else. If I find the manufacturer has the same price as Amazon, shipping included, I go with the manufacturer. More and more, Walmart has come through for me, and I now take the time to give them a look. Finding the best price continues to be a moving target. Service is another subject altogether.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #44
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
...I found the same product on the actual company’s website for a price lower than on Amazon, if you buy direct from the company, and have them ship direct to you it’s the same price as Amazon. I seen this a number of times.
Amazon charges vendors a percentage to sell through their platform. The savings from ordering direct usually represent the vendor not having that additional expense, not that Amazon is making them pay the shipping.

Also worth noting is that some vendors use Amazon as their fulfillment warehouse, so there's no savings by ordering directly.....