New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-15-2022, 02:31 PM   #45
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
There's so many fallacies in your logic that one doesnt have time to spend holding your hand through this.

Are you aware that battery capacity is reduced to half when the temperature get sub zero?

The article is talking abut some anecdotal driver that left his house fully charged and got stuck on the hwy. What about people who may have been driving for a few hours and got stuck in the blizzard?? What about the trucks and comercial vehicles that were delivering product cross country?? Would they still fare better with an EV?

No they wouldnt. Does the article ponder what if the power had gone out during the blizz aw rd as it did in Texas last year for days?? What would you have done with your EV paperweight then?

Ive never been stuck in a traffic jam and had to worry about choking on fumes entering my cabin. Unless you are sitting there with your windows down in a blizzard.

Like why are you so obsessed with your electric vehicles, are you just trying to be cool with the latest fad?
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Teutonic2706.00
Tch-Nrd118.50
      01-15-2022, 02:56 PM   #46
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
There's so many fallacies in your logic that one doesnt have time to spend holding your hand through this.

Are you aware that battery capacity is reduced to half when the temperature get sub zero?

The article is talking abut some anecdotal driver that left his house fully charged and got stuck on the hwy. What about people who may have been driving for a few hours and got stuck in the blizzard?? What about the trucks and comercial vehicles that were delivering product cross country?? Would they still fare better with an EV?

No they wouldnt. Does the article ponder what if the power had gone out during the blizz aw rd as it did in Texas last year for days?? What would you have done with your EV paperweight then?

Ive never been stuck in a traffic jam and had to worry about choking on fumes entering my cabin. Unless you are sitting there with your windows down in a blizzard.

Like why are you so obsessed with your electric vehicles, are you just trying to be cool with the latest fad?

So you telling me China and Europe can do it but the most powerful country in the world don't?

At least you can power your house with a Tesla when the power goes out because of a simple storm...
Every year the same show during the winter, year for year without any improvements. Everyone gets surprised to see snow in the winter months on all season tires

EV is the future, no way around it. Save this post and pull it out in 5 years.

I'm not obsessed with EV, I don't even own one...

Last edited by LOW4LYF; 01-15-2022 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
KoenG1417.50
BMWRL596.00
      01-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #47
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Despite what Weber is saying, I personally believe BMW will kill eight cylinders within two years. MB's four cylinder engine makes now like 600hp, or something to that effect. Don't be surprised if BMW will start shaving cylinders as well.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      01-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #48
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:

Don't know whether you're aware that there is a broad world wide consent that blizzards, floodings, storms, and other forms of extreme weather are caused by CO˛. To avoid further accelerated environment detoriation, the BEV are suggested. You got the story entirely inversed.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #49
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

God this board is so insufferable at times with all the climate change and EV virtue signaling...
Appreciate 2
NickyC17334.00
      01-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #50
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:

Don't know whether you're aware that there is a broad world wide consent that blizzards, floodings, storms, and other forms of extreme weather are caused by CO². To avoid further accelerated environment detoriation, the BEV are suggested. You got the story entirely inversed.
Whilst I'm not calling your statement idiotic, it is in fact idiotic to assume only cars produce CO². It's equally idiotic to assume only CO² is responsible for climate change, and even more idiotic to think EVs are the answer to everything.

EVs present another nail in the coffin and you'll be holding your head down in shame when you find your grandchildren in dismay come 30 or so years when most natural resources and rare-earth minerals used in producing EVs have been depleted to, and for, nothing because - let me say this slowly so it's easy to comprehend, EVs ARE A NET POLLUTER when you consider the damage they cause to the environment just to produce 1 single EV.

Finally, how does the electricity you charge EVs with get produced? Gas turbines, diesel or coal-fired power plants, or wind and solar? The first three blow any argument for EVs out of the water, because more gas/diesel/coal has to be burnt creating more CO² trying to produce electricity for those "emission-free" EVs.

We already know what a nightmare the wind turbines have become thanks to their short life cycle and, largely, not being recyclable. Solar energy, well maybe, but all your solar panels will be useless and have to change every ten or so years.

No, EVs are not the solution, they are part of the problem

and the problem is, going in head first without thinking about consequences.

We as a species keep making the same mistakes hoping for better results

Einstein called that insanity
chassis6373.50
KoenG1417.50
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Teutonic2706.00
brad850csi1310.00
BMWRL596.00
M5Rick58873.50
Tch-Nrd118.50
      01-15-2022, 07:14 PM   #51
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Whilst I'm not calling your statement idiotic, it is in fact idiotic to assume only cars produce CO˛. It's equally idiotic to assume only CO˛ is responsible for climate change, and even more idiotic to think EVs are the answer to everything.
I believe that much of what you state here is true, but I don't have the impression that politics is listening anymore. Cars with ICE have become the scapegoat of pollution and for some stupid reason EV are considered ZERO emmission. Every reasonable thinking individual will understand that's not correct at all. Nevertheless, we already came this far and now, the trend is irreversible. The only discussions still left are about how much years the ICE still has. In Europe, most countries seem to opt for faster == better.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 08:21 PM   #52
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
EVs are cheaper for car companies to manufacture, and the car companies are begging governments to legislate in favor of EVs.

EVs are coming, but it is not because they are less polluting.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 09:32 PM   #53
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
EVs are cheaper for car companies to manufacture, and the car companies are begging governments to legislate in favor of EVs.

EVs are coming, but it is not because they are less polluting.
There are not, at least not yet and not for German OEM's.

Most German companies got over helmed with the demand and are still adapting including building new plants for EV or Batteries.

Not sure where your information is coming from. At this point these cars are less profitable as gasoline cars.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      01-15-2022, 10:01 PM   #54
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Read about the tens of thousands fewer workers needed to build EVs compared with ICE cars. In Germany the workers will likely not be dismissed. The US is a totally different story as it relates to employment practices.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #55
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Read about the tens of thousands fewer workers needed to build EVs compared with ICE cars. In Germany the workers will likely not be dismissed. The US is a totally different story as it relates to employment practices.
BMW will create 6000 new position in Germany in 2022, most in the EV sector.

As for now they have additional shifts on the weekends since the demand for the I4 and IX is so high, vehicles are sold out for months.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      01-15-2022, 10:43 PM   #56
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quite right, and as expected for a German company in Germany.

Read about the American companies in the US and how they expect to produce EVs with tens of thousands fewer workers.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 11:01 PM   #57
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

EVs are not the answer for everything. In the future they'll be just another type of vehicle to choose from out of petrol, diesel, hybrid, PHEV and BEV.
ICE will co exist as a form highly efficient hybrid or plug in hybrid.

Majority of people don't realize that without fixing aging infrastructure to electric grid and building new powerplants EV mass market adoption will just stagnate at some point. My local utility company barely can keep up with A/C demand during hottest days...
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan24809.50
M5Rick58873.50
Tch-Nrd118.50
Fhey454.50
      01-15-2022, 11:59 PM   #58
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quite right, and as expected for a German company in Germany.

Read about the American companies in the US and how they expect to produce EVs with tens of thousands fewer workers.

Rivian, Lucid and Tesla are paying top $ for qualified candidates with amazing benefits.

The Automotive industry has more open position than ever.

However robots and computer will replace some position all around the world, you are right.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:18 AM   #59
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
EVs are not the answer for everything. In the future they'll be just another type of vehicle to choose from out of petrol, diesel, hybrid, PHEV and BEV.
ICE will co exist as a form highly efficient hybrid or plug in hybrid.

Majority of people don't realize that without fixing aging infrastructure to electric grid and building new powerplants EV mass market adoption will just stagnate at some point. My local utility company barely can keep up with A/C demand during hottest days...
Exactly! People are so short sighted regarding EV's
Appreciate 2
Tch-Nrd118.50
      01-16-2022, 12:32 AM   #60
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
And also the most boring, uninspiring and soulless from an engineering standpoint.
Any good engineer will choose boring and soulless over exciting every time.

Exciting means unreliable.
Emotional means unpredictable.
Inspiring means underdeveloped.
Appreciate 1
eljay1423.00
      01-16-2022, 12:42 AM   #61
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

We've been hearing the B series 4.0 L V8 for years, could that be the new one coming? With hybrid system too obviously.
and the new inline six could be fundamentally based on B58 with mods and tweaks too. They are good for another ten years.
      01-16-2022, 12:51 AM   #62
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
EVs ARE A NET POLLUTER when you consider the damage they cause to the environment just to produce 1 single EV.
This is FUD that's been disproven time and time again. An EV breaks even in full lifecycle emissions somewhere around its third year of use IIRC.

Quote:
Finally, how does the electricity you charge EVs with get produced? Gas turbines, diesel or coal-fired power plants, or wind and solar? The first three blow any argument for EVs out of the water, because more gas/diesel/coal has to be burnt creating more CO˛ trying to produce electricity for those "emission-free" EVs.
Wrong again. Even with carbon based power generation, the efficiency of the full chain, from burning oil or coal to turning a car's wheels, is 80% or higher. The most efficient internal combustion engines are struggling to get over 40% (and those are the engines that no one here on the ICE side of the argument will want to have in their cars). However, in reality only 60% of the US power generation is carbon based. The remaining 40% are equally split between nuclear and renewables. Add the fact that most EVs require less energy to move them than comparable ICE vehicles, and you get, at worst, 1/4 of CO2 emissions per mile for EV vs ICE.
Quote:
We already know what a nightmare the wind turbines have become thanks to their short life cycle and, largely, not being recyclable. Solar energy, well maybe, but all your solar panels will be useless and have to change every ten or so years.
How do you then explain the fact that every year wind takes over ~1% of total US power generation capacity, and solar takes over another .3%, all at the expense of traditional sources, because total consumption has remained constant since 2005?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:52 AM   #63
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC05 View Post
We've been hearing the B series 4.0 L V8 for years, could that be the new one coming? With hybrid system too obviously.
No. S68 is the only new V8 on the horizon.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:16 AM   #64
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Great interview. Seems plausible the Technology is out there or coming soon that would enable a hybrid combustion engine to get 50, 60, 70 (or more) mpg. The HP and forward thrust desired by us M performance guys would be achieved with the additional e components.

Imagine this scenario. A major hurricane hits the southern US. Millions of people are told to evacuate North. Traffic jams and gridlock ensue. The heat is sweltering. Batteries are going dead. Kids and babies are on board. Air-conditioning, GPS, radios, windshield wipers, etc take power. How do you get electricity to all those cars that have run out of e power sitting on the road . Having a small super efficient combustion engine as part of the drive system makes sense. I think we have a long way to go before we totally say goodbye to ICE engines.

There is a world outside of the US, not sure if you know?

Last time things like that happen the Tesla driver's got more battery range over the air update! Try things like that with a gasoline engine.

The US needs to adopt and going with the time.
I used southern U.S. because that's where I live. Having a car in that scenario with both combustion and e capability makes sense to me that's all. I see Teslas and other EV on every drive nowadays. Usually trying to show my M3 CS how fast they can accelerate. Even soccer moms in their SUVs try to "race" me lol. I think U.S. is on board with EV. But yea, we still have a a lot of big HP ICE cars over here. And they are blast to drive. I'm going to enjoy them while I still can. That interview was encouraging tho. I'm looking forward to this "new generation" of efficient combustion engines BMW speaks of.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:20 AM   #65
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
I used southern U.S. because that's where I live. Having a car in that scenario with both combustion and e capability makes sense to me that's all. I see Teslas and other EV on every drive nowadays. Usually trying to show my M3 CS how fast they can accelerate. Even soccer moms in their SUVs try to "race" me lol. I think U.S. is on board with EV. But yea, we still have a a lot of big HP ICE cars over here. And they are blast to drive. I'm going to enjoy them while I still can. That interview was encouraging tho. I'm looking forward to this "new generation" of efficient combustion engines BMW speaks of.

I'm in silicon valley, so I'm surrounded by EV's... however nobody is racing me in my X5M, maybe I'm just too old for that?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:20 AM   #66
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post
Despite what Weber is saying, I personally believe BMW will kill eight cylinders within two years. MB's four cylinder engine makes now like 600hp, or something to that effect. Don't be surprised if BMW will start shaving cylinders as well.
Yeah, 600 hp from 4 cyl.
Start lookind at their reliability if you want.
There is that much you can squeeze from an engine. Racing engines do that two… sometimes for a few laps…
Appreciate 2
Tch-Nrd118.50