New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

HVAC dead, what happened?

One day this warning symbol came on but nothing noticeably bad affected the car. Next time I use it, the HVAC is dead, i.e. the various lights operate but there is no fan at all. Another symptom is that keyless entry doesn't work (I tested w new battery so it's not that)...it only works immediately after I have driven the car but then after I come back to the car after doing some errands, I need to physically press the keyfob buttons to unlock the door/trunk.

I'll definitely need to get this professionally checked unless somebody knows what's wrong, so wondering if anybody can tell me what's up? TIA.
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 04:14 PM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

My HVAC has quit on me a few times too.
But... after shutting car down and letting it sit for a while to reset its always come back next time.

I did google it some time ago and it seems to be related to how you start the car.

Correct way is to push down the brake pedal and then hit the start button.
But you can in a hurry push the button first and while holding it smash the brake pedal and that may cause that HVAC error.

Though if i think about it i havent had that issue after replacing cars battery. So it may or may not be related to that.

My HVAC has stopped like 3 times over almost 6 years of ownership.. When it happens HVAC controls are just dead and do nothing.. no lights or anything... and of course no air blowing.

Keyless stops working on mine when cars battery is getting low...
      01-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
My HVAC has quit on me a few times too.
But... after shutting car down and letting it sit for a while to reset its always come back next time.

I did google it some time ago and it seems to be related to how you start the car.

Correct way is to push down the brake pedal and then hit the start button.
But you can in a hurry push the button first and while holding it smash the brake pedal and that may cause that HVAC error.

Though if i think about it i havent had that issue after replacing cars battery. So it may or may not be related to that.

My HVAC has stopped like 3 times over almost 6 years of ownership.. When it happens HVAC controls are just dead and do nothing.. no lights or anything... and of course no air blowing.

Keyless stops working on mine when cars battery is getting low...
Tx for your anecdote: I truly hope it's as simple as that as I do recall that I started the car in a 'weird' fashion (didn't crank properly as my foot slipped off the brake, and I had to start it again) and then this error msg popped up soon afterwards. I guess I'll see if it fixes itself next few times I use it. *fingers crossed*
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 08:22 PM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Im serious read this:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/a...r-dead.610034/
      01-13-2022, 10:36 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha tx, guess I'll try my own T-Fix if the HVAC still doesn't work next time. Wow, talk about blast from the past.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:22 AM   #6
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Jeah i was a bit suspicious of tranquility-fix and your username matching up
      01-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Jeah i was a bit suspicious of tranquility-fix and your username matching up
"Suspicious"? ...and you getting very srs telling me to read that thread ASAP - you made it sound like I was doing something sinister.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 05:25 AM   #8
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Well different forum so could be coincidence. You may not be the ONLY tranquility out there... I did not go deep into every link on that thread ... got the information i needed and that fixed my issue.
TBH noticed name similarity after writing that link containing reply.
      01-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well different forum so could be coincidence. You may not be the ONLY tranquility out there... I did not go deep into every link on that thread ... got the information i needed and that fixed my issue.
TBH noticed name similarity after writing that link containing reply.
Haha, no worries, not trying to accuse you of anything.

TBH, I'm so confused about that 'other' forum, it's very weird to me, why isn't it the same format and I'm logged off there? They need to make things uniform and interconnected...doesn't make sense and it's very jarring.

Anyway, used the T-Fix and the HVAC is good again, but the error symbol is still there...according to my manual, it is either a fuel management issue or brake lights....but (knock wood) I didn't experience any symptoms for either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0