New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #1
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

To end the year - a window down on a rainy day

Walk out take a drive and see this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GvQmZ929LDQf6hxS6

Apparently the window went down on it's own over the past 24-48 hrs by itself. Not a FOB issue, as only the drivers window down.

So now dealing with this, car was on a hill (good thing) got the seats out, dehumidifier going. Had to start the car to get in garage. Drove fine, but stereo making a thump, thump sound every ~ 6-7 seconds. Amp (aftermarket) in trunk, Idrive working - thoughts?? Probably not hooking up battery for another 2 days

BTW: apparently a random window going down in BMW is a thing, based on searching the web. Microswitch issue possibly?

Happy 2022...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Well that sucks. Hope it dries out without big issues.

Low battery maybe the cause... when battery got really low on mine it stopped closing the window and left a slit open. after charging the car did a few up and down with the window and it started working again.

Also i take this as a early warning of battery getting low: Sometimes when i unlock the car and open the door window rolls all the way down instead of opening just a tiny bit as it should.

But jeah i had bigger issues with my Z4 in december aswell.. Had to replace both front and rear crankshaft main seals. Front was not that bad but rear seal needed doing for sure. For the rear one had to drop the gearbox, exhaust flywheel etc. And while waiting for the parts and for the car to go in my waterpump decided to start leaking coolant aswell. So i got to do new electric waterpump, thermostat, drop the gearbox and replace the seals all in one go.

That was not fun. But hey car is now in top shape and ready for 2022.

Last edited by KennyP; 01-03-2022 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:16 AM   #3
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Car will dry out ok.
I accidentally hosed car down with right window open.
Just dried it off with towels, no damage done.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Dried the heck out of it with the seats out, carpet up and a dehumidifier. Seems to be back to normal, fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:45 AM   #5
N!co
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive30i

Had the same happened this weekend! Luckily my Z is garaged. I replaced the battery 2 months ago and the last ride was more than an hour long so it has nothing to do with a low battery.
I only noticed it when I closed the door. The windown went from full down to full up after closing the door.

EDIT: Never mind... I pressed the unlock button twice, then when you open the door the window goes down for 90% and when you close the door it goes full up again.

Last edited by N!co; 01-17-2022 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: update...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
EvanCA
Rep
Drives: 2014 M3

Wow, this thread has me rethinking a potential purchase. I’m glad most of you were able to remedy the situation without much, if any, permanent damage.