New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-04-2021, 11:55 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

My stored outside car wheel parts are rusting

Please check out the photo where the lug bolts are rusted like crazy and even part of the wheel hub?...was there anything I could've done to prevent rust despite it being at the mercy of the outside elements?

Do I need to replace the lug bolts? Some of the bolts were hard to remove when I did the seasonal change despite my using an impact wrench. Man, what a pita this rusting is... Tx.
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:42 AM   #2
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

It's the brake rotor hat that's rusting. Not a big deal and very common. When you buy your next set of rotors try to find a set that's painted/coated or if you buy OEM the stockers have an aluminum hat that won't rust. You could try buying new lug bolts made out of stainless?
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

That aluminum hat thing is only on the front rotors though... rears are still solid single piece.

And you dont have to buy BMW rotors from dealer to get these.
I did my rotors and pads like a year ago. Got ATE rotors with oem BMW pads and i think i ordered Bosch wear sensors.

i could have gone with ATE pads aswell but they offer like 3 different pads for the car so i didnt know what to choose. Plus i liked how oem pads feel and did not want experiment and buy something like ceramic pads etc and then drive next 30000km with the brake feel i dont like. With oem pads i knew what i was getting.

ATE designs these brake systems and even if you go and look at your brake fluid reservoir then you will see Ate logo on it.

Zimmermann was actually my first idea to get rotors from but they dont offer twopiece design rotors for the front , only solid single piece design that is heavier than oem. Cheaper though too... two-piece design rotors aint cheap.

And then i learned about Ate and finally saw the logo on the fluid reservoir.

Must say im talking about bigger brakes that are on 35is cars in us (348mm).

In the rear there are still single piece design rotors.

I wouldnt really worry about that rust on rotor hub.

In the picture it looks like your rotor is wearing out aswell. Has quite a lip on the outer edge.
Measure the thickness and if its getting near minimum then next time changing pads change rotors aswell.

i would be concerned about the rear brake caliper that gets rusty. Mine is a daily aswell so mine has that rust aswell. Annoys me a bit but not so much to do something about it. At least yet. Bolts yeah you can just replace.
Wheel center hub caps also get nasty. I have replaced all of these wheel center logos. Yours seem to start to go aswell.

Rear suspension has steel in it aswell. Its not aluminum like in the front. So can get surface rust aswell.

Last edited by KennyP; 11-05-2021 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Tx for the info guys. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this...

So, for function and safety, do I need to replace any of the rusting parts, I guess not? I don't care about aesthetics at this pt since it's my DD and I leave it outside.

One thing that happened which never did before was after my tire change routine, where I torque the bolts correctly in the air and also when I let them back on the ground, the bolts for the front wheels were loose for some strange reason, so I'm wondering if the rusting had any effect? Funny was that they were fine for the rear wheels.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Well i have always somewhat tightened wheel bolts in the air then on the ground gone over them or used the torquewrench.
I dont think that rust has anything to do with it... maybe clean the threads...
for function and safety... i dont see any issues.
      11-06-2021, 04:23 AM   #6
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Small correction: Zimmermann makes both two-piece and one-piece design rotors for the front. But i was not able to get them. Were out of stock with long delivery time or something like that... Could only get single-piece.

So if things are in stock you can choose to go with Zimmermann two-piece rotors...

Though even the owner of the indy workshop that i use who drives x5-s uses Ate on his cars.