New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #23
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
I had a 1 series. i did the same thing with my car, but i did it my self! just cut 4/5 of it and put the plastic think back on the top.
Lokked good. Will do the same with this one!
According to the people in the German zroadster forum you can even buy an antenna from Peugeot for the 607 which fits the E85 (and hopefully also the E89). This antenna is merely 5 cm long and fits the base perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #24
handxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Ok , this topic seems like a perfect topic for me to ask my questions.. I am planning to order my z4 hopefully pretty soon .. This is the car I am planning to order so i have couple questions

My future z4 : BMW Z4 SDRIVE2.3 Metallic Black with red leather interior , hopefully with complete m package and 19 inch wheels those are the must have things I am thinking

Now questions : 1) Do you guys think I should go with manual transmission or Automatic ? I am not sure but I guess for the automatic transmission sdrive2.3 and sdrive3.5 comes with different types of transmissions ? I mean i check some videos and pictures and sdrive2.3 transmission looks more like similiar type too e92 or e93 cabriolet shift knobs ... However, sdrive3.5 looks more like smg tranmission type more stylish shift knob.. I am really sorry to ask kinda dummy questions but i am trying to learn , i am a newbie for new z4

2) Do you guys think IDRIVE is a must have option for the new Z4 ?What exactly will do IDRIVE ?

3) What is the standard stereo in new z4 ? If i like to uggrade it to premium , how many speakers does it come with , any amplifier or bass in the trunk ?

4) Is there a USB port in the car to hook up my ipod ? Or should i order IPOD package for the car ?

5) Any idea of how the 19 inch wheels will look like and also for the M-PACKAGE ? Any pictures , any info ? I definately want to pay extra and get the m-package ?

6) Any other options should I order to the car ?

If you guys answer my questions, I really appreciate it. Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #25
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by handxx View Post
Ok , this topic seems like a perfect topic for me to ask my questions.. I am planning to order my z4 hopefully pretty soon .. This is the car I am planning to order so i have couple questions

My future z4 : BMW Z4 SDRIVE2.3 Metallic Black with red leather interior , hopefully with complete m package and 19 inch wheels those are the must have things I am thinking

Now questions : 1) Do you guys think I should go with manual transmission or Automatic ? I am not sure but I guess for the automatic transmission sdrive2.3 and sdrive3.5 comes with different types of transmissions ? I mean i check some videos and pictures and sdrive2.3 transmission looks more like similiar type too e92 or e93 cabriolet shift knobs ... However, sdrive3.5 looks more like smg tranmission type more stylish shift knob.. I am really sorry to ask kinda dummy questions but i am trying to learn , i am a newbie for new z4

2) Do you guys think IDRIVE is a must have option for the new Z4 ?What exactly will do IDRIVE ?

3) What is the standard stereo in new z4 ? If i like to uggrade it to premium , how many speakers does it come with , any amplifier or bass in the trunk ?

4) Is there a USB port in the car to hook up my ipod ? Or should i order IPOD package for the car ?

5) Any idea of how the 19 inch wheels will look like and also for the M-PACKAGE ? Any pictures , any info ? I definately want to pay extra and get the m-package ?

6) Any other options should I order to the car ?

If you guys answer my questions, I really appreciate it. Thanks..
First question from my side:

Your profile says "Location: USA". The 23i is not available in the US. You will have to get either a 30i or 35i.

1) The 23i and 30i comes with a 6-gear sports automatic (with the old knob known from the E90, E91, E92 and E93). Only the 35i comes with the DCT and stylish "joystick-like" shifter. The difference between the two is:

DCT is not an automatic transmission (though it has an automatic mode). The shifter works electronically where the old shifter on the 6-gear automatic works mechanically (which is also the reason why the two can't be interchanged.

2) Regarding iDrive, please refer to the BMW marketing material. For me iDrive is a must. You get the screen and the iDrive controller. With iDrive you can work a lot of settings in your car from one central point (radio, air con, navigation and phone (with optional phone integration). It also contains a hard disk where you can store up to 12 GB of music (MP3, WMA or AAC).
There is a lot of information published - please go and have a look for yourself or even better, visit a dealer and have a look at the system (all models have the same iDrive - only the screen size varies).

3) in Europe the standard stereo has 6 speakers and about 100 Watt power. The optional HiFi package comes with total 11 speakers and about 250 Watt power. It features two big bass speakers behind the seats.
The optional HiFi professional comes with total 14 speakers and about 600 Watt and surround sound.
I am not sure what is the standard in the US since you can only order the HiFi pro as an option.

4) With iDrive you get a USB port in the glove box. This port is for transferring files to the internal (iDrive related) harddisk only. You cannot play files from this USB port.
There is an optional (2nd) USB port in the center console. This is for attaching USB flash drives and playing music from here. For me this is an absolut must have!
To this USB port you can also connect iPods (with an adapter cable)

5) I am not into wheels - I have no opinion/info here.
For me, I want the ride as comfy as possible - so I go for 17"

6) Loads. Depends on what you want from the car.
Some people want a pure roadster - they don't even go for the iDrive.
Others (like me) look for a fully loaded sporty cruiser. I have a ton of options in my car.
It would really help if you ask questions about individual options and ask for opinions on these options and then decide for yourself whether you want it or not.

I have ordered the following options in my car (some may be standard in your country - you have to check):

metallic paint (for me a must)
extended leather (for me a must)
servotronic (for me a must)
17" wheels turbine style
sport automatic (for me a must - but I drive 50'000 km per year)
integrated universal remote control
comfort access (for me a must - don't want a car without any more)
wind protection (for me a must - this is my first roadster/convertible)
Auto dim mirrors (both - internal and external - not a must but really nice to have)
sport seats (for me a must)
lumbar support (a must if you drive a lot - otherwise optional)
storage package (not really necessary)
wood (ash style) (depends on taste - at least aluminium is a must since I don't think the standard will look nice)
transport opening (not really necessary - sorry for the bad translation)
park distance control (for me a must)
rain sensor (for me a must)
adaptive lighting (for me a must - but in reality more "nice to have")
cruise control (for me a must - but in reality more "nice to have")
light package (not necessary - "tuning for the eyes")
navigation pro with iDrive (for me a must)
HiFi speakers (nice to have)
phone integration (for me a must since this is my business car - for most people "nice to have")
USB interface (a clear must!)
phone music player integration (nice to have)
roof liner anthrazit (a must for red interior or black without wood - for beige, black with wood and pure white it depends on taste - standard roof liner is beige!)

Once again, really: Please read the BMW marketing material. There is a lot of information in there which will help you making up your own mind. Once you have, come back with specific questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #26
handxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Thanks a lot for the great info ..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #27
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
The only thing I might consider changing is the antenna - I like the shorter one shown above. Overall I like the car the way that BMW have built it, and the way that I have spec'd it.
      05-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #28
zedfive
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5si

bosch aerotwin, short antenna, white angel eye and white turn signal light

Last edited by zedfive; 05-02-2009 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #29
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedfive View Post
bosch aerotwin, short antenna, white angel eye and white turn signal light
In the German forum somebody claimed that Bosch aerotwins don't work on BMW roadsters as their wind screen has a stronger curve.

This is also the reason why roadsters don't come with aerotwins by default (unlike other bmw models).

I don't know if this is correct but I thought you would like to know if you plan on getting some.

Question from my side:
white turn signals: how do you accomplish this? exchanging the light bulb?
which model? make?

same for angel eyes: what exactly do you exchange there?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
zedfive
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5si

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheinz_71 View Post

Question from my side:
white turn signals: how do you accomplish this? exchanging the light bulb?
which model? make?

same for angel eyes: what exactly do you exchange there?
angel eyes:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=piaa+brex

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=14430&page=1

turn signals:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=14
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #31
toofeu
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: Z35i dks

As I said in another Post, be careful with the anthracite roofline, it tends to keeps the marks from the other pieces when it is fold.
I saw the problem on the cars showed in the BMW Welt in Munich last week.
I don't know if it is very clear...
Appreciate 0