New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

07-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #23
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
They should take a look at how the set up the St Pete Grand Prix. Awesome event in St Petersburg Florida, from top to bottom. I’ve been a few times. If they can do it there I don’t understand why F1 can’t get it done in these bigger cities.
the right people weren't paid off.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 12:08 AM   #24
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
A bunch of Miami officials didn't give them the go ahead in time or something, worried about noise I guess. I heard they were trying to have it in Vegas in 2019 now.
A night race in Vegas would be ideal. That would be a very popular destination, everyone would be flying in for the weekend from all over the world. Being a night race, it could be placed on schedule anytime of the year. Vegas is becoming a big sports town with the Golden Knights and the Raiders coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #25
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
To my amazement, I actually had a friend who bought advanced tickets. He hadn't read any of the articles about the backlash, lack of approval, and lack of preparation. If you gave them 10 years, they still wouldn't have been ready.

I'm not ruling out another US F1 GP, but given how many worldwide venues are battling for a race, why would they have two in the US, which is not a big market? France, home of the grand prix, lost a race for 10 years. So did Austria, Argentina, San Marino, Luxemberg, etc.
I'd say F1 sees the US as a big potential market. Miami is a more international city than Austin so it probably fits F1 better. Also, NASCAR is hurting right now so it's a prime time to go after the US market.

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

F1 really wants NYC for the views and skyline, but those talks broke down years ago...a lot of politics involved. They were even in talks with Monticello MC, but too much would have to been built/added to accommodate the volume of ppl. I would think Miami is a logical 2nd choice. F1 and local representatives in Miami need to find a solution. C’mon 305 make it happen!”
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #27
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingobimmer View Post
I'd say F1 sees the US as a big potential market.
I thought so too, 20 years ago. Then they brought F1 back to the US at Indianapolis, and they had Michael Andretti, and Alex Zanardi, and Scott Speed, and the American F1 team (which first failed but then Haas succeeded). And Jeff Gordon and JP Montoya were swapping cars.

Then Indianapolis went bad, with the tire debacle, and the race where only 3 teams ran. And it all went away, all the enthusiasm and hope. The GP of America at Port Imperial went bust. So we have Austin, but it doesn't seem like the pendulum will ever swing towards the US being an important market.

There's money in the Middle East, and Asia, and real racing enthusiasm there. I don't see them ever shoehorning another US race into a 20-race international schedule.
Appreciate 0