New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

01-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #419
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Hurts is a true freshman and if he had to learn touch, or ball placement, or timing I might think differently ... but it's is general accuracy that's just poor and I don't think he can overcome it and balance the requirements of being the starting QB of a powerhouse program. I think when you look at some of the other true freshman starters (Francois, Buechele, Eason) you see far better accuracy.

OTOH, 'Bama's still 'Bama and it's not like they're going to fall off the face of the earth.
Accuracy comes with practice. It's as much about the receivers as it is with the QB. If you have a QB that's constantly practicing with the same receivers, accuracy should improve. Ohio State is a good example. We lost every starting receiver for the 2016 season, and the passing offense suffered big time.
      01-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #420
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I kept hearing "His last game at Clemson" last night. I didn't consider a transfer to somewhere else.

We certainly don't need him at #3 USC
IMO, it's inconceivable he'll return for 1 more year. Payday is 5 months away.

But to clarify what I'm saying here. Yes, if he were to return to Clemson next year (or any school), he must maintain minimum credit hours to be considered a full time student. Players in these situations start "post-graduate" work. But that doesn't mean they actually earn a post-graduate degree, they just work towards one. Hell he can take all the golf and basket-weaving classes he wants as long as he has enough credit hours to be considered a full time student and maintain eligibility to play next year.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-10-2017 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #421
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Accuracy comes with practice. It's as much about the receivers as it is with the QB. If you have a QB that's constantly practicing with the same receivers, accuracy should improve. Ohio State is a good example. We lost every starting receiver for the 2016 season, and the passing offense suffered big time.
Ohio State had a definite issue with receivers this year and that reflected in QB performance. I don't think you can say that about Alabama. I may turn out to be wrong on Hurts, but I just don't think he'll be in that very top tier of college QB's (and neither were Simms nor Coker ... but AJ probably was). He reminds me a bit of Tommy Armstrong, but not quite as good (by the way, I think Cornhuskers will be very interesting next year as Riley/Langsdorf will have a pro-style QB at the helm for the first time at Nebraska and will be able to run the kind of offence they ran with the Beavers instead of being out of their preferred element to cater to Armstrong's abilities... ).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #422
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ohio State had a definite issue with receivers this year and that reflected in QB performance. I don't think you can say that about Alabama. I may turn out to be wrong on Hurts, but I just don't think he'll be in that very top tier of college QB's (and neither were Simms nor Coker ... but AJ probably was). He reminds me a bit of Tommy Armstrong, but not quite as good (by the way, I think Cornhuskers will be very interesting next year as Riley/Langsdorf will have a pro-style QB at the helm for the first time at Nebraska and will be able to run the kind of offence they ran with the Beavers instead of being out of their preferred element to cater to Armstrong's abilities... ).
...the biggest difference is that Riley will have better talent than he had at Oregon State. He only had 1 year where all the talent pooled together in 2006.

It was impressive that he turn in 4 9+ win seasons with the lack of talent he had there. wow.

I don't know, I just don't see him turning the corner for Nebraska. He'll get 9 wins at Nebraska on talent alone. But they just aren't recruiting on the same level as Ohio State and Michigan, and you gotta beat at least one of these two teams to get to 10+ wins consistently.
      01-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #423
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Ohio State had a definite issue with receivers this year and that reflected in QB performance.
Not sold on JT Barrett as a passer. There is a reason Urban had a QB battle going on during 2015 season. Everyone was always saying why doesn't he just play Barret. JT doesn't have or will ever have a NFL type arm.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #424
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...the biggest difference is that Riley will have better talent than he had at Oregon State. He only had 1 year where all the talent pooled together in 2006.

It was impressive that he turn in 4 9+ win seasons with the lack of talent he had there. wow.

I don't know, I just don't see him turning the corner for Nebraska. He'll get 9 wins at Nebraska on talent alone. But they just aren't recruiting on the same level as Ohio State and Michigan, and you gotta beat at least one of these two teams to get to 10+ wins consistently.
Penn St is basically returning their entire team next season. They will be a Big 10 contender again.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #425
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
We certainly don't need him at #3 USC
Sam Darnold has Pac12 on lock next season.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #426
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
IMO, it's inconceivable he'll return for 1 more year. Payday is 5 months away.

But to clarify what I'm saying here. Yes, if he were to return to Clemson next year (or any school), he must maintain minimum credit hours to be considered a full time student. Players in these situations start "post-graduate" work. But that doesn't mean they actually earn a post-graduate degree, they just work towards one. Hell he can take all the golf and basket-weaving classes he wants as long as he has enough credit hours to be considered a full time student and maintain eligibility to play next year.
It'd be foolish for him to return another year.. already has the ring and payday is a sure thing.. time to make some money instead of forking over working for rich old men for free.. ridiculous how people make boatloads of money off unpaid college players
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      01-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #427
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Penn St is basically returning their entire team next season. They will be a Big 10 contender again.
They got to come to our house next year. A blind squirrel won't find the nuts twice!
      01-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #428
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:

When you look at what he did at Oregon State (there are more than 20 players in the NFL from his days at the program and probably a few more in the CFL) it was pretty remarkable. He took two star talents and made them big time, esp. at QB (Derek Anderson, Matt Moore, Sean Canfield, Sean Mannion). With the better recruiting base and profile of Nebraska, he will be able to put a better surrounding cast, esp. on the o-line. The only four star recruit he ever had at OSU was Quizz Rodgers, the rest of them (Cooks, Wheaton, Mannion, Levitre, Poyer, etc) were all two or three stars and look what he did with them. With the ability of Riley and his staff to spot diamonds in the rough and develop players, he doesn't need to out recruit Michigan or Ohio State to compete.

Also, he's in the other division. He needs to beat Wisconsin, Iowa, and a Minnesota team that might get very good, very fast under PJ Fleck, and maybe a rising Purdue under Jeff Brohm. That gets him to 10 wins. He needs to beat one those teams in a crossover to win the division and then obviously in a championship game to win the conference.

I think Nebraska did turn the corner this season in the sense that it's still mostly Pelini's players and it's just foundational. I think they will be very good next year, but so will Wisonsin and Iowa is always tough.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #429
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Bob Stoops leaving Oklahoma after 18 seasons.

Hmm.
      06-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #430
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Bob Stoops leaving Oklahoma after 18 seasons.

Hmm.
Shocking timing. Though it was smart. All the 2017 recruits are already in.

Tough to leave a top 10 program.