New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like Grille Inserts / Stripes?
Looks great I did, or would, do it. 10 7.19%
Looks great but not for me. 6 4.32%
I don't like it and would never do it. 92 66.19%
I don't care. Do what you want to your car. 37 26.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
DenverSteve's Avatar
375
Rep
406
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Denver / L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Tri-Color Grille Slat Covers/Stripes

I see these sometimes and my wife and I were having a chat about them. She thinks they look great while I'm not sure I like them but I've seen them on black grilles that look nice. It came up after seeing a neighbor with a 550i with them and his looked okay. I've checked threads on this and the opinions are pretty mixed. However, I did not see any polls where people could answer anonymously. What say you?

Last edited by DenverSteve; 09-15-2021 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
swagon's Avatar
No_Country
9000
Rep
6,435
Posts

Drives: F80 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Corny as fuck... and most are on non-M GmbH cars. But fake badging is so prevalent these days that the M stripes are the lesser evil.

I've noticed G20-style grilles are the new eBay fad now, though.
__________________
Appreciate 5
Merlin_83308.50
JTO243445.50
Germanauto6905.50
P18184.00
stein_325i16173.00
      09-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
rmanm4
First Lieutenant
rmanm4's Avatar
Canada
622
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 F82
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
A ///M Car does not need advertisement that its a ///M car!

I still dont understand M badging on non M cars. BMW really needs to stop using the M words so loosely!
Appreciate 3
packet221.00
stein_325i16173.00
      09-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #4
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
DenverSteve's Avatar
375
Rep
406
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Denver / L.A.

iTrader: (0)

This isn't about M badging, there's plenty of threads about that. Simply grille stripes. Did BMW ever use the grille-stripes on factory produced cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
Chihuahua
Colonel
Chihuahua's Avatar
2326
Rep
2,483
Posts

Drives: E30, F30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
This isn't about M badging, there's plenty of threads about that. Simply grille stripes. Did BMW ever use the grille-stripes on factory produced cars?
No.
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
erickonphoenix
Second Lieutenant
erickonphoenix's Avatar
United_States
737
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: Gray 328xi Touring
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (0)

I think early on the M stripes were kind of an homage to the brand from racing fans. I'd reckon today very few if any of the folks who deploy these colors know what they mean or even watch any motorsport.

but for the record...

The BLUE represents the city of Bavaria by using the Bavarian blue found on its flag.

The RED represents Texaco's red found in its logo. BMW partnered with the Texaco oil company during the early racing days.

The PURPLE color represents the merging of the two companies as partners in motorsport. Overlapping the blue over the red results in the color purple. This is a simple and elegant way to represent the partnership of two brands by.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 8
KennyFSU870.00
King Rudi11999.50
540iSUP85.50
packet221.00
ShocknAwe2928.50
Caduceus299.00
      09-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
DenverSteve's Avatar
375
Rep
406
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Denver / L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I think early on the M stripes were kind of an homage to the brand from racing fans. I'd reckon today very few if any of the folks who deploy these colors know what they mean or even watch any motorsport. ....
I think you're right. The Motorsport stripes preceded the first M3 by over 15 years making the stripes, and use thereof, more race-associated and less M-car associated. However, I think BMW drivers and fans today still identify with BMW's racing heritage and history. Without the history, current BMW performance cars are simply nice cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
6906
Rep
4,849
Posts

Drives: Alfa Giulia Ti, Rosso/Brown
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

A friend did this to his wife's new base model X5. I trolled him for it and he got a bit offended, stating it simply gives the car a "clean" look. This guy is a typical BMW image-conscious customer, not some purist.

I think it looks tacky, cheap, and try-hard. BMW M division has never put such stripes on grille slats, so what are you trying to emulate? If you want an M division product then work hard and buy one, don't try to accessorize your base white X5 to appear like something it is not.
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 2
packet221.00
XMetal774.00
      09-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
unluky
Major
unluky's Avatar
4111
Rep
1,097
Posts

Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sedalia, MO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
A friend did this to his wife's new base model X5. I trolled him for it and he got a bit offended, stating it simply gives the car a "clean" look. This guy is a typical BMW image-conscious customer, not some purist.

I think it looks tacky, cheap, and try-hard. BMW M division has never put such stripes on grille slats, so what are you trying to emulate? If you want an M division product then work hard and buy one, don't try to accessorize your base white X5 to appear like something it is not.
100% spot on. Same with M badges. Any non-BMW person has no idea what it is, and is therefore unimpressed. Any BMW person knows it's not an M car and is therefore unimpressed.......and thinks you are a childish posing douchebag.

It never has the desired effect, unless you wind up at Chili's and see someone else that did the same thing and thinks your cool because they did it too.
__________________
2015 X5 XDrive 35i - 2004 Z4 3.0 Sport
Appreciate 3
Germanauto6905.50
packet221.00
XMetal774.00
      09-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #10
..Rush..
Captain
..Rush..'s Avatar
United_States
742
Rep
786
Posts

Drives: AW E88
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Most cars that have these stripes are non- M cars.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto6905.50
King Rudi11999.50
      09-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #11
packet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
221
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport something
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
A ///M Car does not need advertisement that its a ///M car!

I still dont understand M badging on non M cars. BMW really needs to stop using the M words so loosely!
Amen to that. M sport this, something M that - it's just brand dilution.
My 5 came with the 'M' package (but honestly, it's marketing - changing the front bumper, lowering the suspension a tad, and adding M door sills won't suddenly transform the vehicle beyond looks)

My biggest peeve is however, the amount of 'M' logos in an M car. That just seems tacky. My thought is always 'huh did you forget what you are driving and need to be constantly reminded/reassured?'
Appreciate 1
rmanm4622.00
      09-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #12
rmanm4
First Lieutenant
rmanm4's Avatar
Canada
622
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 F82
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Amen to that. M sport this, something M that - it's just brand dilution.
My 5 came with the 'M' package (but honestly, it's marketing - changing the front bumper, lowering the suspension a tad, and adding M door sills won't suddenly transform the vehicle beyond looks)

My biggest peeve is however, the amount of 'M' logos in an M car. That just seems tacky. My thought is always 'huh did you forget what you are driving and need to be constantly reminded/reassured?'
100% true! AMG does the same unfortunately with real AMG cars. BMW charges too much for M package on non M cars and it doesnt really transform the car. They found a loop hole that makes them good money! At least the Competition package on M cars actually does something, imagine if it was just cosmetic upgrades???

Last edited by rmanm4; 09-15-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
packet221.00
      09-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #13
Almuliman
Private First Class
Almuliman's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Outside Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
BMW charges too much [...] They found a loop hole that makes them good money!
Pretty much describes what's driving BMW's lineup strategy these days. Gran Coupé XM116d – look for it in the next few years.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #14
packet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
221
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport something
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I have to admit, I didn't know the grille slat colors was not an OEM/direct from factory thing
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #15
Tyga11
Lieutenant
548
Rep
495
Posts

Drives: M4 Comp
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

It looks extremely tacky will make people think you're trying way too hard...
Appreciate 1
P18184.00
      09-15-2021, 09:22 PM   #16
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
729
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
BMW really needs to stop using the M words so loosely!
We all know "M" is for Marketing these days.
Appreciate 1
packet221.00
      09-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #17
packet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
221
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport something
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
We all know "M" is for Marketing these days.
The sad thing is, when you look beyond the marketing, an 'M' car is a pleasure to drive - even more than a regular BMW (which is fun to drive, well, most of them, anyway...)

I guess the only thing would be worse would be an M car without the substance of that powerful engine and suspension dynamics... ie, hollowed out but badged as a real M
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #18
rmanm4
First Lieutenant
rmanm4's Avatar
Canada
622
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 F82
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
A real M car would be a Z4M with a S58 engine. It will be hard to put down all that power as I can see wheel spin even in 3rd gear maybe even 4th!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #19
P1
Major General
P1's Avatar
United_States
8184
Rep
9,831
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

I'm sorry, but it's a terrible "mod". Why on earth would you add cheap tacky AliExpress to your car?
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #20
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
DenverSteve's Avatar
375
Rep
406
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Denver / L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I'm sorry, but it's a terrible "mod". Why on earth would you add cheap tacky AliExpress to your car?
I guess the same reason someone adds, useless Aliexpress splitters, spoilers, ground effects, downpipes, anything carbon fibre, mirror-caps and/or exhaust or??. That's the thing with judgemental/hypocritical people - they think their choices to change things from OEM is tasteful and additive and what other's do is "terrible" or ....

However, I have no concern, interest, problem or judgement on what you do to your property. It's similar to the rude A-holes who berated a member here for his/her (don't know) choice in the color of X4 they chose to purchase. Who the hell gave them the queer-eye to decide what color car someone else should buy? I may have mentioned that I think the grille-inserts aren't my cup of tea but I couldn't care a lick what someone does to her/his car if it makes them happy.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 09-16-2021 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #21
TheRussski
Captain
TheRussski's Avatar
396
Rep
681
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SD

iTrader: (0)

I cringed twice today seeing X5 and 4 series with them grill stripes

Noticed most cars that have those are non-M models. Not as bad as putting M badge on a regular series BMW but right behind it.
Appreciate 1
chris7194936.50
      09-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #22
P1
Major General
P1's Avatar
United_States
8184
Rep
9,831
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I guess the same reason someone adds, useless Aliexpress splitters, spoilers, ground effects, downpipes, anything carbon fibre, mirror-caps and/or exhaust or??. That's the thing with judgemental/hypocritical people - they think their choices to change things from OEM is tasteful and additive and what other's do is "terrible" or ....

However, I have no concern, interest, problem or judgement on what you do to your property. It's similar to the rude A-holes who berated a member here for his/her (don't know) choice in the color of X4 they chose to purchase. Who the hell gave them the queer-eye to decide what color car someone else should buy? I may have mentioned that I think the grille-inserts aren't my cup of tea but I couldn't care a lick what someone does to her/his car if it makes them happy.
This is the difference though: you're on a forum. We are here to exchange information and opinions. I won't go lean out my window and yell at a poor sap for having an M badge on his non-M BMW. But if you post it on this forum wanting an opinion, I'll give it to you straight.
Appreciate 2
packet221.00
chris7194936.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST