New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #45
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Wanna share those gloves?
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Have you thought about crossover?

I went with my C-HR precisely for the same reasons you brought up about having ample trunk space with the rear seats up. I was set on buying the new Corolla Hatchback until I got to see the trunk in person. Toyota claims in their specs the Hatchback is only 2 cf down from the C-HR's? Looking at them in person that's a total lie. The Hatchback's trunk is way smaller.

My C-HR has a flexible trunk cover which keeps things hidden from view. It's also nice that it's flexible in case you have items that are a bit taller which the cover can conform around. But you can order the hard cover version.

Another option in this class is the Honda HR-V.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #47
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

As much as I don't care for them, a Chevy Malibu might tick a lot of your boxes..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #48
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Original choice is probably your best bet. It's going to have pretty much everything you're looking for; comfortable, sporty, and it's decent looking. As mentioned before, I think the Mazda 3 is at least worth the consideration, and a test drive.

Needing something larger? I think someone already mentioned the new sonata as a possible choice. Crosstrek might be another car to look at once they the updated version is released with more power. I think you can get a Legacy Premium for under 25k. Not sure how that car compares to the Mazda 6 and Accord, though.
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #49
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Original choice is probably your best bet. It's going to have pretty much everything you're looking for; comfortable, sporty, and it's decent looking. As mentioned before, I think the Mazda 3 is at least worth the consideration, and a test drive.

Needing something larger? I think someone already mentioned the new sonata as a possible choice. Crosstrek might be another car to look at once they the updated version is released with more power. I think you can get a Legacy Premium for under 25k. Not sure how that car compares to the Mazda 6 and Accord, though.
Accord Sport was what I was trying to talk myself into before I found the Forte GT. The Accord Sport is bigger, but uglier inside and out. I haven't looked at the Legacy. I gotta build one.
Redline Reviews did a pretty good back-and-forth with the Mazda 3 and the Forte GT in the video below. The more I look, my thoughts are confirmed that the Mazda 3 isn't my choice over the Forte GT.

04-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #50
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Although its not 'new new' my GF picked up a 2019 TLX A spec for low 30s with only 5000 miles. Acura CPO covers the powertrain for 7 years 100k miles. 0 down and financing was at 1%. Tried getting her into a new accord sport instead (i think the interior is way better) but she hates the tail lights and prefers the broader powerband the TLX offers with the v6 + 9 speed auto option. You can spec them with AWD if you want, but we felt it was unnecessary.

The ACC is decent. I use it for my commute all the time. Its not the best thing in the world but as an assist (just barely nudging the wheel in the direction you want to go while kicking back in your seat) it works good. Takes a lot of effort out of my empty highway commute.

I turn off the distance control. even at the closest setting its still too far behind. And once the guy in front does move over, the car waits a few seconds and then hammers the throttle to go back to your cruise speed.

plenty of CPO cars in the mid-20s with a V6 or I4.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #51
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Although its not 'new new' my GF picked up a 2019 TLX A spec for low 30s with only 5000 miles. Acura CPO covers the powertrain for 7 years 100k miles. 0 down and financing was at 1%. Tried getting her into a new accord sport instead (i think the interior is way better) but she hates the tail lights and prefers the broader powerband the TLX offers with the v6 + 9 speed auto option. You can spec them with AWD if you want, but we felt it was unnecessary.

The ACC is decent. I use it for my commute all the time. Its not the best thing in the world but as an assist (just barely nudging the wheel in the direction you want to go while kicking back in your seat) it works good. Takes a lot of effort out of my empty highway commute.

I turn off the distance control. even at the closest setting its still too far behind. And once the guy in front does move over, the car waits a few seconds and then hammers the throttle to go back to your cruise speed.

plenty of CPO cars in the mid-20s with a V6 or I4.
You say your girl friend bought the Acura and you drive a Ferrari (your signature) but you then say you use the Acura as your DD. Are you driving her car every day? What then is she driving?

You also say you use the ACC all the time but then you say you turn off the distance control. If you turn off the distance control on a BMW, you are turning off the ACC. Does Honda allow you to use your adaptive cruise control in non adaptive mode?

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 04-09-2020 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #52
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
You say your girl friend bought the Acura and you drive a Ferrari (your signature) but you then say you use the Acura as your DD. Are you driving her car every day? What then is she driving?

You also say you use the ACC all the time but then you say you turn off the distance control. If you turn off the distance control on a BMW, you are turning off the ACC. Does Honda allow you to use your adaptive cruise control in non adaptive mode?

Not driving her car everyday. Maybe 1-2x a week. I'll rotate it with the civic and M3. She is working from home (we live together) and can drive my civic if she wants to pop down to the store real quick or something like that. I still have to commute 80 miles round trip to the office. I don't want to just needlessly depreciate her car with miles.

I'm not familiar with the acronyms so i had to look it up. I meant LKAS (lane keep assist) not ACC, sorry. With the tlx i can set either the acc or lkas, or both. I can run lane keep assist without cruise control on as well. But yes for the ACC cruise control has to be on.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #53
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Not driving her car everyday. Maybe 1-2x a week. I'll rotate it with the civic and M3. She is working from home (we live together) and can drive my civic if she wants to pop down to the store real quick or something like that. I still have to commute 80 miles round trip to the office. I don't want to just needlessly depreciate her car with miles.

I'm not familiar with the acronyms so i had to look it up. I meant LKAS (lane keep assist) not ACC, sorry. With the tlx i can set either the acc or lkas, or both. I can run lane keep assist without cruise control on as well. But yes for the ACC cruise control has to be on.
Gotcha. Now makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:37 AM   #54
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Honda Insight. You could get a lower end model in your price range, but you should find a one year old Touring edition.

It's fantastic. Hassle free. The tech is solid, the mileage is phenomenal, and it's just a relaxing place to be. Zero complaints. 10/10 would buy again.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      04-12-2020, 12:48 AM   #55
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Honda Insight. You could get a lower end model in your price range, but you should find a one year old Touring edition.

It's fantastic. Hassle free. The tech is solid, the mileage is phenomenal, and it's just a relaxing place to be. Zero complaints. 10/10 would buy again.
And its actually a very nice looking sedan inside and out. Its hard to say that about most hybrids,... we all know which car I'm specifically talking about
      04-12-2020, 01:16 AM   #56
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
And is that its actually a very nice looking sedan inside and out. Its hard to say that about most hybrids,... we all know which car I'm specifically talking about
Exactly. It just looks like a slightly more grown up Civic, and it's a lot quicker than the Prius too. It attracts zero attention, it costs basically nothing to maintain. I get 400 miles of range on about $16 bucks worth of gas. It makes you appreciate your nicer cars more but it also makes you less annoyed to have to do menial tasks. There's just something relieving about running random 5 minute errands in something that's comfortable yet zero maintenance and doesn't even feel cheap. I'm 6'3, and I can spend a few straight traffic-laden hours in it without issue. Everyone laughs at how much I love that car. It's the running joke that the car I rave about most is a damn honda insight.

Will say though, it only realistically gets high 30s for mpg in the winter. 38-40ish i'd say. I easily get 45-50 in the warmer months though. When you're used to buying exclusively premium at Shell/Exxon/Mobil for 15 years, 38 is still fantastic when you're buying regular at 7-11.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #57
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Exactly. It just looks like a slightly more grown up Civic, and it's a lot quicker than the Prius too. It attracts zero attention, it costs basically nothing to maintain. I get 400 miles of range on about $16 bucks worth of gas. It makes you appreciate your nicer cars more but it also makes you less annoyed to have to do menial tasks. There's just something relieving about running random 5 minute errands in something that's comfortable yet zero maintenance and doesn't even feel cheap. I'm 6'3, and I can spend a few straight traffic-laden hours in it without issue. Everyone laughs at how much I love that car. It's the running joke that the car I rave about most is a damn honda insight.

Will say though, it only realistically gets high 30s for mpg in the winter. 38-40ish i'd say. I easily get 45-50 in the warmer months though. When you're used to buying exclusively premium at Shell/Exxon/Mobil for 15 years, 38 is still fantastic when you're buying regular at 7-11.
The problem with the Insight is the OP said he doesn't want a CVT.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #58
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

If you want ACC checkout comma.ai. I would HIGHLY recommend going with one of their supported vehicles. I went with a 2020 Corolla for our daily driver mainly because of comma support. I just drove an hour each way on the highway to get some stuff from the rv we keep in storage. Once on the highway I did not have to touch the wheel once.

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #59
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
If you want ACC checkout comma.ai. I would HIGHLY recommend going with one of their supported vehicles. I went with a 2020 Corolla for our daily driver mainly because of comma support. I just drove an hour each way on the highway to get some stuff from the rv we keep in storage. Once on the highway I did not have to touch the wheel once.
THIS is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
      04-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #60
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
THIS is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
It's a game changer if you have a long commute. I have the old EON version not the new Comma 2 but it is very very good. I was skeptical being open source and what not, but I was blown away by how well it works (at least in the 2020 corolla) and it gets better and better with every release.

That being said this is still a dev kit kinda so it's not as polished as buying a consumer product. May have to tweak stuff depending on the vehicle, but they have a discord and everyone there is super helpful. Although at this point I think most supported vehicles on a Comma 2 are plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #61
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Because I am in outside sales, I spend pretty much all day in my car. I call it "my office." I have to park my car in all kinds of situations... On the street in major cities in the northeast, and NYC-style parking garages where white-glove treatment is far from assured. This makes having a "beater" attractive. I can spread the miles driven across two cars, and keep my "nice car" out of bad weather and bad parking situations. Additionally, if I have a practical "beater" I can have a slightly less practical "nice car."

So I'm starting to do some more research in this area. Man, I am super-pissed we don't get the Forte 5 GT here, it seems to tick all the boxes. If we got it, I'd probably buy one right now.

But I'm trying to put together a list for this 2nd car, considering what I'm looking for. No SUVs/x-overs. I might even be tempted to go back to the 4 I had before. My big difference is that I'm fine with used from a few years back. Generally, looking for something with ACC, good carrying capacity, preferably AWD, if not FWD (spare me the BS about how you can drive on impacted-ice roads with your RWD car and racing slicks). Be nice if the cargo space was big enough that I could easily stick skis in or a bicycle-which would only be for the winter or in a pinch otherwise, since it's nice to have a warm bike and keep it out of the nasty (this time of the year). But barring that, at least enough space for things like skis or to be able to put my monstrous 1LE wheels in to get some new rubber. That means at least folding seats. Also, auto-start would be nice. Would plan on putting some big miles on the car going to Canada, cruising, want to be comfortable, want good mileage, the ACC, etc.
      04-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #62
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I'm finding it tough to find anything better FOR ME at ~$25k new than the Forte GT. It appears to be the sportiest sedan with ACC at that price point. I want to research the Forte GT's ACC system to make sure it's full featured (offering stop and go). Also I need to get in one and make sure it's comfortable.
Just as I was at the above I learned about that comma system mentioned earlier. I want to dig into that deeper to see how much/little bit will influence my shopping.
      04-13-2020, 12:28 AM   #63
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
I'm finding it tough to find anything better FOR ME at ~$25k new than the Forte GT. It appears to be the sportiest sedan with ACC at that price point. I want to research the Forte GT's ACC system to make sure it's full featured (offering stop and go). Also I need to get in one and make sure it's comfortable.
Just as I was at the above I learned about that comma system mentioned earlier. I want to dig into that deeper to see how much/little bit will influence my shopping.
Since my previous recommendation of the Mazda 3 is off the table, what about a new Hyundai Elantra GT? We drove one before picking the Mazda 3 Hatch. Sporty, dual clutch, can be had with ACC, pretty nice inside, and a good amount of room. I enjoyed it, it would make a great DD.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #64
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Stay away from anything DCT. Ford tried it and look at their disaster. Kia is going through their issues now. My friend bought a brand new 2020 Soul and at about 8000 miles is getting a whole new trans. I've had some issues with the DCT in my 135i. They've been largely resolved but I do get occasional issues.

DCTs are cool in concept and performance. But for a daily driver? I'd run away.
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #65
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:
Since my previous recommendation of the Mazda 3 is off the table, what about a new Hyundai Elantra GT? We drove one before picking the Mazda 3 Hatch. Sporty, dual clutch, can be had with ACC, pretty nice inside, and a good amount of room. I enjoyed it, it would make a great DD.
I believe the Hyundai Elantra is essentially a KIA Forte, but I haven't looked close enough to look at the difference. What is interesting is it appears Hyundai offers a better financing deal on their Elantra (84 months 0%, plus 120 days until 1st payment), than KIA does on their Forte (66 months 0%, plus 120 days until 1st payment).

The potential deal breaker for me with Hyundai KIA is that it appears that their ACC system disengages below 6 mph. Crap.
      04-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #66
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Stay away from anything DCT. Ford tried it and look at their disaster. Kia is going through their issues now. My friend bought a brand new 2020 Soul and at about 8000 miles is getting a whole new trans. I've had some issues with the DCT in my 135i. They've been largely resolved but I do get occasional issues.

DCTs are cool in concept and performance. But for a daily driver? I'd run away.
This is a legitimate concern, especially for someone like me who spends a lot of time in stop and go traffic. However this would be my second car, and Hyundai/KIA offers a huge warranty. I probably wouldn't let this fear stop me in my particular case.