New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-20-2020, 11:14 PM   #23
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
That's good to hear, but as a practical matter, with the symptoms she displays, I'd keep assuming she's positive for care and quarantine purposes. At her age, she'll do fine. False negatives are not uncommon with many COVID-19 tests.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #24
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Well folks, I regret to say that we lost a cousin in Miami due to possible Covid this past Saturday night. He complained of feeling ill since last Monday but didn’t seek treatment. Saturday evening before his brothers went out to a friends house, he complained of breathing complications but still refused to go to the hospital. He spoke to his mother who lives maybe a few miles away shortly around 9:30 who begged him to go but said he felt Ok. He was found unresponsive in bed around 11:30 Saturday night and received the news shortly after midnight.

He was only 33 years old.
Appreciate 6
vreihen1614883.50
eluded2959.00
King Rudi13152.00
Soul_Glo13282.50
wdb4673.00
      07-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #25
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Well folks, I regret to say that we lost a cousin in Miami due to possible Covid this past Saturday night. He complained of feeling ill since last Monday but didn't seek treatment. Saturday evening before his brothers went out to a friends house, he complained of breathing complications but still refused to go to the hospital. He spoke to his mother who lives maybe a few miles away shortly around 9:30 who begged him to go but said he felt Ok. He was found unresponsive in bed around 11:30 Saturday night and received the news shortly after midnight.

Damn, sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      07-24-2020, 03:13 AM   #26
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, you driving the Uber tonight?
JOKING, just trying to lift his spirits a bit.

My oldest, who lives in front room, is a nurse on the local COVID floor. My dad won't even talk to me any more, I get a text every now and then. Wife tried to drop some avocados from our backyard on their doorstep, they may still be there.
I think he should swap the uber for the van.

Sorry to hear what's going on F30lolz

CajunBMW you've been an absolute gentleman. Is there any advice you can offer our brother?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 03:33 AM   #27
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

So sad. Hope for recovery.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #28
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, you driving the Uber tonight?
JOKING, just trying to lift his spirits a bit.

My oldest, who lives in front room, is a nurse on the local COVID floor. My dad won't even talk to me any more, I get a text every now and then. Wife tried to drop some avocados from our backyard on their doorstep, they may still be there.
I think he should swap the uber for the van.

Sorry to hear what's going on F30lolz

CajunBMW you've been an absolute gentleman. Is there any advice you can offer our brother?
Happy to be of assistance. I am happy to provide any info about the virus and other things based on my experiences working in the field. Just fire away some questions and I will try to get answers.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      07-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #29
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Well folks, I regret to say that we lost a cousin in Miami due to possible Covid this past Saturday night. He complained of feeling ill since last Monday but didn't seek treatment. Saturday evening before his brothers went out to a friends house, he complained of breathing complications but still refused to go to the hospital. He spoke to his mother who lives maybe a few miles away shortly around 9:30 who begged him to go but said he felt Ok. He was found unresponsive in bed around 11:30 Saturday night and received the news shortly after midnight.

Quote:

Jesus - 33 really??? Perfectly active healthy 33 yr old??? I'm so sorry for your loss. We just lost our grandfather in SoFlo, he was 96, May have contracted it - but was slowly passing on regardless - doesn't make dealing with it any easier of course. Feels like being kicked while down.. trying to grieve during this time is extra rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      07-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #30
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Well folks, I regret to say that we lost a cousin in Miami due to possible Covid this past Saturday night. He complained of feeling ill since last Monday but didn’t seek treatment. Saturday evening before his brothers went out to a friends house, he complained of breathing complications but still refused to go to the hospital. He spoke to his mother who lives maybe a few miles away shortly around 9:30 who begged him to go but said he felt Ok. He was found unresponsive in bed around 11:30 Saturday night and received the news shortly after midnight.

Sorry for your loss. Wish he would of gone and gotten some help, COVID is no joke.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      07-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #31
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I've dealt with quite a bit of co-workers talking about how this is a conspiracy. Week before last, two people in my town died of COVID that hit really close to home. The girlfriends, ex-husbands parents tested positive, the father died the week after. A girl that we graduated with died of it as well. She was 3 years younger than us and in much better shape.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      07-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #32
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I've dealt with quite a bit of co-workers talking about how this is a conspiracy. Week before last, two people in my town died of COVID that hit really close to home. The girlfriends, ex-husbands parents tested positive, the father died the week after. A girl that we graduated with died of it as well. She was 3 years younger than us and in much better shape.
I know the conspiracy stuff is very sad and very deadly as people are not taking this seriously. It is truly disheartening to see people not taking it seriously since the outcome of the increased spread due to lack of precautions, affects everyone.

We have diagnosed so many folks with the virus over the past few months and are ramping up for increased testing, which will definitely be needed. With Louisiana being a hot zone for the virus, we will be very busy. Yesterday we were number 1 in total per capita cases and in the rate of growth of new cases per capita, I believe we were second in the world behind Florida.

It is definitely no joke. We send strike teams to nursing homes over much of the north and central parts of the state and find horrible numbers of positive cases. This allows the folks to get early medical intervention, but sadly not all make it.

I will say that with common sense and a healthy respect for viral spread, one can go about their life pretty safely. We never leave home without a mask and just try to stay away from folks at the store (ie social distancing).

Stay safe.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614883.50
King Rudi13152.00
      07-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #33
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The other department head, whom has staff int he same building as I, called me Saturday: one of her staff's sisters tested positive, she feels sick as well.

My GF-in law came home from work, 3 of her staff came to work and were tested with a fever, sent home. Do we want her to find another place to live?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #34
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
If you are over 60, are overweight or have underlying medical conditions I would worry, if not 99% of the ppl that get it recover fine
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      07-27-2020, 05:55 PM   #35
m4dbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:

Very sorry to hear this. Did the Dr. say exactly what caused his death (ie. infection, pneumonia, sepsis, heart attack, asphyxiation)?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but many of the deceased have been marked as died from 'Covid-19' even without testing positive, and only because of symptons. No conspiracy, just the truth. The list of symptoms is so long that you can literally mark anyone as died from Covid-19 if you wanted to.

Another way to put this, people die from the Flu all year, however it never gets marked this way on a death certificate which is why the CDC guesses the annual mortality rate. Instead, people die from pneumonia or sepsis, NOT Influenza.

Please do not take offense, I'm only seeking answers to what appears to be the biggest scam of our lives. We can all agree coronavirus is real, and can be deadly. How deadly is the question. When the media continues to dodge other experts and fails to ask real questions while State Health Depts and Officials are willfully distorting the evidence to make it look worse, we all need to be asking for only the facts.
Appreciate 3
F30lolz6798.50
Hawkeye2069.50
DYoung32.00
      07-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #36
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear this. As a front line worker in south florida, we are being pushed to the limit. I hope we can get this under control soon. May your cousin rest in peace.
Appreciate 3
F30lolz6798.50
wdb4673.00
      07-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #37
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone for the support. So far I haven’t heard anything about the autopsy but I would assume Covid caused this as his girlfriend tested positive recently.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #38
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Was he in good health otherwise? And I'm sorry for your loss.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #39
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Was he in good health otherwise? And I'm sorry for your loss.
He was overweight but not a whale, though he could have been in better shape. Basically to be honest, he wasn’t in good health as he didn’t take care of himself.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
If you are over 60, are overweight or have underlying medical conditions I would worry, if not 99% of the ppl that get it recover fine
54, type 1 diabetes, +15-20 lbs

Still running 5k 1-2/week
      07-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #41
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
99% huh? Can you source that?
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      07-27-2020, 11:18 PM   #42
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Sooooo... like over 70% of the US population should be worried. No biggie.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      07-28-2020, 12:01 AM   #43
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
Sooooo... like over 70% of the US population should be worried. No biggie.
As of now the case fatality rate is over 1%. Most believe it will dip under 1%, but until more evidence is available, we are currently sitting at a number over 1%. If it stayed at 1% that would make it 10X more deadly than the the flu on a normal to bad year (I am not talking about the 1918-1920 Spanish flu). But even that is misleading, because in many folks in which the infection is not fatal, they do become seriously ill and require hospitalization. Right now it is roughly 10% of the infections that seem to that require hospitalizations. These are massive numbers that are threatening and or are taxing and overwhelming our healthcare system.

When one thinks of this in scale of the entire naive population then numbers sound bad. Usually a bit over 7% of folks are infected with the flu on a given year. We are closing in on that number as a whole population in the US and in some places are above that number with no real end of the infection in sight. If we double, quadruple or more that number than the potential number of total infections, total hospitalizations, and more sadly serious morbidity and mortality also goes up as well. In addition, many folks are now showing lasting effects that may go on for weeks to months, and perhaps longer. This last point is a real concern.

It is definitely a weird virus with a sizable infected population that is asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic on one end and with serious outcomes and long term disease on the other end. It is definitely very sad and tragic and it is hard not see this suffering when you work in this area.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      07-28-2020, 12:02 AM   #44
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

COVID-19 Possibly Hitting Home

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the support. So far I haven't heard anything about the autopsy but I would assume Covid caused this as his girlfriend tested positive recently.
Definitely very sorry for your loss.
Appreciate 0