New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
JohnT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i

Headlight adjustment, UK to Europe

When I first got my Z4 I read the manual cover to cover and saw that you could adjust the beam throw for UK or Europe.
Well I'm off to Germany over the long weekend and now have found the amendment saying you need to contact dealer and use beam convertors, I can't believe that a modern car would still use these.
Anyway, does anyone know if you still need to adjust the headlights for short trips?
Most driving will be done during the day, so will probably not bother. If anyone has any tips it would be welcome.
John
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Looking for info on this too.

I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly on here??) that there's some sort of switch/lever that allows you to convert the headlights from UK to European but can't for the life of me find it.

Have too read in the manual that I need to get some headlight converters.

Can anyone shed any light on this topic. Do we really need to purchase headlight converters or can someone categorically confirm if there is a switch/lever of sorts.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Here's a link that may be what your looking for.

Right Hand to Left Hand Drive Headlights Adjustment

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 08-02-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Teague,

Thanks but the post you linked to doesn't really answer my question. Or maybe it's just me that's brain dead.

I've been doing some more searches and have read some posts on another forum which suggest that Xenon's, because they have a 'flat' beam pattern, don't need adjusting. Admittedly I believe the post refers to the previous Z4 model (E85 & E86).

Anyone know for certain if:
a) The lights need adjusting for driving on the continent, and
b) if so, is there a lever/switch to make the adjustment and where is it?

I called my dealer this morning who firstly asked if I had Xenon or Halogen lights ( ) and when I said that I had Xenon, said that I would need to take the car in as to carry out the adjustment, they will need to take some parts off but suggested there is a lever/switch. Of course, there is a charge for this.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I've phoned around a few BMW dealers and nobody, so far, really knows. One said that I need a sticker kit, one said that there's a lever (although couldn't tell me exactly where the lever is but suggested I read the manual), and one said I need to take it into the workshop to get it done.

The 'workshop' solution I find a little strange as that would potentially mean that I would be driving in the UK with a non UK compliant beam pattern until I obviously went abroad.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
asty
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Not sure if this helps but on my old Audi TT MKII you could remove the non-xenon headlight cluster and flick the lever. After following the detailed instructions someone posted on the TT forum it took me about an hour. After a few practice runs, I got the process down to 15 minutes at the ferry port but it was still quite fiddly.

For xenon lights it was reportedly dealer adjustment only. Some people said stick ons were fine, others that sticks don't work for xenon beams.... so just as confusing, sorry!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Asty,

Thanks for your input. I'm beginning to think it's somethignt hat needs to be done in the workshop.

I've now spoken to 9 different dealers service departments and still I'm no nearer to getting an answer. A couple have actually said it's in the manual and pretty much put the phone down on me!

I've finally spoken to someone who has promised to get to the bottom of the issue and get back to me in a few hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But then again, I've heard that before and they never got back to me.

If it is a workshop job then so be it. Although I would find it somewhat short sighted (if you set aside the fact that it's more revenue for the dealers aside) if it is the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So one of the dealers called me back to say that BMW don't sell foils (which I assume are the stickers that put on the front of the headlights) for this car and they've had one of their techs have a look at one of their Z4's in their showroom and they don't appear to have the levers/switch either!

Anyway, the Service Agent told me that she had emailed a BMW engineer who may know more and will hopefully have an update for me tomorrow.

Kudos to her for taking ownership of the issue and seeking an answer. This is the service I expect. Some of the other dealers were terrible. They simply had no interest in assisting.

Will update as and when I have more info.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Karen and John
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Sorry for the delayed reply but I only read this thread today.

I investigated this issue when I got our Z4 last year and there was some confusion over which headlights were fitted to my car (I have a UK RHD car but live in Portugal).

I can confirm that there is no lever to flatten the headlight dip pattern.

However, my experience is that the standard pattern is flat enough: I have never been flashed by approaching vehicles, something that happened all the time in my Jaguar XF, even with the Xenon beam pattern flattened using the levers.

You can raise or lower the throw of the headlights manually. So for driving in Europe you could try lowering your nearside headlight. I copied this from another post, although I have not tried it myself:

You can flatten the lights by looking for the white hexagon sockets behind the lights and the black covers. Anyone who wants to raise their headlights manually, turn the white screws CLOCKWISE. Counter-clockwise lowers them.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
CarAbuser467.50
      08-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

One dealer did eventually call me back and told me that a Regional Technical Manager said that there is a lever/switch but it's essentially impossible to get to without removing the the wheel arch trim (and not just the little cover that allows you to get to the indicator lights). As a result it's a workshop job.

I had my car already booked with my local dealer who also though (but sounded far from sure) that the modification was a job for the workshop. They, as well as the dealer that actually took time out to investigate, quoted me a one off charge which would cover me for making the change for our departure and one for when we got back.

I took the car to them yesterday morning and after some time, the engineer came out to tell me that in fact there does not appear to be a lever/switch. He did however say that he had checked the beam pattern and found it to be almost completely flat and invited me to see for myself. I can confirm that, certainly where my car is concerned, the beam pattern is indeed practically flat. There was a very small step which also seemed to be dimmer than the lower part of the beam but I'm talking about a few millimeters.

The engineer confirmed that I would not dazzle anyone abroad with these lights.

He did also find a screw in one of my rear tires so the visit was far from cheap as I had a new tire fitted but that's another story.

Thanks again for your post.
Appreciate 1
mittu27.50
      08-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

If it helps at all, i have driven my LHD Zettie several times "Calais to Dover via P&O] and have crossed England, motorway to Oswestry and then B roads to Chirk and never been flash or waved at without adjusting the lights, so I would expect you will not have an issue. However i did get flashed at in Rippon but I may have been driving on the right [WRONG] side of the road around 4 AM or so....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
. . . [WRONG] side of the road around 4 AM or so....
That can be hard on your health
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #13
Silverstar
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Sdrive30i

Hi new Z4 owner here. I thought I'd resurrect this old thread for anyone interested in this topic. A few weeks ago I purchased a 2009 Z4 E89 Sdrive30i RHD in the UK for the purpose of leaving it at my home in Spain and to re-register the car in Spain.

Naturally I was concerned about adjusting the lights to drive on the right and looking in the manual it says there is a lever in the headlight to do it but when I look at the headlights from within the engine compartment I couldn't see anything. I called BMW dealers (a few of them) and they all said the same thing that the beam pattern is flat and do not need adjusting. My mechanic in the UK tested them on his beam pattern testing machine and indeed it is pretty flat. So I drove the car from the UK through France and into Spain without any issues at all , no one flashing me at night etc.

As part of the registration process in Spain you have to take the car for an ITV (Spanish version of the MOT) when the ITV centre tested the lights they failed it saying that they are ever so slightly deflecting to the left. The tester said it wasn't major but the machine is detecting it is going to the left so he has to fail it.

After watching a video on youtube of someone adjusting the beam pattern of their xenons on a E85 Z4 it turns out there is a lever to adjust the beam pattern. So today I decided to check for myself thinking the headlamp design can't be that different to the E85 and it wouldn't say so in the manual if it wasn't possible. I can confirm that there is a lever in the headlights that will adjust the lights for driving on the left or the right.

To get to it you need to take the wheel off remove some of the wheel arch lining so you can get directly behind the headlights, you need to remove the xenon bulb and then right at the front of the projector lamp there is black half round / arched shape lever which you pull up to drive in Europe.

After doing that and testing the lights against a wall I can see now the left side of the car the beam pattern is low and and flat with a slight raise in height on the right side whereas previously it was the other way round.

So now hopefully the lights will pass the ITV when I take it there either Monday or Tuesday. In conclusion if you are just driving through Europe for a holiday you won't need to do anything but if like me you are looking to register the car in Europe then you will need to adjust them.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 02:58 AM   #14
Volker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89, Marcos 1600 GT

Thanks, very helpful, have to convert my rhd Z4 for german TÜV within the next two weeks... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #15
fmjpf
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 e89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
Hi new Z4 owner here. I thought I'd resurrect this old thread for anyone interested in this topic. A few weeks ago I purchased a 2009 Z4 E89 Sdrive30i RHD in the UK for the purpose of leaving it at my home in Spain and to re-register the car in Spain.

Naturally I was concerned about adjusting the lights to drive on the right and looking in the manual it says there is a lever in the headlight to do it but when I look at the headlights from within the engine compartment I couldn't see anything. I called BMW dealers (a few of them) and they all said the same thing that the beam pattern is flat and do not need adjusting. My mechanic in the UK tested them on his beam pattern testing machine and indeed it is pretty flat. So I drove the car from the UK through France and into Spain without any issues at all , no one flashing me at night etc.

As part of the registration process in Spain you have to take the car for an ITV (Spanish version of the MOT) when the ITV centre tested the lights they failed it saying that they are ever so slightly deflecting to the left. The tester said it wasn't major but the machine is detecting it is going to the left so he has to fail it.

After watching a video on youtube of someone adjusting the beam pattern of their xenons on a E85 Z4 it turns out there is a lever to adjust the beam pattern. So today I decided to check for myself thinking the headlamp design can't be that different to the E85 and it wouldn't say so in the manual if it wasn't possible. I can confirm that there is a lever in the headlights that will adjust the lights for driving on the left or the right.

To get to it you need to take the wheel off remove some of the wheel arch lining so you can get directly behind the headlights, you need to remove the xenon bulb and then right at the front of the projector lamp there is black half round / arched shape lever which you pull up to drive in Europe.

After doing that and testing the lights against a wall I can see now the left side of the car the beam pattern is low and and flat with a slight raise in height on the right side whereas previously it was the other way round.

So now hopefully the lights will pass the ITV when I take it there either Monday or Tuesday. In conclusion if you are just driving through Europe for a holiday you won't need to do anything but if like me you are looking to register the car in Europe then you will need to adjust them.
Hey Silverstar

I'm looking to import my UK car to Belgium and in the light unit there is no lever, but am I reading correctly there is indeed a light toggle if you remove the inner wheel arch?

Do you have the video you mentioned?

Also I guess you car passed the TIV?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
Silverstar
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Sdrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjpf View Post
Hey Silverstar

I'm looking to import my UK car to Belgium and in the light unit there is no lever, but am I reading correctly there is indeed a light toggle if you remove the inner wheel arch?

Do you have the video you mentioned?

Also I guess you car passed the TIV?
Hi, check this video:

The principle is the same although the design of the lights in our E89 is a little different. Also you will need to remove the wheels and part of the wheel arch liner to gain access to the headlight cover in the E89 as opposed to just removing an inspection cover on the E85.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #17
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

I have had the E89 lights apart, total different set up.
One lamp does main and dipped via a shutter.
The shutter has a cut away for left or right hand drive cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:14 AM   #18
Joy
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89 (2011)

same problem: convert rhd headlights to lhd

Hi all,
I live in Spain and bought a Z4 E89 (2011) it didn't pass the ITV (technic control) and now I'm illegal to run. I saw this post and believed I had any hope to solve the problem. I contacted my BMW garage but they told me that they contacted BMW and the only solution is to replace both headlights... (1.500 Euros)...
My question is: the lever in the headlight that change from rhd to lhd is real or just a legend? how can I verify it? there is an official document (pdf or web link) that can certify the existence of this lever?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #19
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No lever, just a fixed cut off.
I tried after market headlight. Only came in lefthand drive version.
I had to send back.
You could fit this after market head light, go look at Autodoc seller site.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #20
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and John View Post
I investigated this issue when I got our Z4 last year and there was some confusion over which headlights were fitted to my car (I have a UK RHD car but live in Portugal).
I can confirm that there is no lever to flatten the headlight dip pattern.

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 01-26-2022 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:13 PM   #21
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

This is left hand drive aftermarket.
Drop on the right. Projection is inverted and reversed to give a right bias for left hand drive car.
This was no good for my UK car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0