New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
r3vmatch
Rep
Drives: 3.0si Roadster

Steering feel of E89 vs. E85?

Hey guys,

For those who moved up to the E89 from the E85, any thoughts on how much better / worse cornering and steering feel is in the E89? I've read various posts that say the E85 has "go kart" like steering and th E89 is a bit more luxury with some fun. Others say they loved their E89.

It's my understanding BMW revised the steering in the E89 and updated the EPAS -- the question is, did they make it better, worse or just different? This article claims they improved the steering feel in E89 and "fixed" the road wandering of the E85:

https://richardaucock.wordpress.com/...assis-secrets/

I've been trying to locate an E85 3.0si without that much luck, but did find a few of the E89 w/sdrive28i which is the configuration I'd want so I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

From my research awhile back I think one complaint that only got addressed in the E89 w/sdrive35is is the steering feel was made heavier at high speeds in sport mode but that "fix" didn't show up in the other model configurations.

Normally I would just go and try to drive the vehicles myself but it seems like almost all inventory is with a dealer like Carvana.

Last edited by r3vmatch; 04-24-2022 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3vmatch View Post
Hey guys,

For those who moved up to the E89 from the E85, any thoughts on how much better / worse cornering and steering feel is in the E89? I've read various posts that say the E85 has "go kart" like steering and th E89 is a bit more luxury with some fun. Others say they loved their E89.

It's my understanding BMW revised the steering in the E89 and updated the EPAS -- the question is, did they make it better, worse or just different? This article claims they improved the steering feel in E89 and "fixed" the road wandering of the E85:

https://richardaucock.wordpress.com/...assis-secrets/

I've been trying to locate an E85 3.0si without that much luck, but did find a few of the E89 w/sdrive28i which is the configuration I'd want so I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

From my research awhile back I think one complaint that only got addressed in the E89 w/sdrive35is is the steering feel was made heavier at high speeds in sport mode but that "fix" didn't show up in the other model configurations.

Normally I would just go and try to drive the vehicles myself but it seems like almost all inventory is with a dealer like Carvana.
I'm pretty unbiased because I have an E89 but would've liked an E85/86. I think the general consensus is correct in that the 1st gen was more sporty and the 2nd gen more GT/upscale, so depends what you prefer.

Re the bold, I don't consider that a fix at all and actually quite the opposite. I tested all 3 trims available here at the time (30i/35i/35is) and I found that the mandatory Servotronic steering in the 35is (it was optional in the other trims) to be very bothersome, i could feel it artificially get lighter or heavier depending on the speed and it's very upsetting *to me*. Some ppl might strangely like it or not be bothered by it, but I cannot see anything that makes steering feel so artificial and so obvious to be a good thing.

GL w your car search.

EDIT: to elaborate on my response to your bold, besides Servotronic, you may also be talking about the different sports driving modes, in which case all trims have that and that affects steering feel/throttle response, so it's not exclusive to the 35is (although
for that model it affects the damper settings as well)
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 04-24-2022 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

I went from a stock E85 3.0 to the E89 spec’d below. Even with RFT the E85 was more responsive. The E89 is a heavy and comfortable GT. Loads of understeering. Not really a sportscar.

The specs below got it to where I feel comfortable in the streets. They match my driving style. They also cost $8,000.

It’s not yet a sportscar, but at least it’s point and go.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 10:22 PM   #4
r3vmatch
Rep

Hey Marcoose,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
The specs below got it to where I feel comfortable in the streets. They match my driving style. They also cost $8,000.

It’s not yet a sportscar, but at least it’s point and go.
I checked your signature to see what changes you made ; sounds like monoball + camber plates, wasn't sure what KW V3 is. Were these the only "suspension" related changes?

After these changes are you happy with the handling?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 03:47 AM   #5
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Rev, KW is a German aftermarket suspension vendor. (Like Öhlins, Penske, etc.) The V3 is their top model for the sDrive35is. I’ve bought it with the adaptive idiot delete. The local indy also added negative camber on all four, about -2° IIRC (I’ll check it for you.) This last mod requires the monoballs and camber plates.

The KW V3 is a coilover that totally replaces the adaptive suspension. No more AS. But with the right setup, it’s far better than AS. Impressively.

This setup is working well with the PS4S, and most importantly, for my driving style. Other drivers may find it rubbish. For me, it’s tits!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
r3vmatch
Rep

Another interesting thread about suspension upgrades to an E89 (not my work obviously):

https://www . s p o o l s t r e e t .c o m /threads/z4-track-ready-sleeper-build.3026/
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 07:20 PM   #7
golfguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

I had both the 3.0i and the M E85. My understanding is that all E85s except the M had electric power steering as opposed to the M, which had hydraulic boost. I think all E89s have electric boost. The E85 M steering feel was tremendous. I had to trade it because of personal reasons the time, but I still miss it. My E89 35is is very fun, but it doesn't have the steering feel and accuracy of the M. I think the E85 M will always be the pinnacle of the type. It's a true sports car.
2008 ///M Roadster Black Sapphire Metallic/Imola Red 6sp manual (gone and lamented)
2012 128i Convertible Vermilion Red/Oyster AT (gone)
2007 335i Convertible Space Gray Metallic/Light Silver Gray AT (gone)
2006 Z4 3.0i Montego Blue/Sand Beige AT (gone)
2000 323i Sienna Red/Beige AT(gone)
1985 318i Alpine White/Navy cloth 5sp manual (gone)
Appreciate 0